Feeling unwell in stopping

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 59 and I am a moderate drinker, three glasses of wine a day, but now and then I binge drink, when I drink now I get really drunk really fast and hangovers are a killer, So I have stopped 3 days now and feel ill.

I am getting palpitations, cant sleep, when I do sleep I wake up and feel like someone is sitting on me

I get dizzy sells and nausea, I cant shake this terrible feeling of anxiety and fear.

Is this normal and how long will it last?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gary,

I haven't got to the point that I feel ill if I don't drink so I can't really say.  I tend to binge like crazy and feel so low after that I have another drink to feel less rubbish for a little while longer.  So therefore I cannot really comment on if what you are experiencing is normal.  However, what I have read is that at a certain stage you can experience withdrawel symptoms.  And that you shouldn't go straight cold turkey so to speak.  However, there is also the issue that if you have a drink to keep your body ticking over then you hit the same old problem of drinking more than you maybe should.

Best bet is to speak to your Dr or ask to see an alcohol counsellor.  It may not help but perhaps it will...

Good luck. I know I need it myself too :S

x

• Posted

HI  Gary, well done for what you have achieved so far. I can tell you in all honesty that this awful withdrawal will pass very soon. 

(I was sectioned four times and also went through many home detox trial he at home)  Once the withdrawal symptoms have passed you will feel so different it is amazing, your self esteem will return. It will not be easy, but it is worth all the work. I was a chronic alcoholic for many years but I managed to stop and keep it up, it has been over ten years now for me, and your life will gust keep getting better. I promise you that you will stop having withdrawal symptoms very soon... take care, be kind to yourself. Deirdre xu

• Posted

Deirdre, you are a rock, well done, I am feeling allot better, ive had good days and bad I have fallen off the wagon a couple of times and now when I drink I feel quite ill, last night I went to a big function and got throught it drinking only tonic water, watching people scull down wine and beer and seeing how much they drink was amazing, Im so proud I didnt falter, this morning I awake feeling well, no hangover, its amazing but I know its a long road only I can travel, thanks for your kind thoughts.
    • Posted

Hi Gary, I am so pleased to hear that you are feeling better, it is bliss not to have a hangover isn't it. Don't ever feel down or beat yourself as failing if you fall off the wagon, I did very, very many times, it took me many years to be able to go anywhere and not have a bottle in my handbag!! I promise you that it does get easier with time and you get your life back and actually like yourself again. You deserve to feel very proud of yourself, and I sincerely wish to all the luck in the world. Hold your head up high and be kind to yourself. Take care. Deirdre xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.