Feeling Very Cold

Posted , 5 users are following.

I get this where I get days where I feel very very cold, even if wearing lots of clothes and all heating on high. Then a few days where itis fine again and so on. Have done basic research which says it can be anaemia or thyroid

but I eat properly, have iodine and vitamin b and iron. And why would it go and then come back>

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Cold body temperature is a common symptom of hypothyroidism. Your thyroid (or is it the pituitary affecting the thyroid?) regulates body temperature. If you have Hashimoto's which is an autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid, iodine will make you worse because it incites an autoimmune response. Do you have periods of fatigue alternating with energy? Or just fatigue? Often with Hashimoto's symptoms its up and down, off and on, of extremes.

Granted, anemia can have the same symptoms and anemia is very much connected with thyroid function. (Heck, it's all connected.) You need to go to a doctor and get iron and thyroid levels checked. Don't try to guess yourself and treat accordingly or you might make yourself worse. If your thyroid levels are off, have the TPO test for antibodies to see if it's Hashimoto's. Some doctors really dont know what to do with Hashimoto's so they don't do the antibody test, but Hashimoto's needs to be treated differently from plain hypothyroidism.

These are just ideas based on my own experience. I am not a doctor.

• Posted

Hi Runraisin. Thank you. Have read all of this on the web.

Living in the UK you cannot just decide to get this or that checked, the doctor decides all that. Yesterday I had palpitations for first time in ages, and have been wheezing and getting heady headaches, fuzzy head as well as the coldness. But it comes and goes and it might go away for two months and then be there for just one day.

• Posted

Doctors are the same everywhere. I have found the more knowledgeable I am and the more articulate and thorough with symptom descriptions, the more likely they do exactly what I want. If a doctor isn't listening then you find one that does. I really good doctor not only listens, but is knowledgeable enough to know what advice to give and what labs to get. Rare, but they do exist.
    • Posted

Agree. I found that if I quote actual medical terms to them - i.e.

I think maybe the splincter valve needs help - rather than I keep coughing - they take far more notice of you.

• Posted

excellent advice and try to watch the autoimmune summit....google..it ends tomo i think xxxx

we've also started an autoimmune section...as is so unique. you can find it via the alphabetical search...researched info especially welcome!

• Posted

welcome!

there's only limited info at the mo....but do have a look at the summit....just google to find it and listen in.

it would be great if all of us folk felt like trying to summarise what we've learnt inorder to share so it becomes a resource...by putting up notes in our autoimmune section.

i wish you luck with seeking out the cause of your condition....keep in touch x

ps i'm in the uk too and know how hard it is ...but if your GP will do TSH ask for T3 AND T4 ...as well as antibodies TPO....do say that you really want to know as you're in a support group of others also working on this ...we cut out food groups eg gluten and dairy...but it is hard and help is needed as well as the info and the testing...so insist. plus vit d test is allowed for autoimmune conditions.

then you know  you have hashimotos and can start taking responsibility for your own treatment as they don't treat antibodies but wait til the thyroid destroys itself...then increase thyroxin....great! hope you'll join in with being more proactive xx

• Posted

Marey. I dont need to cut out dairy and gluten and feel sorry for those who do, but it is different for everyone. My doctor listens fairly well compared to mostl but telling him I am in a support group would not change him or his attitude one bit.If you look at this site you will see I have been very proactive both on the site and off, more than most here.
    • Posted

hi carmel

i did try to check out your contributions to this site but you may have opted for limited disclosure as only your badges are on display....just to let you know!

i used to feel exactly as you do now about gluten, well all grains, and dairy...its funny to read from the perspective of being on the receiving end ...but that's karma!

i'm in UK and my GP did agree to do TSH, T3 and T4 tests as well as vit D... SO i'm sure he'll help you with those markers no problem.

i did ask for TPO antibody tests....this confirms hashimotos thyroiditis...but you may prefer not to know as there is no conventional treatment? My GP had the tests done for me - apparently per my request...but i don't remember him telling me the results. this may either have been policy, not to disclose to the patient....since conventional treatment doesn't alter.... or my poor memory!!

HOWEVER THE POLICY IS NOT TO TREAT thyroiditis (as indicated by antibodies) with any distinction. This is because the medical profession doesn't know how to. so we are on our own. However you would be offered thyroxin ...and some form of thyroid hormone could be vital to help with reducing the inflammation. however if you're at the early stages and your TSH has not yet increased...it does so in response to nagging from the pituitary which, if working, produces more TSH IN THE ATTEMPT TO GET A RISE out of the fading thyroid....then merely taking appropriate vits and mins could fix it. i know at least one woman who has done this. do I make any sense? or prob thats what you already know as you've done some research as you mention.

I found out I had antibodies as the endocrinologist told me. I was very grateful ...since this was what I expected. I was referred to him by a locum GP when I asked about iodine testing. Like you I had been persuaded that I had a need for iodine.

I have noticed that my TSH went up...my first (known to me) reading was 4.5 this increased to 5.1 ...possibly due to iodine but i have not yet cut out all the inflammatory factors in my diet so can't be sure...but am experimenting and working towards that goal. Others here may be further down the line...of reducing inflammation - our ultimate goal - so do lets nuture those kind enough to share with us  and lets encourage anyone kind enough to come on  with their experience. I'd love to hear more from you rumraisin. how are you now? May I ask as to where your TSH level is and where it had been?

Iodine is a major inflammatory factor as the Endocrinologist did also confirm....so that is not in dispute...but its important to know if you wish to intervene in the ongoing degradation of your thyroid (if this is your diagnosis)...that it does flare up and drop bits off - this damaged tissue  ignites the flares (symptoms of which you describe)  via the bloodstream as those particles contain hormone...if its thyroiditis that you have. And If so you can at least follow the strategy of others. anyway  If  you find someone who does reactivity testing do let me know! Are you uk based too? I think its Igg and IgA thats needed? Others on here may know and might be kind enough to guide us...if and when we're ready for the info....since its tough.

prob for you the first step might be a TSH test (tho as above I would ask for the lot...it gives you more time to be effective and to work on alternatives BEFORE going onto thyroxin...since once on its diff to come off tho i'm following a protocol with that aim personally i wish i'd had these types of conversation first...i would have handled things differently...you may only have a low thyroid or something else altogether...but you can decide in consultation with your GP if you do want to know more. may be some genuinely don't want to know...so i don't want to interfer but hope this has been helpful...am exhausted...phew!

• Posted

IF you have Hashimoto's you WILL need to cut out grains, dairy, sweeteners, legumes, starchy vegetables and high-glycemic fruits. Both myself and Marey have offered the Hashimoto's theory as an idea based on your first post questioning your body temperature and the fact it goes away and come back. This is a Hashimoto's pattern, but of course, it might not be what you have. Clearly from your first post you are asking for help and we, eager to help, have given you this idea based on our experiences.

I think it's very strange you are asking this support group for help, but you keep contradicting everything everyone is saying, telling us you don't need our advice after we've given it and sounding like you resent it. I'm really unclear what you want..

• Posted

I appreciate you answering but when you tell me stuff I have already read on other sites, stuff I can google easily and quickly, that is not helpful to me. I was asking for personal experiences, not to reread what I have read elsewhere or can find elsewhere. I understand what you are saying about your own experiences BUT that does not mean that everyone else you speak to has the same illness. If I had Hashimoto then it would not go away for months and then come back for just one day and then go away for months again. That would make no sense. In fact it cannot be diet related then.

YOu have to use some common sense with all of this too.

Not just remember what you have read. I wont be folloiwing this thread anymore so if you post again that is up to you but I wont be reading it.

• Posted

I understand your frustration, but it's not my fault you weren't clear on what you wanted. I was just trying to help and your question was vague which indicated to me you didn't have a lot of information. To avoid people wasting your time, next time be more specific about what you want and don't want and that way we won't waste our time either.
    • Posted

my goodness!

well we are clearly failed mind readers!! please stay on rum since i've found you....a treasure.

• Posted

HAHAHAHA!!! Marey:  We are spending our time writing as much as we can trying to help a stranger. I definitely understand carmel's frustration, but it was like we were being reprimanded at for our ideas. That kind of attitude makes people not want to contribute anything nor help anyone.
    • Posted

never mind ay

lets move on. I replied above and wonder whether

you'd be kind enough  to take a glance at my questions? Any tips?  I really appreciate meeting you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.