Feeling very down after total thyroidectomy 9 days ago...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I was diagnosed with Graves disease 2 years ago which was non responsive to any drugs.

I finally had a total Thyroidectomy on 16th of this month and I was so happy because ive literally had 2 years of hell, i thought id feel so much better but i feel worse than ever.

Ive got no appetite at all, Ive got no energy ...it took me over an hour to change my bedding because i was so exhausted i had to keep stopping, im breathless and i just feel like crying all of the time.

I was sent home on 125mg of Levothyroxine Sodium to take once a day and Alfacalcidol 1mg once a day plus Sandocal 1000 effervescent tablets 1 twice a day, as on the evening i had surgery I completely lost the feeling in my arms, chest and face and they said my calcium had dropped very low.

A week on and ive had bloods redone and have been told everything is ok, that im on the correct dosage of Levothyroxine etc.

Am i going to feel like this forever as i really can't cope, Im feeling so down right now I dont know what to do with myself.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

No, you wont feel like this forever, I promise. But, it is a slow process.

I remember well back when I went through this, thinking ok, graves, now thats over and now with no thyroid all i have to do is take the levo.... Nobody told me it was a process.... A slow drawn out process... For me, i didnt adjust to a new dose in 6 weeks, it took 3 months each time...

a woman online told me to hope for just one good hour, then a good day... Then 2..

I have been on levothyroxine for just over 2 years. Finally i think i am likely on the correct dose. .. My days now are 99% great. I wouldn't know my thyroid was gone if i didn't have to swallow a pill each morning.

Hold on it gets better.

If you look up Elaine Moore online she is a reknown Graves expert who answers questions etc and a great resource when questions arise.

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. Ive never heard of the person you mentioned, ill definetly look her up.

• Posted

I have just read your post regarding your experience after a thyroidectomy. I had mine on 20 May 2019 and like you felt absolutely exhausted afterwards. I started on 75 mcg Levothyroxine daily which has now been increased to 100mcg and 75mcg on alternate days and I am just beginning to feel a little more human. Fortunately I didn't need Vitamin D or calcium which was a good thing as having different daily doses of thyroxine is difficult enough to keep up!

I am hopeful that as time goes by I will begin to feel even more like my old self and hopefully you will too. People including consultants just don't realise how debilitating the condition is especially after thyroid removal.

Best wishes

Rosie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.