Feeling very low and weepy, dont think I can get through this. Any advice please

Posted , 20 users are following.

Had FHR 24 May, feeling emotional all the time which is wearing me out

Feel7ng stressed as i can see all housework piling up, ironing needs doing, and I cant evrn make a decision about what to eat.

Im trying to stay positive but I really dont think I can get through this.

I try and tell family about my stress but they are not hearing me, and I know they are tired mow of helping me and think I should be doing more for myself which then gets me upsrt because I cant at the moment.

I ferl reduced to a whining, useless wreck.

Any advice please as soooo fed up

Cheers kath x

3 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Aww Kath, we all certainly have had those days. I hope that you are feeling better and cheering up. Please know that we are here to listen and we DO understand completely. You had your surgery exactly one week after me and trust me it is very early in recovery. I know because I have had the same feelings and bad days. I too see housework piling up etc....Not because my family won't help but because I am one of those people who has to do everything to an extreme or very picky....so seems even if someone does something to help it is not the way I would do it. Not good being that way, and I know it. I have to learn to accept that not everyone does things exactly like I would. Something to think of that my husband always tells me...."the work will still be there later and who's coming over anyways the president"? Just something to think about, because I certainly now how stressful it is to see the house being messy and not a thing we can do about it but look at the mess....Wishing you the best and hope you feel better soon.....Barb
  • Posted

Hi kath scold yourself for feeling like you do.  It's only a month since you had a major operation. I'm already 5 months post op and I get that feeling too.  It's frustrating not being able to do things.  Just think about yourself first and think the housework will be there when you're not.  The family should want to help you get through this difficult time then you wouldn't have to keep asking them.  Keep thinking positive and I hope things look up for you, give it time.

Brenda

• Posted

She souls tv's old herself for what is a normal part of this recovery. She just needs to understand that just like the rest of us she will get through it...
  • Posted

You can and you will. That is all
    • Posted

Hi Steve

I like your positive attitude, thank you

How are you doing?

Kath

• Posted

HI Kath. It has been 7 months since my RTHR POSTERIOR approach. Glad I had it done but it was no picnic for the first few months. Now I am glad I had it done. Really no pain unless I really over do it. I am 65 so I want it to last as long as I do. You just hang in there. It was major surgery and will get better.
    • Posted

Hi Steve

Nice to hear from you.

I know what you mean, at first I wish I hadn't had operation done but my left leg used to turn right in due to hip, but now my leg and foot are in the correct position. I don't know what or how the surgeon did it but I am thankful for it.

I am 63 and this hip better see me out as I would not have another replacement, too much if a wimp.

Take care, will keep you posted of my progress

Luv Kath x

• Posted

Math, you are just a kid and in about 2 more weeks I bet you see a big positive change for the better. Just walk and do your exercises. The other stuff like housework is secondary. You are well on your way to a nice recovery. Just put one foot in front of the other and keep moving forward.
    • Posted

Kath, not Math. I really can spiel
  • Posted

Hi kath

I totally understand how you are feeling l am 4 months post op for one hip and 6 for the other. My moods have been awful crying a lot days l just feel like l am.getting know where or going backwards and life can be sh## sometimes as Linda said in a post. Life goes on around you. Nobody and l mean nobody understands just how bad you can feel apart from other hippies. I have now been told l have OA in my knee's and am back to hospital on wednesday to see orthapedic surgeon and l have just found out my mum has cancer.

But l don't want to sound like doom and gloom

You will get through it it does get better. I found that finding out about my mum put my problems into perspective. I can be fixed l may only be 43 and have had the year from hell and its still going on as l have painful knees now but my hips are great. I still have to take pain medication and l am still of work but you have to try and be posative. Ever though l know how hard it can be as l have been where you are so many times as graham said its a long road to recovery but if l look back at where l was 5 month 4 months 3 months ago l.have come so far. Although there is a spanner in the works for me at the moment as my knee's are holding me back l think about what my mums just been told and l say l can do this its not gonna kill me it will make me stronger in the end. I have to be strong for my mum thats my priority at the moment but l am still in recovery l still wake up in pain because my muscles are still healing on both sides. But be strong kath the bad days will pass and you will have good weeks and then maybe another bad few days. Thats how it goes with thr's up and down. But in the end it will be worth it. Just remember you have aĺl us on the forum that knows exactly what you are going through. Although some people have easier recoveries and some stuggle. I would say l have been the later.

Big hugs

Laura

Xx

• Posted

I felt just the same as you in the early days - and no one can really understand just how dependent and vulnerable you feel after this huge operation unless they have been through it.

I felt my family were largely indifferent too - except my husband and children, it is very hurtful to be dealing with such major surgery and feeling so hurt at the same time.

I can reassure you that you WILL get every ounce of your independence back, you will soon be cleaning your house and on top of everything again - but for the moment you must look after yourself and take time out. If you can possibly afford it why not book some cleaning help? Someone at least to do your ironing? Whatever is bugging you the most. If you can't stretch to it - then you need to keep one room clean - the place you spend your time and the rest of the house put it out of your mind. Let it go. It is only dust and will not harm.

I wore the same leggings for seven days in a row and longer because I couldn't manage everything, and had to prioritise ; I have two young children to care for, so had to put them first. Your standards simply need to be suspended for a little while / you can soon clean to your hearts content. Do what you can, then rest a lot. Look after yourself - put your family to one side and focus just on you.

You will get through this, you are doing brilliantly and over the worst. In the next few days and weeks bit by bit your life will be back to normal - big hugs xxx

• Posted

Hello Rose

Thanks for taking the time to send me your comments, really appreciate it.

I do not know how you have the energy to look after your little ones plus take care of yourself, and here I am moaning.

I am getting help with housework, washing etc but I do not want to take advantage. I am a little ocd and will try and chill. Someone mentioned Bachs flower remedy and it is on my list, also loose fitting casual trousers as my leg still slightly swollen

You take care too Luv Kath xx

• Posted

Kath this journey can be brutal emotionally. It is not like other surgeries from that point of view. It can really take its toll at different points, but you will get there. You will soon be cleaning your house from top to bottom, and enjoying your life again. Hold onto that thought when you feel upset. It is not forever. Fortunately for us we are not permanently disabled, one day people will not even guess you have had a hip replacement (as is the case for me now) It is amazing!

You are not taking advantage letting others help you. You would do the same for them would you not? So let them help you and support you - you never know you may well be returning the favour in years to come. That is what love and friendship is all about.

Often our biggest challenges are our biggest motivators. I was very motivated to get better to be able to care for my children properly and smile and laugh again, in your case it might be a pristine house! Either way harness that desire to help you get through this, it provides the grit to push ourselves forward.

I knew I was getting better the minute I noticed the housework, before that I could not care less, so bear that in mind smile smile Would you have noticed your ironing on day three for instance?? Big hugs  you ARE getting better x

• Posted

Hi Kath

Sorry you are feeling so bad.  I can really sympathise as I had depression pre op too or rather have battled it for years really if I am truthful.

However what I can say is that you will only feel physically impaired for a relativley short time.  You will be amazed how quickly you will progress.

I would suggest setting yourself small goals and make a diary of your progress and take pleasure from these triumphs.  Re housework you only really need to occupy one or 2 rooms and a brief tidy will suffice.  For the next few weeks only wash and wear clothes that don't require ironing. Only get in ready meals and fruit and salads so you dont have to cook.  Watch all the bad tv you want and get a good book.

Re your family and firends try not to be too upset with them.  They really dont understand how you feel and everyone thinks THRs are easy until they go through it themselves.

It is important for you to have some company though and to get out of the house, so why not ask your family to take you out for a coffee or a short trip to the shops instead of helping with housework.

You will get better and your mood will improve as you sleep better and regain your strength.

Hang in there and use this forum to help you.

hugs

Alison

• Posted

Hi Alison

Loved your reply, thank you. Like yourself I live with depression and diabetes which I also have depression from too.

I am getting on really well in some things, getting dressed, make up on, hair done which makes be feel more me.

I do have difficulty getting up and down the stairs as so steep and I have to use different size crutches, then go back to my normal size!

Started having little walks every day which I really enjoy. I can see small improvements but so want to be my normal self.

Thank you to all who have encouraged my progress

Take care Luv Kath xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.