Feeling very rough after 4 weeks at same dose

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been patiently weening myself off mirtazapine over last 17 months. I am very sensitive to the drug and as a result have experienced a lot of withdrawal problems.

I am finally down to 0.08mg and have been on this dose for 29 days.

Unfortunately in last two days I have experienced absolutely horrendous symptoms. Any suggestions what I might do?

Normally I would reinstate the last dose but as it been so long not sure if that is the right way to go.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andy, I know it might be difficult but perhaps give it a few days to see if it settles or starts to settle, if it doesn't contact your GP for further advise. 

• Posted

I have been taking 7.50mg for several months and would love to wean myself off the now as I'm not sure they r really doing me much good. Are they hard to stop taking?

• Posted

Hi Adele,

It varies from person to person. For me it has been very difficult.

If you do want to come off, the safest way is to reduce by 10% every 4 weeks.

Sometimes if you are very sensitive to the drug then even 5%

Unfortunately the only way to figure out how sensitive you are is by trial and error.

Hop this helps.

• Posted

Hi Andy

Yes I think you are right to question whether to stay or increase, your instincts are telling you I see though, I would go with the 0.08 mg ( I went as low as 0.1 mg) (how do you manage to measure that I wonder?).  Did you make a liquid or manage to get the liquid version of Mirt?  I tapered like you for a lengthy period and got hit with insomnia symptoms  3 months out !  Its like its the final withdrawal ~ our body crying out for its "drug".   What are your symptoms may I ask ?

Whatever you decide, know that you are not alone, some folk get off lightly, their DNA is different to ours, its the chemical not "your health" that is causing these symptoms and as day turns into night, "these symptoms will pass" ...

Best wishes

• Posted

hi,

you have my sympathy.Like you I am very sensitive and have been tapering over a year as I am also very sensitive to mirt.I had a bad period of days after a cut and thought that it would last for ever so I cannot imagine how low and awful you must be feeling after 29 days.I cannot advise the right thing to do i'm afraid -carry on a bit longer?? I see Calmer has replied - always words of wisdom form them I find !!

Good luck and do post again as in 6 months I hope to be in your position as regards dosage.

• Posted

Thanks plainden,

Thank fully the worst days have past now. But I guess you never know what's around the corner.

I must admit though that as I get on the lower doses I am finally getting something back to my old self. And that's what keeps me going.

Good luck with your battles too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.