Feeling very scared

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone ,

I've been reading some of your stories and I must say it's reassuring reading other people's experiences . I'm due to have my abdominal hysterectomy in 6 days time and i'm feeling so worried about it . I've been very tearful the last few days just thinking about the surgery . I'm having hysterectomy due to large uterine fibroids .

Tracey xxx

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Tracey, I had TAH last June , I must have been one of the lucky ones in and out in 5 days no painkillers . I did however get a few infections but that was because I am diabetic and was told to expect it.If you are a worrier nothing anyone says wont take the worry away so as all the ladies on here who have had it done say just think possitive and enjoy your recovery.Theatre staff are very understanding of your fear and will make it as worry free as possible.I just thought the sooner it was done the sooner it was over with.After you have had it done just listen to your body it will tell you how much you can do or not do.Dont forget nighties are best and I was adviced to take peppermint capsules great for wind, I took a few little snack bars with me , only because the food was terrible.Let us all know how you go on . Lots of luck .......
    • Posted

Hi Susan

Thank you for your reply . A few people have mentioned getting peppermint so ill definitely need to put some of those in my hospital bag ready . Thank you for your kind words ill keep you posted

Tracey xxx

• Posted

Hi Tracey,please dont worry you will be fine.I had my abdominal hysterectomy 11 weeks ago now.I went home after 4 days,i could have gone at 3 days but i wasnt eating much.I went home on paracetemol and lactulose(to keep me regular),which is good considering i was on Morphine on day 1.I would recommend you take nighties into hospital as you will have a urinary catheter post op and its easier if you have nightie on.Also i would take peppermint oil into hospital or peppermint tea as you will have terrible wind...lol.Take plenty to read also cos it can get boring....and try and get up and wander about as soon as they tell you,you can,it makes it easier to get in and out of bed cos boy it will hurt along scar line the 1st time you get out of bed.Dont worry about the anaesthetic,i didnt realise he had put the magic stuff into my cannula as i never felt a thing and then i was spark out.I have no memory of the recovery nurses waking me up or being took back to the ward....brilliant.

I am 11 weeks post op and i feel brill,my scar has healed and i am back doing most things around the house....so back to work for me soon.The only thing i am struggling with is the menopause,as i have gone through it prematurely cos i had my ovaries removed,but i have started on HRT so i hope to see an improvement soon...

Hope your op goes ok Tracey....

Helen xx

• Posted

Hi Helen

Thanks for your reply !! I'm off out tomorrow to get things I need for hospital so i'll definitely get some nighties . I'll also get some peppermint as a few people have advice that now .

I'm dreading that initial getting up from bed 😦.

Thank you very much for giving me a good insight .

Tracey xxx

• Posted

Hi Tracey

Good luck and wish you a speedy recovery X I am post op 6 weeks today after having full Hysterectomy . So back to work for me this week , still feel sore from time to time and get tired by afternoon X went for my first run on Sunday and nearly died 😂 Clearly not ready for that yet X obviously full blown menopausal but taken nothing for it yet as I haven't killed anyone 😬 Feel very bloated though X

You will be right as rain and ready for the summer 😘

• Posted

Hi

Thank you very much for your well wishes .I'm glad to hear your recovering so well . The menopause is another worry I have but I don't know for sure whether I am having my ovaries removed and won't know till after my surgery as my doc had just said he will do everything to leave them there .

Roll on summer eh !!

Tracey

• Posted

I have TAH 10 weeks ago and recovering okay. Don't worry, you will get through it. I started driving by my 3rd week and back to work by 7th week. Walking on treadmill by 8th week and now trying to increase the distance. Slight pain will be here and there with slight abdominal swell.

All the best in your surgery!

• Posted

Hi Sue

I'm glad to hear your recovering so quickly . Thank you so much for your bring so reassuring. Everyone has been so lovely on here so glad I signed up.

Tracey xxx

• Posted

Hi Tracy.

My name is Claudia and I'm about 5 wks post-op. Although the expereince has been a bit bumpy over all I feel good day by day. It's normal to be afraid and have mixed feeling pre-op. I remember having to deal with numerous different emotions especially the unknown factor not knowing if my uterus will be cancerous or not. It turned out to be NON cancerous just dealing with an acute endometriosis whcih caused few complications. My advice is to truly give your situation to God. Pray and release your stress and uncertanties to our good Lord who is more then able to help us in time of need. This too

• Posted

This too shall past and statisticlly hysterectomy is a good surgery to have!!!

Good luck to you and keep  us posted.

• Posted

I agree with all the positive comments above. Had TAH +BSO last Nov and considered running away, I was so scared, Never had GA or surgery before. If there's one thing I learned it's that in future I will be less apprehensive about surgery. Woke afterwards calm and happy it was all over. The recovery is a bit of an effort but probably nothing compared to the symptoms before the op. I bet you'll surprise yourself how strong you really are. Menopause is a bit difficult but we all go through it one way or another so I think we're equipped to deal with it or women wouldn't live past 50!! don't listen to negative comments, this site is ace for a bit of moral support!
  • Posted

Hi Everyone

Thought I would just let you all know that my surgery went well . I'm now currently 2 days post op and sitting up in bed in hospital. I've had a tough couple of days but starting to feel a bit better already . It really helps to get up out of bed as soon as you possibly can and go for SMALL walks.

I had morphine initially for pain relief but I feel better off it now as it makes you feel groggy and not with it .

I'm very tender and very swollen but all this is to be expected. I realise I have a journey ahead of me but small steps and I will get there .

I would also like to say to anyone that is worried about the surgery to not be the staff are so nice and reassuring and very understanding. The hardest part will be the recovery stage

Good Luck to everyone and thank you once again for your support

Tracey xxxxx

• Posted

So glad you through the op and yes recovery is slow at first but soon you'll be looking back. It's amazing how our bodies heal. Did you have ovaries out in the end? Take care and try and look at it as a break .... you'll soon be back to normal 😊
    • Posted

Hi

I didn't have my ovaries out so I'm very pleased about that however my surgeon said that I have a bit of endometriosis going on which he has removed for now but can't promise will come back but we will deal with that if and when it happens

Thank you for your well wishes

Tracey xxx

• Posted

That's fab news and will make recovery so much easier if not dealing with medical menopause too. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.