Feeling very weak, could it be from AFib?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello Everyone, I was diagnosed with AFib 2 months ago. I'm on Metropolol, Eloquis and Tikasyn anti-arrythmia. However, I still get episodes every night.

I am border line diabetic, but otherwise a healthy 52 year old woman. I am scheduled for an ablation next week, but now that I'm feeling weak all the time, I don't know if my body can withstand a 4-8 hour surgery. I will be under general anesthesia.

Has anyone experienced being so weak from AFib? I'm just assuming it's caused from the AFib, but not really sure.

Would love to hear from you. Thanks and be well !

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have been taking Amiodarone since last Xmas for A-Fib, I must had had 3/4 episodes this year, all stopped with crushing an extra pill or getting bounced about, either on horse or bike, Yes after the episodes I was weak, very tired, Now I am tired a lot, an hours work and I must sit down, think this is the drug effect. This one and only drug I take has let me nearly forget about AF, so I hope you can find a better solution. I refused Warfarin, use cider vinegar and refused ablation. Good Luck to you, Judy.

• Posted

Thanks for replying Jay... I feel better in knowing the weakness is not all in my head. I'm also encouraged to hear that this particular medicine you are on helps, and that the activities you mentioned sinks your heart rythym back to normal. I believe the anti-arrhythmia I'm on may not be the right med for me. Plus, I will try different techniques to try and get my heart rythym back to normal ... I heard bearing down, like a woman giving birth sometimes helps.

Thanks again, and wishing you good health.

• Posted

I have weakness for about 24 hours after an af episode which can last up to 48 hours. My af is medication related so did your af start after startng a new medication? if so get the med. changed which is what i did. Maybe your weakness is a med. side-effect.

Doctors would not perform the ablation if you wre not up to it.

• Posted

Hi Marco, thanks for replying, your info is very helpful. I do believe the anti-arrhythmia could possibly be the culprit here. I'm noticing a regular pattern of AFib/skipped beats every night at bedtime lasting a couple hours. This occurs about an hour after taking my 2nd dose of meds.

Before being put on the Tikasyn, my episodes weren't this frequent.

But, I'm puzzled as to why it doesn't happen after my first dose of Meds in the AM. Anyhow, this makes perfect sense in that these meds are the reason for the weakness I'm experiencing, plus the fact that they exhaust the body.

I am going to call my Dr today about adjusting the meds. Thanks again!

• Posted

My af is related to my bp meds, and I found that an episode would start anything from 2 to 8 hours after taking the med. to prove this I took my bp meds 12 hours later than normal and sure enough the af started between 2 and 8 hours.

I'm on Bisoprolol at moment which is good for me but not for everyone.

• Posted

Hi Judyc I have had AF for 15 years now , I have had 2 ablations one which lasted for 5 years , the second one did not work and I am now waiting for the 3rd one .  But after each episode I am totally washed out tired and weak, which had left me mostly feeling exhausted all the time , I struggle to do my job , and even with housework , I have to sit down after an hour of doing anything and could quite easily fall to sleep .  I take bisoprolol daily , but really feel with me its just the Af that knocks me off my feet. 
    • Posted

Hi Anna, I'm sorry you feel badly. I completely can relate to you. The quality of my life has greatly diminished. I can't work and barely go anywhere.

I'm terrified of having this ablation done, but refuse to live like this on a daily basis.

May you have a very successful outcome with this upcoming ablation.

• Posted

Hi Judyc There is no point in me saying to you dont be terrified of the ablation as its different for everyone . I know there are risks involved , but when you look at the quality of life that you have at the moment , which is how I look at it , the Ablation is worth it , when I had the first one , I was almost back to normal enjoying life and managing to work and go out places without fear of it happening.  Sadly it did come back for me and the second one made things better but not completely , I was still getting attacks athough for not as long as previous , but still enough for me to be weak breathless and tired all the time.

Please let me know how you get on , I am sure you will see such a difference, mine started at 40 years old , so I am hping this last ablation will let me start living again as I am 55 and just feel the longer I have to wait to get it done , its waisted life as I am not doing anything , I wont go on holiday , in fact I wont even leave the house and drive anywhere on my own . I hope everything goes well for you I am sure it will , just try to relax and think positive about getting a better quality of life when its done . x

• Posted

Hi Anna, thank you for replying. I'm so sorry you are not living life to the fullest because of this condition. I totally understand how you feel. I can't work and I don't leave the house like I use to.

I'm scheduled for the ablation and am terrified... It's bringing panic on, which the adrenaline kicks in and before you know it, I'm in AFib again. Along with the daily episodes I experience every single night at bed time.

I was just reading up on anesthesia, and am terrified of going under general anesthesia. Some say they were conscious during the ablation, but it was very painful. My threshold for pain is a 0.... At the same time, I'm petrified of how I will react to the general anesthesia. I'm also experiencing allergies, post nasal drip, runny nose, headache, I hope this will not interfere.

I wish you the very best with this third ablation you are getting. Try to remain hopeful, as they say the third time is the charm.

• Posted

Hi Judyc , I can relate to you with the panic and the adrenaline and so the A/F , the same happens to me, and they tell you not to panic , its a bit hard when your heart is going 90 miles an hour and you have no control over it , so I know where you are coming from.  I used to work as an auxillary Nurse and whilst I was there I never saw one patient that was not frightened of going down for an anesthetic, its natural to feel like that, But on the plus side its very rare to have any serious problems. Like we have dinner everyday the anesthetists are doing this everyday they know what they are doing and they will look after you , so try to seek comfort in that.

Its strange you say about allergies , since I have had A/F I have had more allergies to medication than anything else . 

When I first had A/F they thought it was  sub ventricular arrhythmia and therfore tried to do an ablation while I was awake as this is how they do it for that one. When they realised it was Atrial and they know that I am a nervous person , I too have to have a GA ,but  because I can not take anticoagulants I also have to have what they call a TOE (transesophageal echocardiogram) which I think has worse after effects, so really not looking forward to that , but like you say I cant go on like this , I had a bad attack last night that lasted for hours but refuse to keep going to the hospital just to lay there and then be sent home hours later exhausted. 

• Posted

lack of iodine in your body most drs have little to no education on nutrition

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.