Feeling weak and zombified on 15mg mirt

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive been taking mirtazapine 15mg for around 5 weeks on top of my citalopram 30mg but im feeling weak , legs and joints hurt and feeling foggy , really foggy . No concentration and distant . Really down . Any advice ?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gary. I know everybody different and react differently to different meds. But my personal view of mirtazapine is not good. It's terrible to get of it aswell. Personally I would ditch the mirtazapine and maybe increase citalopram. Obviously speak to your gp first. I tried mixing it with duloxetine for a year and I found it caused more problems than helping in anyway. Now trying to get of mirtazapine and have spent 2 mths in withdrawal and my sleeping is awfull. I didn't find it any help even going up to full strength.

Hope you can get some good advice on here. I would say listen to your body and be v careful where mirtazapine is concerned.

Sarah.

• Posted

Hi Gary, i've been experiencing aching legs & was going to post asking if anybody else was feeling the same. I've been on 30mg Mirt for little over 2 weeks. Prior to that I was on Sertraline & Amitriptyline. As its early days I didn't know whether it was down to the Mirt or jus because I'm unfit! Also feeling detached and struggle to concentrate at the minute. My moods are extreme at times, tears for no reason, losing my patience and my temper over the smallest thing. My sleep is even worse than it was before I seem to be so much more alert in the evening/early hours.

I'm back to see my GP on the 18th. I've heard excellent reviews about Mirt from those lucky enough to have found the right dosage/combination so I'm willing to stick with it. Perhaps you need to give it a little more time?

• Posted

Hi Elaine, don't know if I've responded to your posts before or if you are a different Elaine, but likely the troubles you are having now are withdrawal fro sert and amitriptyline - you've been of mirt two weeks but how did you stop the other two?  Mirt can not hold up to withdrawal from an SSRI, can't negate it.  I'm not sure about amitriptyline, but I'd ask your doc about reinstating the lowest dose of sert to go along with the mirt.  The two can act synergistically together.    You are not unfit - you are in withdrawal!  Was there a period where you you on sert with the mirt or did your doc just have you stop the old drugs and start mirt?
    • Posted

Hi Elaine.

I was put on 15mg of mirt beginning of Dec after being on dosulepin for 4 years but it had stopped working and after losing my mum my depression was at its worst ever. It worked to start but the groggy spaced out feeling was awful so after 5 weeks I upped to 22.5 mg it was much better but my usual doctor said 30mg was the better dose for depression and I'd feel less groggy. Well first dose was friday night and I don't know if it's because it's my time of the month but my mood has dropped drastically and I haven't even energy to dry my hair today just nothing to give. Be nice to hear how you're getting on as weeks go on as like you I've heard good things and I really don't want to be back at the place I was at before them. Can i ask if it was for depression you were put on them also what time of night do you take them as I'm taking them at 9 and feel groggy for only an hour and waken several times through night hope to hear from you kelly x

• Posted

Hi Betsy yes you have responded to me previously ☺. I was tapered off Sert & Amitriptyline over 12 days before starting the Mirt. I have put weight on, over the last couple of years I've gained quite a bit after having my daughter and it honestly did cross my mind that i was struggling to get up the stairs because of my new physique and less active lifestyle. My legs ache like they do the morning after a long walk. You gave me the advice of asking to take a low dose of Sert before which I intend to do. Thank you ☺
    • Posted

Hi Kelly, I was on the Sertraline/Amitriptyline combo for a good few years but after a couple of events in my life they just stopped doing their job. It's depression & anxiety I suffer with but the meds are prescribed more so for my anxiety. I'm finding that my mood is lower than it has been for a while, it isn't constant but it comes in bursts. I can be happy & feeling productive one day and then almost in the blink of an eye I don't have the energy or motivation to do a thing. I don't feel like I can lift a hairdryer at times so I can sympathise with you on that! I take it at around 8.30pm. During the first week I noticed the groggy feeling my balance was ever so slightly affected but it passed quite quickly. I'm laying awake at 2.00am having gone to bed around 10.00-10.30pm, it's taking such a long time to drift off. I'm dreaming a lot too. And waking 4-5 if not more times during the night. I'll definitely keep you posted on how I'm doing ☺

garyflinn... you are not alone!!!

• Posted

Sorry to be redundant :-)  I, too, have put on weight from mirt, and I never had the big increase in appetite and don't eat more than I used to.  I was put on mirt when I was in wd from Effexor, and then went back on Effexor, so now stuck trying to get off two drugs!  

I wish you success and relief!

Betsy

• Posted

Hi garyflinn, 

Have these symptoms been constant since starting mirt or have they come up recently?  I would definitely report this to your doctor.  The sedating effect of mirt should recede soon after start up.  Weekness is reported as a rare side effect.  Muscle pain is a less common side effect. Side effects that don't go away in five weeks need to be discussed with your doctor. 

Were you on any other drugs recently?  How long have you been on Cit and why was the  mirt added?  Just doing some detective work :-)

• Posted

Hi Gary,

I was prescribed 15mg of Mirt. Could not tolerate long term due to awful side effects. I sympathise with you. I too had muscle and joint pain, it seemed like every one in my body hurt and it's no fun when you are experiencing it I know. In addition I had weight gain, constant foggyness, real sedation at first. I felt agitated and angry on this medication, it upset my stomach and I developed restless leg syndrome. I had been on Prozac for years but it had stopped working. Worked my way through Citalopram, Sertraline, Vie Pax and Mirtazipine before being put on to Duloxetine 60mg and after all this I've settled on that well. My mood has lifted considerably and anxiety is under control FINALLY! I think if you are concerned in any way go back to your GP. I felt like I was at my Dr all the time and told her I felt embarrassed. She was lovely and said some people are lucky and settle on the right med straight away, some take a little longer until they find what is right for them and we will continue until we find what is right for you so we did. It's taken a while but we got there. Don't put up with side effects that are getting you down. It's like swapping one problem for another. There will be something out there for you with less side effects I'm sure. See your GP. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi. I have not found anyone on deluxetin before. I came of sertaline cos of awful sweating and went onto mirtazapine. After going up to full strength I hated it and had many side effects like u. The restless legs were terrible at nite. I was getting worse so started duloxetine along side. A year later was feeling much better but decided to get of mirtazapine. Weight gain uncontrollable urge to binge food at nite. Mood swings. Feelings of rage. Anyway 2 mths of the mirt the withdrawal is awful. Not being able to sleep is dreadful. But I have lost the rest of the side effects thank God. So u were not alone. I continue with duloxetine. Currently taking 120 mg. Sweats are back abit. But I think I would rather that. Just to master sleeping again!!!? Did u have any of this coming of mirt?

Good luck on your journey.

Sarah.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Sorry to hear of your experience. It's not nice is it? I think I was fortunate in that I was only on the Mirt for a couple of months as I could just not tolerate it, I decreased it slowly down to 7.5mg at night and am happy to say I didn't really experience any withdrawal, I was just glad to get off it to be honest. When starting the duloxetine my anxiety was Initially worse but got better in time and I now feel much brighter but like you don't know of many people on this specific med. thanks for the good wishes. I wish you well too. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.