Feeling wired and high after first Venlafaxine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I was prescribed 75mg Venlafaxine daily to help with my anxiety and OCD. I read the entire leaflet and the indication said to take one a day. So I took the tablet at around 3pm, and an hour later I had nausea and diarrhoea, which didn't really surprise me as they are common side effects of the medication and I have had them on previous SSRI's.

The issue is, I feel like very jittery, almost like im vibrating and have a high level of energy but I am unable to actually get up and do stuff. I have sweating and my vision is very bright and I have mild visual tracers, I am also having issue with jaw clenching. This is almost like what MDMA feels like, minus the majority of the euphoria. I think my tablets are immediate release and reading the indications online it says for immediate release you should divide the dose up to 37.5mg and take it in the morning and evening.

I am not worried that anything bad will come to me from taking one 75mg tablet, but I am just ruminating about if I should ring the pharmacy or the doctors to verify the dosage I should be taking, because the side effects weren't uncomfortable they just left me feeling very wired like I was on a stimulant.

Thank you 😃

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

hey x everything you have described is completely normal in the beginning. it can really knock you. I have most of those symptoms either from anxiety/depression or the meds themselves but it does get better in time.

if you are on instant release you are meant to take them twice a day as the short half life will give you withdrawal symptoms after 12 or so hours and that really doesnt help how you're feeling. plus it won't have the desired effect.

extended release or XL are meant to be taken just once a day. hope that helps.

• Edited

also I noticed on an older post I've just seen you mentioned about a random memory or a tv show you've just watched or thinking about certain things can trigger your anxiety. I have this exact thing also. I just wanted you to know that it's not just you, the exact same thing happens to me when my anxiety has been bad too. even smells can be a trigger for me too. like something completely random like washing up liquid, shampoo or even the smell of the rain or grass. its debilitating at times so I feel for you I really do x

just wanted you to know you aren't alone.

• Posted

Hi Potatoghost

Thank you so much for replying, I really appreciate the time you've taken to help inform me. I do believe these are immediate release from looking up the company and description of the tablet. The pharmacy told me to take the entire tablet once a day but starting tomorrow I think I will divide the dosages in two because I really do feel like I have drank like 20 cups of coffee at once and it's not the most comfortable feeling. My legs are shaking like crazy and I am sweating a lot as I type this.

My anxiety has honestly been really diminished just after two doses of Venlafaxine, so I am very optimistic. I don't have any significantly negative cognitive effects from it other than mild blurriness and tracers like you would see if you are getting really sleepy, I did have trouble sleeping though last night and didn't get to sleep until 6am 😦

It is also very comforting knowing how we can sympathise with each other on these feelings and not feel quite as alone, the irrational gets more rational and equips you with the ability to help each other which is an amazing feeling on its own 😃 I haven't been able to watch TV for years because my mind will just wander off into anxious thoughts and I am unable to focus and take in what I am watching as a result. I have this nasty habit of associating one time negative experiences to things I like which causes my anxiety triggers to develop. I am working on these though and the Venlafaxine is helping me ease into a new way of thinking about things.

The symptoms are definitely from the medication because usually I only start sweating when I am directly in the situation that stresses me, you should've seen me at my last psychiatrist appointment I was quite literally sweating buckets hahaha!

Again, thank you so much for helping me out! I am really glad to have found such a nice and caring community 😃

Take care,

Kyle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.