feeling worried and confused

Posted , 7 users are following.

ok so ill start at the begining about 7 years ago my father passed away from copd so its been on my radar since then. i have been battling on and off since to quit smoking but managed to kick it properly now but thats when the breathing issues started so alarm bells rang and i booked an appointment it took about 8 weeks and 2 cancelled appointments before finally getting my spirometry test done yesterday (23/4/18) now on sat i climbed a small mountain. well bennachie so a little smaller than a mountain lol. i managed this quiet well and surprisingly didnt have the breathing issue i was worried of it was more a weight problem that slowed me down but any way. sunday night i felt like i could blow all the little piggies houses down and that my lung problem was tar clearing out from my lungs and it was passed. ive never had a cough or pain just felt breathless at times. now onto the test i think i cocked up the breathing a little bit. couple times i crunched forward on exhale other times i think i blew it all out too quick then when it came to the candle blow part i did the opposite but the nurse seemed happy so i figured shes the professional she would know if id done it wrong. so result was copd at 30!!!!!!!!!. now once she said that things are a little blurry but all i can remember is 62% and mild copd. i was in total shock because i felt like it was all fine. i was given 2 inhalers 1 called incruse 55 and one subituol or something after taking them i have pains in my chest, my chest feels tight im more breathless than ive ever been before. im wondering if ive managed to muck up the test and ended up taking meds that aren't right for me or if im allergic or something but im just finding it very strange that all of a sudden things have gotten worse after taking the meds.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Ask your GP to explain your spirometry results. Tell your GP you climbed a mountain and felt fine. With mild COPD you usually have one inhaler to use only when you feel you need it. 
  • Posted

Hi Kris,

i know how you are feeling as I had my spirometry tests a week ago and I messed them up. I couldn’t do them correctly either. I had no diagnosis though given to me she just said results inconclusive but prescribed me 2 inhalers Spiriva Respimat and Salamol. I had a chest X-ray yesterday so waiting to hear about that. I only received my inhalers 2 days ago but I still have tried them as haven’t plucked up the courage mainly as I haven’t been given a diagnosis. I do get breathless a lot and she said these will help with that so I’m going to pluck up the courage today.

i have read other people’s comments on pain in chest after taking these which is why I haven’t started the inhalers but sometimes it’s because you inhale to fast. It’s all confusing and scary and I’m dreading taking mine but if you feel that these are making you worse best to phone dr for advice. Best to be safe . Good luck and sorry I couldn’t be much help but I bet later I will be asking the same question when I take my first puff.

• Posted

Awww...Kris....bless you!  We are ALL scared when we are first diagnosed!  I was 69 when I was diagnosed by a CT scan.  However, I KNOW I had it since I was about 64 because I wheezed a lot!  I was already moderate when I was diagnosed at age 69.  I am on Spiriva and Symbicort in addition to my nightly oxygen and I am VERY active and feel great.  Only 1 exacerbation in 7 years and have only had to use my rescue inhaler in all that time. I have discovered that I start having breathing issues if I go above 11,000 feet (I live in Colorado and where I live it is 5,280 feet).This is a great website with GREAT people so keep in touch!  Hugs to you!!!
    • Posted

Hi Sandy, I am so pleased that you are doing well. I am having a terrible time at the moment as i took my very first dose of Spiriva Respimat today and i have felt terrible all day. My breathing seems worse, I am very anxious so have taken more tranquillisers than normal, I have a bad headache and to be honest im terrified. I phoned my pharmacy and explained this to her and she said to take my rescue inhaler but im too scared to now. Also to still take tomorrows dose of Spiriva and if i still feel bad then i will have to get this looked at. Not much help when i feel like this. I am so depressed now and feel like giving up.
    • Posted

Mandy Dear.....no no, don’tgive up....sometimes it takes a while to find the right script for a person.  Please call your doctor and tell him/her what is happening.  Perhaps you will need something other than the Spiriva.  This is a big adjustment for all of us and there is a lot of support out there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.