Feeling worse after dose increase

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed in March this year after seeing my GP for extreme tiredness and pretty much the whole list of hypothyroid symptoms. TSH was 6.1 (normal range 0.27-4.2)

T4 14.5 (normal 12-22) Was put on 50mcg levothyroxine and symptoms persisted and I had follow up blood tests 6 weeks later, including an antibody test,which came back normal at 12 (range 0-34) TSH at this point was 5.5, and T4 16.5. Doctor upped levothyroxine to 75mcg which ive been on for 2 and a half weeks and I feel dreadful. Started having aching arms and legs which are driving me insane,especially the legs at night. The tiredness and general lack of motivation is making my life a misery and affecting my relationship and looking after my 2 young children. Doctor doesnt want to check levels again until end of August. My question is, is it normal to feel worse before feeing better? Is it likely something else is going on aswell? My doctor isnt very helpful, (he didnt even know an antibody test existed for hypothyroidism) I'm going to see a different one after my next bloods. Should I ask to be referred to an endocrinologist? My sister and Dad both have hashimotos but are properly medicated and feel well. I dont know what to do. My blood results don't seem to indicate hashimotos and my T4 has always been in range, but my symptoms are quite severe. Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've felt worse since on meds. 112 mg synthroid, 5 mg liothyronine. But my labs are in the normal range.

• Posted

T3 is pretty powerful even at 5mcg. You can ask your doctor if you can skip a day or two of T3. But get his ok and be consistent then retest. You can even half it then take it at different times of the day. Were you on Levo only then he added the T3?
  • Posted

You mightve needed more time for.your TSH to go down more. It's good that your antibodies are low. You can always skip the increase a day or two but be consistent each week so you know what dose you are taking. Were you sick before the first tests? Anyway your doctor is clueless. Tell him you need a Free T3. Find another doctor.

• Posted

Yes I had been feeling so tired for months and started feeling depressed, I went to the doctors and he did loads of blood tests. Ive actually started to feel better today and yesterday, really hoping that the levo is having a positive effect now! I will request a T3 test and definitely seeing a different doctor next time! Thank you.
  • Posted

You TSH is still high, you probably need your levothyroxine put up again . Go onto a forum called health unblocked they will tell you exactly what to do , what blood tests to request and vitamins to take as it’s so important as well .. 

Hope this helps 💕

• Posted

Thank you. I wondered if I might be low on other things like vit d but my doctor wasnt interested in testing that. My iron was slightly low so ive been taking some on and off!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.