Feeling worse than when on Bisoprolol

Posted , 3 users are following.

After being on Bisoprolol for just over a year and experiencing daily headaches I went to my GP who suggested I change to Propranolol. She thought the headaches were migrainal, I do have a history of migraines/headaches, but I just thought the last years were a side effect of the beta blocker. She said Propranolol was also used to treat migraines which made me wonder why I wasn't put on it in the first place. So just over a month ago I was put on 40mg 3 times a day. Within a few days the bad heads had lessened and it was such a relief. I was told to see her at the end of the month to see how I was getting on but as I felt a lot better, didn't seem to be having any side effects, decided to stay on them and request another prescription without seeing her because she wasn't available until after they'd run out. I'm due to see her Monday and now don't know what to do because this last week I've felt dreadful. I've been getting more headaches again, feeling really tired, freezing cold and shivery at times, had an episode early hours of Tues morn when my blood pressure shot up(I'm already on BP tablets which have kept it level) and had to go to the hospital to get checked out as was breathless and other symptoms which the nurse felt could be due to gastric problems....I've had acid reflux recently and a feeling like tightness at the top of my stomach and like something's sort of blocked in my throat. I've felt nauseous and at times weak and dizzy and have to lie down until it passes. So all in all not very happy at the mo and almost feeling like I might as well go back on the Bisoprolol and put up with the headaches as feeling like this is much worse. That's IF its down to the Propranolol. Any info or advice from anyone who might have experienced similar much appreciated. I'm also on Plaquenil for RA.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The side effects of propranolol you are describing sound a lot like the ones I got a few weeks after starting propranolol.  I had tried atenolol, then bisopralol, then sotalol.  All gave me severe chest pains and extreme tiredness, as well as a heart rate consisienty below 50bpm.  

At 40mg three times a day you are on the maximum daily dose.  My top dose was 80mg a day and that was too much for me.  I reckon we all need a dose adjustment accordng to how our body reacts.  Can you as your doctor if a lower dose would be suitable for you?  I think propranolol is the best of a hard hitting bunch so it may be worth sticking with it but you may need a lot less.  By the way, there does seem a strong link between gastric upset and propranolol.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your reply....its given me a lot too think about and talk over with my GP Monday.
  • Posted

Hi Debra. I agree with Pam, I to am on Propanolol and have been for 10 months, firstly Don't please give up on this drug- I to suffered with migranes for 20 plus years BUT got really bad for me over the Xmas period and I was put on Propanolol. It's an absolute life saver, just persaver with it. It to made me extremely tired and my heart rate was low. This does pass. You have to give it time like any other drug it takes 4-6 weeks. I take 80mg Propanolol each day. Ask about lowering the dose it seems extremely high? Was there a reason u were put on a high dose? See if u can drop to 80mg!!. I'm on the slow relese! ...... Good luck.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.