Feelings of depression and anxiety been taking citalpram 10mg with weird side effects can you help??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am 38 years old and suffered with low moods for many years. I have never taken anything as never been really bad. Three weeks ago I hit bottom one day after work felt like I was falling in a hole and I wouldn't get out. I was put on citalopram only 10mg because I have so maby reactions. The first week it made me really sleepy and by the end of that week was feeling a little happier. On my secondition week now and I am having body aches fast heart rate, feeling cold all over faint and dizzy . Mood has been effected to I feel really low again. Do you think I am having a reaction to the tablets or do you think it's normal and will imove in time.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

No, that's just typical side effects.  It often gets worse before it gets better too, but the side effects often last a few weeks before they start easing.  Everyone is different though.

These meds works real slow so don't expect any change for a long time.  Some people start feeling better after a month, but for most it takes around 3-4 months.  Also when you start feeling well it'll often be followed by a big dip (blip) and you might feel like you're back at the beginning ...... don't worry, thats normal for most people.  Some people mistake this for the meds not working, but they are.  Its just your body adjusting.  So however bad you might feel, just keep going.  It can be a bit of a roller coaster on these meds, but just stick with the dose you're on and just keep persevering ...... its worth the wait.

K x

• Posted

Totally agree with everything Katecogs says. It took me 5 mths and I'm finally back at work managing really well. I had the usual ups and downs and doubts about the drug. It's taken me 6 mths to establish an improved sleeping pattern as I had horrendous insomnia.

Thanks Katecogs for all your excellent advice? You have helped so many of us and kept us going !

Gerry x

• Posted

Totally agree Gerry, kept me going.  I read and re-read Katecogs posts when I was feeling low as they give me a lift.

Glad to hear you are doing so well Gerry.  It's lovely to hear the success stories. 

Good luck Julie it's tough when you start but it gets easier with time. xx

• Posted

Hi Anna, I was advised to change to sertraline after 3 mths but with Katecogs in depth knowledge and advice I carried on with citalopram. I just couldn't face those side effects again. I'm so glad now that I stuck with it. It did take a long time but hang on in there Julie- it's so worth it x

• Posted

Hi Gerrymoo

Great to hear from you and so pleased you're still doing so well. The meds are strange aren't they, but it pays to persevere.

Big thanks to you recommending the book A Life Beyond - what a brilliant find.

K 🤗

• Posted

Hi Gerry, I'm at 3 mnths now and it's great to know things will still improve for me.  I'm so much better but not quiet there.  Have my ups and downs.  I saw my gp on Monday and he was great.  I told him still feeling anxiety and was expecting for him to suggest a higher dose, but he said if there is improvement and you can manage the anxiety lets just stay on the 20 mg, so relieved.  Just good knowing that it's worth the wait. xx

• Posted

Yes. Stay with it at 20 if you can Anna

We all take differant times to heal

I keep feeling better every day.. am at week 13. Yes small blips along the way and things out of the norm can make me anxious but I just try work through that

• Posted

Hi Anna , that sounds like you've got a great gp giving you excellent advice . Yes stick it out on the 20mg , you will just get better all the time . I'm still continuing to improve.. just can't believe it all happened to me - truly awful x

• Posted

Yes and thanks to katecogs too for taking time here to post in depth knowledge from having been on the drug so long

i support all these encouraging remarks on this feed. Totally agree

it does take time...heck I think I have been like I WAS for years 

I am a diffearnt person now

i just posted under my own feed ...Success on Citalopram as it's so important to help others struggling through the first few weeks/months 

i could have written your fall fall into the hole Julie myself!

i am on 20 mg

this is my second time around...in a way it helps to know what to expect! My last time was 2013

but it's tough when you start out on this journey ..

you will get better.....

I got myself a light box..SAD lamp which I try sit by in the mornings when am doing things like this

I think it helps me

good luck and there's lots of people here to support you

• Posted

It's perfectly normal Julie I was on these for 7 years and came off them .worst thing I ever did .they do work very well but take time .there is a light at the end .

• Posted

That's interesting Mark....I feel the same way..are you back on cit then presumably?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.