Feelings of guilt and ME/CFS

Posted , 10 users are following.

Having been diagnosed with ME for around 2/3 years now, one of the things I just can't come to terms with is being off work. I have had a couple of 2 week stretches off but mostly it's just odd days when I am really struggling to move. I am a college lecturer and feel massive amounts of guilt when I'm off. I know I can't help it but I can't help but feel that others think I'm playing the system and there is nothing really wrong with me. Does anyone else get feelings of guilt associated with their condition?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi hannah0279,

I've had CFS for about 11 years now (I'm 29) and have been in full time work for the last 6 years or so. Having an employer/boss that understands is important, but I'm aloud to work from home on some days. Is this something you could do/agree to work on teaching prep or something? when I do have to take days off work, I treat myself as if I have the flu. I'd say just try and be kind to yourself physically and especially mentally. I find doing this helps me recover more and sets me up better mentally for when I return to work.

• Posted

Unfortunately I can't work from home but I am lucky that my manager is very understanding. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.