Feels like I am having heart attacks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey folks

Over the past 3 months I have had several attacks of something that mimics a heart attack. I get the crushing chest pain, nausea, coughing, sweats etc. It's happened about 6 times in last 3 months. I've ended up in casualty 3 times only to be told my heart is fine. Have also had a 24 heart monitor done and that was clear as well so wondering now if this is related to my stomach?

I had an "attack" on Friday and it started off with the chest pain and nausea, few random quick stabbing pains in my chest and back, sweats and coughing. I am on omnaprazole 40mg per day and haven't had heart burn in ages. But I had this attack, went to bed and had difficulty sleep due to symptoms but it also felt like I was swallowing my tongue. Woke up next day and was sick brushing my teeth and seemed to bring up some blood.

Now I had spoke to my GP about this on Friday morning. Asked to get my stomach investigated again. She checked my file and said oh sure u have oesophagitus (news to me as nobody had told me) GERD and a peptic ulcer. They already done the camera down your throat (about 4 years ago) and wouldn't do it again.

I have googled and sounds like I might have a hiatal hernia so am I best going to another GP in the practise and get referred for a check? Does this sound like what it is?

Thanks for any help

Chris

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

yes, it sounds like it...but i never coughed up blood,  The chest pain comes on quickly in the chest to the back....the only way to find out is to go to a gastro dr and have a motility study done and ph probe...that will define HH and if your sphincter is working properly

My dr did an endoscopy to detect the HH and your on light sedation and dont feel a thing  

• Posted

sounds like a hiatal hernia. and i wonder your stonach could have errosive gastritis or an errosive esophagitis. consider a reendosscopy so as to see your digestive and check for bleeding.
  • Posted

Chris so sorry you are suffering this. I had these too. Very scary. Was told they were oesophagal spasms. Important you get checked out. I am now 9 weeks into post op recovery from significant hiatus hernia and reflux. The operation was necessary. I too had several trips to A and E with the severe chest pain. Pain was so severe it threw me to my knees! I wish you well...sounds like you need Nissen fundiplcation with hiatal hernia repair op.

jennifer.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply folks. Seems as if this is something fairly common and also fairly horrible and I feel sorry for you all having to suffer it. Any tips for making it go away? As there is still lingering affects from Friday's "attack". I've started taking raniditine on top of my other gastro meds but not helping. Anybody raised their bed? As apparently that can help? I'll ring shortly and get an appointment with another GP and see what she says.
  • Posted

absolutely if u have gerd problems you need to raise your head.....put blocks under the feet of your head board raise it about 6 inches .....better yet get an adjustable bed.  Best you get a second opinion from a gastro dr and he will  do tests and prescribe accordingly.....as everyone is different.
  • Posted

Could also be gallstones. I had those last year and the attacks felt just like you describe, stabbing pains, almost like a heart attack. A blood test at A&E revealed I had acute pancreatitis, which can be caused either by alcoholism (not my case) or gallstones. I had my gall bladder removed.
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies. The 3 times I've ended up in casualty they done full blood panels and tested for everything there is going, even my potassium levels etc and all came back fine so it is making me think that it is something to do with my stomach. I bought wedge bed raisers off amazon so hopefully they will help and going to follow a GERD diet and try and eliminate things that could set it off. Surely though there is some way, if it is sliding up, to stop it?
  • Posted

Oh and if anybodies kicked off did you feel like you were going to pass out?
  • Posted

Yes but pain so severe couldn't. Chris you need endoscopy and manometric testing etc. Make that call 
  • Posted

I phoned the Drs and got an appointment for 2 weeks away. Got the receptionist to get a dr to call me though. Told her my symptoms and she has prescribed me raniditine 300mgs to take in the evening as well as my other stomach tablets i take in the morning. Said the cough and the coughing up gunk is all linked as it's the acid stuff from your stomach getting into your lungs so an inhaler might be needed as it can cause asthma so would explain the shortness of breath as well. Has referred me for an urgent camera down the throat test but the NHS waiting lists being what they are, it could take months. Thanks very much for all your replies and help folks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.