Feels like I’m walking on stones

Posted , 6 users are following.

It’s very painful walking. Sore and aching feet especially around the balls of my feet, it’s like walking on stones. I suffer from arthritis and gout but never had symptoms like this before. Any ideas? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i get the same exact walking on stones feeling. i have frieberg's disease which is avascular necrosis at the tip of the metatarsal bones. an x ray of your feet would identify if you are suffering from something similar.

• Posted

Hi Paul

feelings of walking on stones or pebbles is a general condition called metatarsalgia for which there are numerous causes, one common cause is a loss of fibro fatty padding under the metatarsal heads, which can often be associated with patients with high arched and retracted toes.

• Posted

It sounds like Morton's neuroma. Possibly due to the arthritis in your foot or tight/shoes that put too much pressure on the foot.

Try a metatarsal pad and a shoe with space in the toe area. Shoes can be laced in ways to give more space and still feel tight around the ankle. Maybe even a good insert that isn't gel.

These are all things I got from a podiatrist except for the shoe lacing. Mild issues can generally be helped with a few changed. Possibly worth seeing a podiatrist anyway if you can. I've been to one repeatedly for similar issues but my foot was run over and I've not been able to get lasting relief.

Hope something helps.

• Posted

I got Morton neuroma which felt like this, I had injection which made things worse . Wearing sketchers memory foam trainers helps no end also have got sketchers golf shoes, boots and slippers and for women fit flops . They say you have to stretch your calfs by standing  on a slanted board for 3 min every 3 hours . 
  • Posted

Orthotics will normally help as they can be made to offset the metatarsal pain.  A good podiatrist will do a foot scan to see exactly where the areas of pressure are.  Metatarsal surgery possible but better avoided.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.