Feels like I "Sprained" my broken ankle, or someting like that?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all.

On May 23, 2019, I had plate & 7 screws surgery on my left broken/displaced ankle. Generally speaking it seems that I have been making good progress. Went to Outpatient Rehab this week. The PT said I am probably at about 50% FWB. I can walk in shoes or boot altho she stressed that I should use boot when I am away from home.

Tried out the new PT exercises, seem ok. Yesterday I did a little house cleaning and cooked some. Today I have felt rough, even like I may have sprained my left ankle, altho I do not believe that happened. Am using ice, elevating...

What the heck?

Thoughts, anyone...

Thank you!

D

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i had surgery on my broken talus and ruptured ATFL ligament on may 23rd as well!! . I just started walking without the boot. let me tell you it hurts quite a bit sometimes. As long as there arent any sharp stabbing pains, especially in the spots of the injury/surgery site, i would say the pain is normal. you are using ligaments, tendons, muscles etc. that havent been used in a while. there are even neuro pathways that need to be re-established. They are going to be sore especially if you over do it. just like working out, the muscles get sore and need to recover. At the end of the day my foot tends to ache. Obviously you should listen to your doctor first but maybe others can give better insight! wishing a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hey Jrozz,

Thank you for your response and info. I think I will try ye ol epsom salt soak tonight, I hope that helps take the edge of. Trying to stay away from my big guns RX!

• Posted

HI

Last May 2018 i broke my left ankle both sides and dislocated it. I CAN ASSURE YOU YOUR DOING FINE HONESTLY. I still get a touch of pain some days now. I also have a pin and plate.

It is a long joirney and if you can weight bear carry on putting a bit of weight through it that really helps the healing. Do your physio regularly and put some cold ice on and also elevate too. TRY THE HOT AND THRN COLD foot dipping ie in hot water and then freezing water that felt marvellous. IT IS THE MOST HORRIFIC INJURY YO OVERCOME BUT YOU WIL! LIKE ME XXXX

• Posted

ps stick to trainers osmething supportive not anything fancy foot wise. take osme osteocare tablets if you can to support minerals needed for bone healing xx

• Posted

My thought is that you overdid it. I got confident and did too much. I thought that although it got painful I would keep at it and paid for it. I had to rest it elevate it and ice it for two days! Day three was very careful but it wasnt right for over a week. Now I listen to the advice on here, slow and steady progress. It is clear that this is going to be a long road to recovery. good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.