Feels like PE

Posted , 8 users are following.

Im looking for thoughts on the D dimer test?!?!

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

D dimer test is a good indication, but can be elevated by other conditions (pregnancy, cancer treatment). The sure way to tel is CT scan with contrast.
  • Posted

Hi christine,

I thought the D-dimer sounded the safest way to tell if you had clots but, my GP said it is not reliable and always comes back positive.

• Posted

D-dimer tests are a good way of showing if you are negative of a PE/clots however they are renowned for giving false “positives” like others have said pregnancy, cancer treatment and other factors can give a positive result in a d-dimer so the only sure way to find a Positive is a CT scan with contrast 

• Posted

Many conditions can raise a D-dimer blood test, if your numbers are way off the charts well that's when they can say Ok looking like a clot somewhere, therefore ordering a contrast CT scan.

• Posted

I don't trust them, and neither do my Drs. Many of mine have come back positive with no explanation. If they are negative, you can rule out PE, but if it's positive, it's no good. So what good is it?

• Posted

Not sure what everybody means by a positive d-dimer test. The results of a d-dimer are not positive or negative, they are a number. This means the number needs to be interpreted based on how high the number is and other symptoms the patient presents.

In the hands of a skilled physician, the d-dimer has a place and to be fair, all tests take skill to and experience to interpret. One or two small clots could be hard to find, even on a contrast CT. The other end of the scale is that three years after my PEs, there were so many large ones they can still be seen on an x-ray....which is hardly the last word in tests.

• Posted

thank you so much for your reply back. That is crazy and rare that your large blood clots showed up on the X-ray. Your message has relieved a little bit of worry but just a little bit of background for me blood clots run in my family and never had one before but I am having symptoms and I've been to the ER 2 times for it and all all they have done was ran blood tests gave me an x-ray and did you notice and on my leg because I've been having leg cramps also and all tests came back normal so they are refusing to give me a CT scan. So I was just trying to get an advice to see if I should just trust what the doctor says and be satisfied with the low D-dimer test or go to another hospital and hope the doctor will actually run a test that can prove that I'm okay

• Posted

You very welcome. I guess the “clots on the x-ray” are my five minutes of fame, although not one I would choose. 

As far as diagnosis goes - there are so many other things that can indicate. I was coughing up blood on occasion and when the pain hit it was epic. The  hero of it all was my GP. He came to see me the second time I keeled over,  called an ambulance and wrote an admission letter on the spot. I guess his experience outweighed all of the tests.

If clots run in your family, they should be able to run tests for genetic markers. My daughter in law has family history and tested positive, so is able to manage it now she knows.

No history on my side and nothing happened when I flew long haul for years...mine all happened a couple of years after I stopped flying.

It’s a funny old world rolleyes

• Posted

You are right that D dimer test is not positive or negative. It's like with many other tests where certain values are interpreted as negative or positive for a disease. In case of D dimer the values below 500 indicate that the body has not detected blood clots. Mine were close to 6000 on admission, although it was only confirmation, because the doc in ER ordered CT scan immediately when I presented with my symptoms.

• Posted

From what I know....if you have an elevated d-dimer you need to have further tests to see if you actually have blood clots. For me, both times I've had PE's the d-dimer was elevated. First time really elevated and the CT with contrast of the chest showed clots in right lung. Second time for me I was sick with bronchitis, off blood thinners, and I asked my provider to add a d-dimer. She did, the results were not greatly elevated but to be sure I was ok she ordered the stat CT with contrast of my chest. We both thought I didn't have the clots but unfortunately I did ...both lungs this time but they were smaller. So, it's an indicator to follow up with more tests.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply Sue! That has helped me ease my concern and learn how to trust the doctors more!
    • Posted

Hi,

Once you have been diagnosed with blood clots and represent with symptoms at any stage on or off blood thinners, a contrast CT scan will almost always be ordered regardless of a D-dimer. 

• Posted

Yea.. Ive never had a blood clot... Just my symptoms make me worry about one... But my d dimer is normal, so the doc doesn't want to order a ct scan!! What do you think?

• Posted

Christine, if you have never had a blood clot and your results are okay maybe it would be best to believe the doctor on this occasion.  Putting contrast in your body and scanning when not needed is probably not a good idea.  Why would you think you had one anyway, it never crossed my mind until it happened I was hoping it was pleurisy, the lesser of two evils I thought, certainly not a clot in the lung.
    • Posted

Jen you are so correct! Pulmonary Embolism 's are life changing...and not in a good way. Between physical and mental changes. Christina focus on health, not disease! After a serious health altering event happens, you can never go back to the way things were before.

• Posted

I worry because blood clots run in the family history and the symptoms Im having. Left chest pain along with stabbing pain while I breath in, racing heart with light activities.
    • Posted

Are you in the UK? If you are having stabbing pains get them checked. I felt like I had a intense sharp pain under the breast to the left.
    • Posted

I have to agree with Jen, the reason some people can get an immediate contrast CT scan is because they have had blood clots previously and can be considered high risk, if you know what I mean, they will do a D-dimer but will also order a CT scan for previous PE sufferers, especially when you're in agony.

• Posted

Have you had the blood test done to see if you carry that gene ? family history of blood clots, Sorry I have forgotten the name of the blood test, it tells doctors if you are more susceptible in getting clots than someone with out a family history of clotting problems.
    • Posted

Also have you had your heart checked out ? What you have described is apparently a common symptom of women having angina or some other underlying heart condition. I'm not trying to scare you, far from it, it's just that some women can have completely different symptoms of heart attacks than men.

• Posted

Thats exactly what Im experiencing!! But Im soo frusturated cuz my d dimer was normal.. They won't give me a ct scan. No Im in the US

• Posted

Thank you for your replies. Yes I had my heart checked a few years ago. No I haven't got that blood test yet but I'll bring it up to my GP. Im frusturated because Ive been to the er twice now for this and cuz my d dimer was normal... They refuse to do a ct scan!! But Ive heard d dimers are not reliable. Please help me!! I need some advice... I hate going to the ER but Im about to go to a different one tonight if I don't feel better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.