Feels like something in my eye

Posted , 6 users are following.

Yesterday I was scraping moss and dirt off some bricks to cement them and it became windy, I think it may have entered my eye.

Since yesterday it still feels like something in my right eye, I tried looking in the mirror, can't see anything, the sides are slightly red and my eye feels irritated tired and a little itchy on the edges, close to the nose.

I tried crying, blinking and putting my head under water, it doesn't work.

I rub tissue on my eyelid, and that feels sore, but can't see any dirt or debri even on the eyeball.

I tried rinsing water from a bowl, but afraid of damaging my eye.

Would it damage the eye rinsing water on it? It does feel stingy.

The feeling goes away a bit sometimes, like I went for a short walk today and was ok, it was quite breezy which made my eye watery, but when I went to the house, I feel it more.

Would nasal irrigation do something even if it won't cleanse the eye?

I have some eye drops for tired and dry eyes, I'm wondering if this would be any use for this?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

I'm not a doctor but by the sounds of it there is some grit in your eye, i'd try rinsing it with water - if it doesnt help you should contact your doctor or eye A&E. Another possibility is dry eyes but because you say you think it is brick dust I think that is unlikely to be dry eye. I would avoid eye drops as this could irritate your eye and dilate the pupil. Hope your eyes feel more comfortable soon!

• Posted

It sounds like you could have grazed your cornea. Get xailin preservative free eye wash or use preservative free eye drops. Make sure the eye drops are preservative free that you use. Do not use water in your eyes, it has lots of chemicals in and at the moment I think because of covid I have noticed a stronger smell of chlorine than usual.

• Posted

do you have allergies? either you are having an allergic reaction to the moss or you got something in the eye. you could try preservative free eye drops up to 6x s day to soothe. if it were me i'd also dona warm compress . if you did scratch the cornea it usually heals within 3-5 days. if itvstarts feeling worse try to see sn opthalmologist

• Posted

thanks for your message, I'll try ask in the pharmacy tomorrow .

I'm not sure about allergies, but I do get itchy nose sometimes and a bit of sore rashy skin around the eyes. I guess that could be a sign I might have one.

• Posted

possibly but anytime dust or dirt gets in your eyes your tears or drops is not enough, you need to flush the debris out of your eye. a contact solution is basically salt water with a preservative so it wont hurt your eye, and its cheap

• Posted

Hey - get some contact solution (a bottle), and get someone to squirt a bunch of that in your eye as you lay down (face up). Put a towel under your head to soak up the solution, and be liberal with the solution as it will flush your eyes out.

• Posted

Go to your eye doctor, if you have a piece of brick or anything else embedded in your eye or eyelid then you will not be able to get it out yourself. Running water on the eye will not damage the eye. Eye drops are fine to use but if the irritation hadn't gone away already then something is still in there. I would just go to the eye doc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.