Feet!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am really struggling to walk at the moment because my right ankle seems to have a swollen ring around my foot and all my tendons leading to my toes are so painful.  I’ve also got osteoarthritis in my left knee so look a right idiot trying to walk. I’ve tried paracetamol, ibrofen, anti inflammatory and reverted back to co codomal which makes me feel sick. Has anyone got any ideas except cutting my legs off!!!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Ps.  I had RAI in December and have gone underactive. I had been on 125 mg but just had bloods done last week and been reduced to 100 mg
  • Posted

I'm pretty sure this doesn't relate to your thyroid issue but is related to the osteoarthritis instead. One thing to understand is that often tightness and stiffness in one area of the body translates into problems in other areas.  Stretching the hamstrings may help release the tension in the ankle and foot. What exercises has your doctor given you to strengthen your leg muscles to help with supporting the knee?  

I have osteoarthritis in both knees but only the left hurts but as  I've been working to strengthen my leg muscles the knee hurts less and I get similar kinds of issues with my ankle and foot.  What helps is gentle stretching and when it is really bothersome to wear an ankle brace that supports the foot as well.  I'd suggest physical therapy and or massage therapy to get the muscles on that leg to relax.  Another thing that often helps me is dry needling which makes the muscles stop the spasms. 

I have finally figured out why my left knee is painful when the right one isn't, considering that the xrays show that they right knee is in worse shape.  The difference is that the left knee has a baker's cyst behind it.  Massaging that with my left elevated has helped a great deal.  What I do is lay on bed with feet against the wall and massage the cyst toward my hip and then keep my feet up there for about 15 minutes.  I read or something so I'm not bored. Over the past few weeks I've had less and less pain in that knee. I'm going to try a castor oil heat pack this weekend as an attempt to help drain the cyst since the doctor's refuse to do this any more because they say they just come back.  But this has meant that I have just come back (to the doctor) every 6 months for another injection.  Trying to solve it myself or help myself with this.

Hope this is helpful and not confusing.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I have been given the normal exercises etc but I still think my ankle is thyroid related because both ankles have been swollen it just this one has decided it hurts in other places. My knee only started hurting when I came off my carbimozile!!!
  • Posted

great. hope you are doing the exercises. it is too easy to avoid doing them because of pain or our busy lives.
  • Posted

Hi, I was the exact same, felt I was 30 years older. Went to my gp and asked for a trial of t3, was referred to consultant, started t3 and like magic, most of my aches and pains disappeared. Failing a trial of t3, maybe you need an increase of your t4 meds. I advise you put a post on thyroid uk...healthunlocked forum, where you will get amazing advice and support. X
    • Posted

My doctor doesn't check for T3 and just rxed T4 and the last check showed that it didn't convert to T3 so it was very low... so I went to a naturopath who gave me a different thyroid med and now after 3 weeks my T3 is in the normal range.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.