Feet and Ankle problems, possible Gout?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey, over a month ago the bottom of my feet really started to hurt when I stood up. I felt that I had deep bone bruises one middle toes of both feet, swollen bumps/bruises around front and side of arches, black and blue, very painful to touch. My ankles became swollen/bruised and very tight. top of foot a oval lump appeared, very painful to the touch. It got to a point I could not walk, went to the VA, they told me it was due to a blood pressure medication I was taking, but took it for over a year, swelling occurs, but nothing like this ever. Never had this before ever. The swelling has gone down, ankles have improved, and the bruised bumps on bottom of feet are gone, but peeled similar to blisters if you know what I mean. peeling has occurred around all effected areas. Anyone have these issues, and what to do to fix and prevent them in the future. They VA has ignored my complaints change my blood pressure medication which has done nothing but raise blood pressure. getting no help, any ideas?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi HolyCow. Your description doesn't match my experience with gout very well, but it could be some variation on gout or pseudo-gout. It's the pseudo-gout that has impaired my walking - at least I think it's pseudo-gout - more than the regular gout. But actual bruises and blisters are not a normal part of it, or haven't been for me.

Did you get a uric acid blood test when you saw the VA?

Are you on any other meds, blood thinners, maybe?

Might be worth a second opinion from doctors outside the VA.

What BP meds are you on, do they include a diuretic - can reduce swelling from other BP meds and is just an effective BP treatment, too.

Are you able to walk now?

• Posted

I could always walk, but the bruises around the arch of my feet were super painful, and they eventually went away, but peeled like blisters do, but no blisters. I have never had this happen to me, and always had minor swelling, but nothing like what I had. I still have a painful lump/bump on backside of chin that has not gone away and sore to the touch. I take calcium channel blockers and another one I can not remember. The lumps on my foot have gone, but have left a serious darkness type bruise, really thought that was the crystallization of the uric acid. The test was ran after the main issues started to go away, etc... But was told they were normal. The swelling and even the bruising I could go with, but both were going away before switching to another BP medication. Like I said, top of one foot still inflamed but lumps are gone. Currently my feet are drying and peeling, keeping the moist and rub them nightly. I have seen picture of gout and it sure looks like it, but not the severe type, but afraid if I can not get this to go away, it could get worse. Thanks for your time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.