Feet and cortisone

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone had cortisone injections for very painful foot?  Told by a podiatrist they don't do that any more.  But I dread wearing shoes, let alone the prospect of winter boots in a few months.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have had the injections in my finger but I wouldn't bother any more. Why? because they are very painful for about 48hours. Then in my case, each time it worked for a month or so and then I was back to pain again. 

My GP gave me Capiscam cream to try and that really helped, but be careful its made from chillis

• Posted

It depends on what the injection if for. I have heard that they don't do them for planter fasciitis any more because they found that it rarely works. However a few months ago I had an injection on top of my foot for osteoarthritis in one of my bones. It did absolutely no good.

What is your pain from, do you know? Where is the pain?

• Posted

It depends on what the injections are for.  I had Morton's Neuromas's in both feet and had injections in both, but it did no good whatsoever and eventually I had operations to remove both of them. 

• Posted

Thanks for responses.  As far as I know it's probably a nerve which is being squeezed by joints afflicted with osteoarthritis.  Definitely not plantar fasciitis, but I do have the so called Morton's foot with all its attendant problems! Sounds like the injections really aren't a good option so that's good to know,  Think I may give the capsaicin a try.  Thanks again! smile

• Posted

I had cortisone injections for Mortons Neuroma in my left foot.  As with wknight - they hurt like hell, both as they were done and for about two days afterwards.  The pain relief for the Neuroma was minimal and only last a few weeks, then it came back.  Was offered them for my thumb joints but said no after the foot experience.  I did have an injection recently in my shoulder for ruptured bicep tendons (I think they call it a rotator cuff tear) - I insisted on a local anaesthetic before the doctor did the injection so it didnt hurt at the time but it did hurt a lot over the following week.  To be honest, I think the pain relief provided isnt noticeable, so I wont bother again.
    • Posted

Hi Loxie,

if you are offered an op for the Mortons Neuroma's, don't be afraid to go for it.  I could not put foot to floor before my ops, it was just like walking on a pebble beach without shoes, horrendous pain.  Because of my unstable Angina, I had the first op under a lumber anaesthetic so that I was numb from the waist down and was able to talk to the surgeon.  He showed me the removed neuroma and said it was one of the biggest he had ever seen.  

The recovery time was a bit of a bind, I was not able to walk without crutches for about a month.  The second was done under a full anaesthetic as the surgeon (different one) thought spinal blocks were too risky.  

• Posted

Hi Sukes.  Glad to hear your surgery for the neuroma was successful.  My surgeon didnt think I should have surgery for it, not quite sure why - he was a little difficult to understand and was doing surgery on my right ankle that day and seemed to be unwilling to discuss anything much else.  I developed it in my left foot as a result of major injury to my right ankle, which put extra strain on the left leg as I was non weight bearing on the right for nearly a year.  It's still there but it's bearable, only hurts in certain shoes or when I've been on my feet too long.  I've had the problem since 2009 but I mentioned it again to my GP last year and they too said they didnt think it was necessary to have surgery.  I had my last two follow up surgeries on my right ankle (one to remove some bolts and a plate which had become dislodged and were causing issues and a second to do an arthroscopy) both by epidural - I hope to God I never have to have another epidural, it was awful - it hurt so bad as they were giving me the lumber shot that I was having trouble keeping still and that put me at risk of paralysis, then I passed out and when I came round I had severe breathing difficulties.  The anaesthetic nurse told me I may have had an allergic reaction, which is rare but can happen.  When I had general anaesthetic at the time of my accident, I came round without any side effects at all.  I have a compromised immune system so I think my doctors avoid against surgery if possible as I never heal well.

• Posted

Oh my goodness Loxie, that must have been so frightening for you.  I think that my second surgeon must have had doubts which is why he opted for full anesthetic.  

It sounds like your poor ol feet have gone and are still going through some major problems so maybe that's why they are reluctant to do more at the moment especially with your compromised immune system.   x

• Posted

Epidural doesnt suit everybody I guess.  To be honest, I'm much happier with the thought of being out for the count and not knowing what they're slicing into smile

The neuroma isnt too bad, just catches me off guard sometimes when I step wrongly or in certain shoes - funnily enough the flatter the shoe the more uncomfortable it becomes.  The OA in the right ankle gives me mobility issues but it's manageable.  At present, the worst pain is from the ruptured bicep tendons - cant lift even a coffee cup some days - it irritates me no end, hate being incapacitated or unable to fend for myself in any way.  It was worth trying the cortisone shots even if theyre painful, in the hope it worked, guess they dont work for everyone though.  My best friend had surgery for his morton's neuroma which didnt work the first time but he needed further surgery for his big toe joint and they did something more to the neuroma and it's much better now.

• Posted

Hi Any age

I've had them for frozen shoulder and worked right away. Since having athritis the have not done anything at all. The pain is unbearable. Then you have to wait months in between to see consultant again. In my opinion not worth the hassle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.