Feet Operations

Posted , 7 users are following.

i have had very painful feet now for over 6 months the top of my foot is swollen and very painful the swelling is hard and OK whilst I'm sitting but when I stand the pain is bad and I'm walking along crippled then if I keep walking it wears off coming back intermittently.

i saw a consultant who says I need both feet operating on and metal plates inserted where the swelling is after he's sorted out the bones

well I'm terrified of being off my feet for any length of time as he says no weight bearing for 3 months then 3 months to start walking again and 12 months till recovered then the other foot will be sorted

has anyone had a similar experiance?would you advise surgery?are there any alternatives?Im 68 and frightened to death this will be the end of me

what if it's still painful or worse?

what if I never walk properly again?

i would greatly appreciate any input

thanks..

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Lets look at the options, have surgery 6months till walking again, afterwards no pain, which is priceless and you can walk. Alternative a life of pain and being cripple.

easy decision, surgery unless you want to be in pain and a cripple for the next 20 years. You can't walk properly now, surgery has to be better. Unlikely surgery will result in more pain. I would be running to the surgeon asking when he can do it 

• Posted

Hi SallySims; Yes this does seem  a very drastic op for anyone.  Have you considered asking another Orthopaedic/ Bone surgeon  for a second opinion?  What did the surgeon say was the problem, that needs this sort of operation?  I have Osteo, but have never experienced what you are going through (thank goodness).

?Do you have a Rhuematologist that may be of help as well ?  I have both that I speak to (a Rhuematologist and an Ortho ) and together they give me advice on what to do.   If it is Bone Spurs, then I know these can be very painful, but from what I have seen /heard re these treatments, they shave off the spur and break the bones, and reset with plaster on for 6 weeks: but nothing as drastic as Plates etc.

?I really think I would be getting some more advice / opinions before going ahead....you may fiind that this is the only answer, (and if so, then I guess you don;t have much choice, if you can't stand the pain ).  

?Have you even tried having Hydro-cortisone injections into the affected sites (or even Local Anaesthetic injected ) ???   This has worked for me on most of my joints, but as I have said, my pain is not the same as you are describing. 

?I know I seem to be rambling, but am trying to think of all aspects for treating your pain, without having to have the surgery......Bron

• Posted

I too am struggling with the idea of a foot operation This will be my second one and it is for something different to you. It will be for a torn ligament, a bone spur and possibly chronic plantar fasciitis. However, I am suffering from. chronic osteoarthritis as well on the top of my feet. I too am frightened as the operation on my other foot, three years ago, was more complicated than envisaged.

However, the operated foot works extremely well and it is the same surgeon performing this operation. My podiatrist has told me what a great surgeon she is and this has led to me feeling much better about it. It really is important to trust your surgeon and see them as many times as you need to in order to discuss the operation. Talk to other professionals about the surgeon's reputation and build up a picture in your mind of what it will be like when you are able to walk again.

Get as much support as you can from family and friends and tell people so that they can be aware of your lack of mobility. My husband was surprisingly helpful, whereas others family members who I expected to help, were not. I agree that you could get a second opinion as well. Ask your GP and don't be fobbed off!!

• Posted

Sounds like a drastic step,no pun intended, but as others have said it may be your best choice.  I would ask a lot of questions to make sure it really is the best option, that way you will be confident you've made the best decision.  Not to hijack your discussion, but I'm facing a similar quandary, with my teeth.  Have just cancelled two appointments to have the slight groove I'm apparently causing through brushing the exposed dentin at the top of my teeth. Dentist wants to "fill" the grooves.  When I went online just to find out what to expect when this was done, I found nothing about this being a treatment for the condition (receding gums probably caused by being on prednisone).  I'm certainly going to be asking a lot of questions before I go through with getting this procedure on five teeth and the probability it will have to be redone as the fillings won't hold well, as well as more teeth becoming involved in the future.  

If your foot procedure will almost certainly result in permanent improvement I think you will be happy at the end, but to set your mind at rest, do ask about what alternatives there are.

Good Luck!  Do let us know how you get on.  

• Posted

Hi Sally

I have just spent the past 2 years and 6 months going through exactly these problems although mine was feet reconstructions involving the repositioning of my heel, extra bones removed that I was born with, bunion removal and tendon reposition involving large screws inserted to maintain stability of my foot. These in one foot later was removed lasted November as it turned out I was allergic. Right I was non weight bearing for 2 months and crutches and walking boot for another 2 months and 14 months recovering from first operation and the same for the second foot of which I am 8 months through recovering including the op to remove my screws in one foot. I will say it was not easy. My husband had to give up work the first time as he worked away from home so he got a job near home so he was able to come home in his breaks to help me. I had good friends too who helped. Initially I was on crutches but I found it easier to use a sits stool that I got through the hospital. I knelt on it and moved it around. When I got more mobile I used my crutches more. The first 8 weeks we rented a wheelchair from red cross. Made life easier. I am 60 now and a bit obese so I too was worried. I had the ops done by epidural as I was afraid of anaesthetic and recovery. Going to the loo was a challenge but doable. Tena ladies were necessary unfortunately but not for everyone. The pain was managed very well in hospital and on my return home. I worked out that codeine phosphate together with paracetamol suited me. I didn't do well with morphine and other meds like tramadol. I won't lie it wasn't easy and if you don't have a partner you will need to be organised. When hubby was out I had a flask of hot water and snacks handy to keep me going. I had a bag that went on my back so that I could use crutches easier. I used this to transfer food from kitchen to my chair. Hubby had to be there to make hot meals. I couldn't get upstairs so I slept in my electric recliner for 2 months after each op. Not as bad as it sounds. You will need a downstairs bed as you cannot crawl as you cannot stand from your knees without using your feet in some way and this is not allowed. Try it to see. You have to be able to hop up stairs. Again I couldn't do that. After all this my first foot is now pain free. I look forward to the second foot healing so that I will be totally pain free. Although I am not 100% sure this will be the case as I have some nerve damage which occurred when I fell on my crutches and I caused damaged to screws causing my allergic reaction. Long story cut short don't try to rush on crutches. I would never tell anyone to have an operation but I am telling you my experience as you asked. I am glad I went through it as I was in much more pain before than I am now and like having a baby you soon forget the pain. Get a blue badge if you can for your recovery. It helps a lot for getting around. I also had a bath board which was great as I couldn't stand long for a shower and bathing was awkward to get out. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hello Sallysims, 

I have had many operations, my last i am still recovering from which i had on Dec 14th. I have had several operations including 2 total knee replacements on my left knee, recently a partial knee replacement on my right knee. I have had 2 bunions on both feet done. I also had 1 knee replacement done whilst the leg was broken. I have been in a splint, whilst non weight bearing. I have recovered from all these operations, apart from the latest, i am still recovering. I had operations as a child also. With all my adult operations i have lived alone and managed. 

I would say if your operation will give you a chance of being pain free its worth the inconveinience of recovering. Be well prepared beforehand. I made sure everything was sorted, freezer full, everywhere was cleaned and hoovered, bed changed etc. I even had my hair cut and i coloured it the night before. The only time i wasn't prepared was when i broke my leg and had to have a splint, being non weight bearing until my operation, which was thankfully only 2 weeks to wait. I slept downstairs in my spare room in a single bed which a friend kindly brought down from upstairs for me. I now live in a downstairs flat which as helped me greatly. I have had my daughter and a friend get shopping. I am still on crutches and have walked to town and back, i have even been to the cinema today. You can get equipment from the hospital to help, i have borrowed a hostess trolley so that i can take my meals where i can sit down to eat, i have had simple meals with little washing up after. I also pre cooked some meals and froze them before i had my operation. I have also borrowed a toilet frame from the hospital to help with getting on and off the toilet. I consider the fact that before my operation i was in constant pain and 2 weeks after operation i am pain free and just a little sore. I have managed and so will you. Hopefully you have some friends or family that can help you. Consider the long term benefits such as being pain free and better mobility. Wishing you the best whatever you decide.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hello SallySims.

My name is Angela and I'm 50yrs old, I suffer with osteoarthritis in my big toes and my right toe is broken, and bunions growing into my bones, I also have nerve damage on my right foot, Im also flat footed which I'm in the process of buying insoles, i absolutely know how you're feeling, I'm due to go and see a consultant next month for an assessment.

This is my last chance of hopefully walking with no pain, and the worry that I can walk just a few steps up the road, No pain relief helps, 4 steroid injections, I have the even asked my dr about having my feet amputated as I can't take the pain anymore.

The only time my feet don't over hurt is when I'm wearing sandals called Ella Sandals, as the sandals have a gel foaming and a slight arch. I'm hoping that my operation will be in the next few months, if I should have my surgery before you I can keep you up to date with my progress if you'd like.

I can understand that you're frightened as I am to but we're at the end of our teather.

Ang x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.