Fell

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just fell 4 weeks post op broken ankle. Ug. Anyone else do this ?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi christina....welcome to the land of the hoppers!!!..  not nice is it. I had my fall 11th April. 3 casts and 1 boot laterIm now on crutches and cant wait to get rid of them. 5 weeks of physio (1 a week) . Still not ble to walk without crutches but have managed to cut it down to one most days. Stiil have a lot of pain, swelling has subsided a lot now, thak goodness. Be preparded for a long haul. As you are most probably in a cast still, then try and keep yor foot elevated as must as poss, it does help with the welling and pain if your getting some. I fell and broke my ankle on both sides having to have paltes and screws in both sides. Doctors told me that the right side of my ankle was a right mess!! Trust me, wasnt even that bad a fall sad. Wishing you well with your recovery. Keep in touch . This forum has been a godsend to me and others going through the same....sx
    • Posted

I so agree with you about this forum. I feel so much better just having this available. I had no idea what I had actually done to myself. Even still, I was thinking I'd be back to work after my next appt 2.5 wks from now and my boss, no stranger to medical, said to me today that she didn't expect me for another 6-8wks. I was all, wait, what? Go faster ankle, dang!

• Posted

im now nearly  at week  15 and still not able to walk without help. Im lucky enough not to worry about work as i finished few ears ago. But at just 60 im finding this really hard....im young 60 and love girlies times missing them so much. pain is too bad for me to get out and enjoymyself at the moment. But would feel too nervious having to se crutches any way. Have youhad plates n screws put in? If so at  6/8 weeks i wasnt even allowed to put weight on foot at all. That didnt happen till around week 9 or 10 then it was only part weight. Pain and swelling was really bad still. But lets hope your recovery if a fast one then back to work it could be for you. sx
    • Posted

Maybe my boss was right. I don't know yet. I sure hope not. I hope your girlfriends come and visit you sometimes. We need friend time right now so much. My besty came and spent my 1st 4 days after surgery with me and I am forever grateful for that. After awhile I just figured I'd be miserable outside the house too so I ventured out but I always have to be able to elevate or I can be very uncomfortable, still am occasionally, especially if it's really hot out. (It's like 90* here) I am week 3 today exactly. I just went out today and it was pretty uncomfortable. I can't do long trips out either. My sutures are irritating my lateral incision. I called the office and just let them know. It was poking out and then the F-er disappeared so I couldn't trim it..it's fairly common for the body to start rejecting them some. I do have a plate and 4 pins on the outside and a long screw on the inside, so bilateral incisions. My next appt I will have an X-ray to see progress and whatever weight bearing I can do I suppose I'll find out. I'm keeping a close eye on it but I don't like it and google will do me in if I look anymore! Expletive* I'm going to the grocery store and I'm gonna try out one of those motorized carts 🤣If you're bored or missing those girlies, I've got a lot of free time lady!

• Posted

I had lots of visitors while I was in hospital, but it a sore point since I've been home. 😢. First few weeks I had a few come and visit, but now 15 weeks down and no one has been. My son lives at home. He's 18 and hadn't been lucky enough to find a full time job yet, but he does do quite a bit of work helping out with filming weddings graduations and helps out in a recording studio, so can be out quite a bit once the work is tho. Hubby works around the clock, both my daughters live 27 miles away and both gave family and busy lives, so I don't get to see them as often as I would like. So I do feel alone most of the time. I know where your coming from when you say how uncomfortable it is to be out for a while and not able to elevate, especially when you still have cast/boot. Having to get pushed around store in ? makes me feel *liw* and the thought of having to use a motor chair just to get out..... Well I would never go out. I've always had a thing about them, should get rid of the stigma I have about them, but it's 2 legs every time for me. Why I'm like this I don't know 😔. Was looking forward to go out today with my son driving (he's learning at the moment) just for him to take cloths back to store, but it's raining hard ? so wouldn't feel safe walking with crutches incase I slip once in the store, so that's out. Another day in. My anxiety levels go through the roof even more now than ever. Wish we could meet up. But think it would be a long trip? My guess is your in the States? I'm in 🇬🇧 When I got my stitches out it was hurendus, had to have gas n air because of the pain. Weeks later I could feel sharp ends sticking through the wound, when I could get them out I could see it was the stitches that got left in. They obviously cut them and just got rid of the surface part!! All healed well the. Just looks very deformed and horrible once the ankle swells up

😔.. That's my moan over. Sorry for the story 📙 book. 😁 😁. Sx

• Posted

Yea, all the 2 legs are living life and carrying on while we watch 😜 What is "liw"? There is a little bit of a stigma with the scooters but, and I'm not sure about where you're from, around here it seems most people who use them use them questionably. I have to say, it was kind of fun and I laughed with my friend. They beep when you back up and turn on a dime! I wouldn't want to go out in the rain just because I wouldn't want to get all wet. Sometimes when I haven't gone anywhere for awhile I'll just go and sit on the deck or get the mail for sake of not remaining stationary. I also have cats to keep me company but I know not everyone is a cat person. As for the stitches, mine are dissolvable and they told me to clip it at the level of the skin and they would retract and disintegrate. They look like fishing line though, and you're right-look way worse when swollen. Incisions are looking better though, still more pink than I prefer and I'm struggling not to google my brains out into an anxious oblivion. I picked up some hibiclens last night (we use it in hospitals for wound cleaning, also known as Chlorhexidine) and wash it at least daily. I picked up some waterproof bandages (so my scars don't sunburn and become anymore prominent than they already are) because we're going on a pontoon today. Some sun will do me good. You are a long ways away! Are you on Facebook? That's how I keeps up with my peeps far away 😊Keep your chin up. The power of the mind is 💪🏼 strong. Lie to your body until it believes it ??One day we'll look back on this with a good story!

• Posted

ha ha liw.....should of read LOW as thats ow ive been feeling thee past few days. Lucky to have dissolvable stitches. I have to say that when the took mine out it was really really bad pain. They had tto call in the consultant to take them out. They gave me gas n air. Apprently mine had been left in a little onger than they should of so my wound was healing over the top of them, so they really had to dig down the get to the ends for cutting. It was horrid. Took ages. Had 9 on the inside of ankle and 15 on the outside. Scars are not too bad and the surgen told me he did his best not to disturb my tattoo as i have my family in flowers going from my ankle down across my foot to my big toe.   he did a great job. lol.But had to admit once my ankle swells just around the outside ankle bone it doesnt look so nice and can see big indentation. sad Thats alli did was Googlein the early days as i kept thinking every little twinge I got was teling me something was wrong, only when the took the cast off so i could see for myself did i put my thoughts to rest.I am on FB under Sandra Nurden would be nice for you to look me up. Im a strong beleiver in mind over matter, but this has taken its toll on me...sx
  • Posted

I am 3wks p/o now and I have fallen off my knee scooter twice. One a week ago getting off the blue line in Chicago (so embarrassing) and the other time was at home, about 2 days ago, leaning over too much trying to look behind my floor speaker. Each time it seemed like it took forever to hit the ground because of all the thoughts going through my head, don't use your leg being the loudest. It's amazing to me how I can get so tangled in that scooter. I've also fallen into things a bit on crutches but never all the way down. I have not hurt myself or lessened my recovery. I did, however, suffer from some increased pain afterwards for maybe a half day. Do you think you've done something injurious or just curious if you're the only unstable one? smile PS I am a healthy (disappointed in my bones BTW) 37yr old clumsy girl. I should not be falling but given the situation I will go easy on myself and chalk it up to readjusting to my new lifestyle and environment. Hope you're ok.

• Posted

I'm clumsy! 40 years old! I am a little sore ... took Tylenol and put ice on it. It scared me! I know the aircast boot protects it and all but I had visions it messed up my ankle. Scary!!!

• Posted

Ugh i know. I tend to take it off a lot and move my foot around but I wear it whenever moving about. The crutches get away from me sometimes too smile and man my hands hurt as I don't really rest them in my armpits.

• Posted

How do u move your foot around? Did your Dr tell u to? I am worried to hardly wiggle my toes !
    • Posted

Yes dr said boot can be off when I'm on couch and for me to dorsi/plantarflex, and to do circles and the alphabet 4x day. The boot keeps stability and helps prevent foot drop. Surprisingly it didn't hurt to move my toes or bend up and down, it's the circles that kind of make me sick. I tighten and release my calf and try to do leg lifts, anything not involving my ankle. You may be different but just give your office a call to find out. If you don't move it you lose it!

• Posted

Ok I move my toes around . Dr mentioned abc and circles after next visit which will be in three more weeks and FWB . I guess all doctors are different. I lift my leg too sometimes to keep from going crazy.
    • Posted

Wiggle toes as much as possible. I was afraid to do it myself too, but I have a bunion on my bug toe joint, and its now giving me so much trouble, and been told it's because I didn't move it enough in the early days. Once I had my second cast I wiggled them all the time, but the damage had been done in the first 5weeks. So WIGGLE AWAY 😁. Sx

• Posted

I just did today and tomorrow will be 3 weeks post op.

Yes I was trying to use crutches but the crutches won.

I hope and pray no damage to my left ankle

• Posted

As I wrote I fell off scooter today. I am sore! I didn't go to dr but wonder if I should have . I will see how I feel tomorrow. Unfortunately tomorrow is Friday and he does surgeries on Friday so i won't be able to get in . This is not fun! Hope you are ok!

• Posted

I hope you are okay too. The splint cast he put me in seems pretty well protected.

We will find out tomorrow.

• Posted

ER and urgent care are an option if in your areas d you become too concerned. There is probably an in call number for emergencies too.
    • Posted

I'm sure the cast gas saved everything. I really think you would know if something was wrong Pain wise. Plus I think it would swell a lot so you would get a lot of discomfort. Toes would swell too so I'm sure all is OK if you have none of this. Fingers Xsd all is ok keep us posted. Sx

• Posted

Hello Christina

How are you doing. Hope you are getting better.

It will be 4 weeks post op and I was just put in my hard cast last Friday. I am using my knee scooter but do need help getting it in and out of car. Still not the best at the balancing act. I just started back at work (desk job left foot elevated).

Feels good to get out and I use my knee scooter. Still taking it easy on it as I don't have the full easiness with it yet. How are you with your scooter?

• Posted

I'm better. I have the aircast boot and am good on scooter. Maybe too good considering I fell over on it! Lol!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.