Fell After Surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am six weeks out from my Achilles Tendon surgery (starting weight bearing today). I fell two days ago and landed on my injured foot and felt a pop. I went straight to the ER and after having three different people look at it I was told everything is fine besides the acute trauma I caused during the fall. I am still paranoid that I messed it up when I fell. Is popping during healing normal? Has anyone else fallen on their injured leg after surgery? 

The pain was not nearly as bad as it was when I initially tore it.

First image was two weeks ago, following one was today.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I fell down stairs and landed on injured leg whilst still in the cast. Hurt quite a bit but didn’t get it checked out straight away as was seeing surgeon a couple of days later. He said I’d probably just pulled a couple of muscles and wasn’t too concerned. 

Were you in an aircast boot when you fell? Any gap between the tendon? And did they at least ultrasound your tendon to make sure it wasn’t injured again? xx

• Posted

I am seeing my surgeon in about two days for my post surgery check up, so I didn't make an appointment to see him. I wasn't in my casted boot when I fell. I was hopping abut three feet to get something across the room when my ankle gave out and I fell.

I felt a pop when I fell but when I was checked out they said everything was okay. My reflexes were still good and they could feel my tendon was attached toward my heel.

They didn't do an ultrasound. I should have asked for one. I was skeptical that they could check everything well but didn't want to ask for an MRI.

• Posted

Hi, if three medic checked and said you are good, no need to worry, did they check with hand behind your ankle whether if there s a tension? it s the easist eay to check called thomson...
    • Posted

They gave me a reflex test and they felt where my tendon was towards the bottom of my heel. 

With my surgery thy fixed a tear and a partial rupture. I am confident that the tear is okay, but it is the partial rupture sutures I am concerned about.

• Posted

Hi! Danielle,

Just curious as to what your doctor told u when u went for your checkup?

I had achilles repair 8 weeks ago. Had a soft cast for 1 week and nothing after that, other than dressing over sutures and ace bandage, NWB. Was completely pain free after the surgery until one week ago, I lost my footing using crutches and all my weight went on surgery foot, then I fell. It immediately began to swell and bruise. I think i re-tore the tendon. Went to my doctor the following day, he didn't order anything to check only squeezed along the tendon to see if it was still intact, which he says it is. It has been a week and the bruising appears to be increasing as well as the swelling and pain. Have kept it up and iced, doesn't seem to help. He also wants me to wear my boot. I go back next week.

• Posted

Well Bernard, that's been awhile ago. At that time everything was fine. 2 1/2 months later, I was walking in my yard, stepped in a hole. Completely ruptured the same tendon plus took most of the calcaneous ( heel bone) with it. Had to have reconstruction surgery, lengthening of the tendon and repair of the calcaneous. It has been a very long and tedious recovery. The 1st surgery was a cake walk this one was the complete opposite. I was 4 months in a cast, NWB; 2 months in a walking boot, still NWB; 1 month in boot, WB; and finally now walking in supportive tennis shoes. Physical therapy for 4 months so far. I still have a slight limb, more prominent when I have been on my feet most of the day, swelling, pain when the weather changes and extreme stiffness in my ankle/heel area. On days that I walk alot, the stiffness eases but then it swells. My Ortho for this surgery said it would take at least a year, possibly 2 before it would be back to normal because of all the damage I did the second time. I, also, am not allowed to go back to work unless it's a job sitting. In this area, those are far and few, thankfully, I will be 62 in October so I will start drawing my social security. All in all the 2nd surgery went great, just the total recovery time is a pain.

• Posted

thanks a lot for your reply Amy!! Best wishes, and nice to hear the second surgery went fine despite the long recovery!

• Posted

Hi Danielle! I read about your experience when you fell after you Achilles tendon surgery? i was wondering how you are doing? I had an Achilles Tendon surgery in April of 2019 I fell in late May and caused significant damage to my ankle...extensive bruising and swelling my Dr said that would set me back a few months in my recovery but he didnt think i had retorn my achillies... a MRI did show maybe a partial tear and an ultrasound showed i have a blood clot in my leg from the fall! its been many months of physical therapy but i cant walk without a painful limp.... my Dr is suggesting a second surgery to clean out the scar tissue using stem cells from my hip to prevent it from coming back and maybe extend my tendon ..... thanks for any advice .....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.