Fell on broken leg, worried I've done further damage

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I fell and broke my tibia and fibula almost 4 weeks ago, and had ORIF surgery to fix the bones with a plate and screws the day after. It's now in a cast but when going to turn off a light on my crutches I lost my balance and fell putting weight on the broken leg. I'm worried I have caused further damage to the leg and have set my recovery back, especially as I am obese and a lot of weight went on the leg. It was only for a second but I'm worried that the amount of weight on it has done damage. It hurts still (it's been a few hours) and there is some slight swelling. It also feels different, but I don't know if that's because I'm worrying about it.

It's Friday so I can't call the hospital till Monday and if I have to go in its very difficult as I have to get patient transport organised.

Does anyone have any advice, or has this happened to you?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Awww hun sorry to hear that have you tried calling the on call Dr? being that it feels different and theres slight swelling i was always advised to contact my on call Dr... and you did take a fall they might ask that you come in and get xrays , keep us posted see what they tell you, for now elevate your leg, i know transportation can be a problem but at least get the Dr's feedback..

• Posted

Gosh, I'm sorry that happened to you. I would think that your cast would protect your leg from further damage. Please do call first thing on Monday to see what the doctors think. Until then I suggest you follow the RICE protocol. Rest, Ice (if you can), Compression (if possible) and Elevation. So if you have a recliner spend time laid back in that with your leg elevated with pillows on the foot rest. That would cover Rest and Elevation. The goal is to have the injured leg higher than your heart. I've been told that worry doesn't change anything and I believe it. So try not to worry because what ever the fall did it's not going to be changed by the amount of worry you waste your time on. Watch a favorite old movie or read a good book. Plan on improving your health by taking off some weight and how that can be accomplished. I went to WW and lost 70 lbs over a long long time but have kept it off for 15 years. If I did it anyone can. Good luck.

• Posted

I'm trying my best not to worry and finding stuff to distract myself, I took your advice and watched a movie. I've had it elevated all night, thank you for the advice.

I don't actually have a number for my doctor or the one on call, the only option I have is to call 111. And I'm not sure how much help they'll be.

After this I am definitely going to be serious about my weight, this situation has been a wake up call.

• Posted

I feel your anxiety about this. I did the same thing two weeks ago when I was 4 weeks post op for ORIF on my fibula. I'm also not even close to optimal weight (which all the non-weight bearing, resting etc is not helping.. I was on a good track of trying to exercise and had been learning a sport and everything when I injured myself).

Mine also felt a bit weird after, and there was swelling around the top of the plate that felt like a hard lump, but it didn't hurt to manipulate or anything which freaked me out but I went to the ED and they weren't concerned in the slightest, they didn't even xray it at that time.

My physio had previously said to me that the plate and screws were pretty strong and there to be a split for the fracture, so any falls while in the cast (boot for me) should be okay - he was more concerned about what would happen other ankle if I did fall.

I just got an xray three days ago at my 6-week follow up and every was fine, and I was cleared to weight bear.

I would still follow up with your doctor/hospital on Monday, but between the cast and the plate, you are most likely okay. Follow RICE, and if you can, take anti-inflammatories or low level pain meds.

It does feel weird to step on it at first because there has been no sensory input for so long. So the nerves are all waking back up. I got hypersensitive to touch on my foot for a while during this heeling process.

• Posted

Thanks that has taken a load off my mind. I've never had a broken bone before so if don't know what to expect but I need to remember what you said about the plate and cast being strong.

I'm going to give them a call on Monday just in case but it is doing better today, little swollen still but no real pain.

I'm dreading how weird it will feel when I can walk on it again but also excited. Best of luck with your physio and recovery. 😊

• Posted

definitely worth a call at least for your peace of mind. i had a broken fibula last summer and fell on it twice in the 4th week. The first time i fell backwards and instinct had me putting my foot down. it was the worst pain and i pulled it up immediately and ended up falling all the way down. The second time was at the top of the stairs when i fell forward and my choices were put my foot down or fall on my face on the concrete. i was terrified i had done damage that week but hoped for the best since i was so close to being released to begin weight bearing. i elevated, iced, and rested both times. mine ended up being fine and my dr wasnt worried at all. he xrayed but he did at every appointment anyway to check the progress. i would bet yours is fine too so try not to worry but i would call monday just to be sure. i wish you the best in your recovery. i know it feels like a never ending forever at that stage but soon youll be able to start your journey back to normal.

• Posted

Thank you that has given me some peace of mind. I'm going to call in Monday to check in with the doctor but knowing that it happens and things are alright makes me less worried.

And yeah it feels long at the moment but I keep telling myself it's only temporary. Just can't wait to be walking again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.