Fell on my broken leg!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Four weeks ago I broke my fibula at the ankle. Non-displaced so no surgery. One week from today I am supposed to get my walking boot and be able to start putting some weight on it. I’ve been feeling really good the last week. All the pain has finally left even when I bump my cast. And today I fell on it. Fell backwards while on crutches and instinct had me put my broken leg down. Had a sharp pain when I did. I ended up falling all the way down, I don’t know if maybe the pain had me trying to lift it back up but I didn’t stop the fall. Just worried that I might have done some damage to set me back. Hurts lightly on the front of the ankle now and not where the break was and hurts a bit if I tap my cast which it wasn’t doing anymore. Don’t seem to have any swelling or not much. I didn’t try to prevent swelling because I wanted to know if it would. Hoping maybe it was just a shock to my ankle joint since it hasn’t been used in so long. Of course it happened right at 6 on a Friday so I can’t call my doctor till Monday. Any thoughts on if I may have done some damage or do you think maybe I’m far enough along that it was able to hold up to it?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think that your cast protected you.  Bummer that you fell.  Good thing you didn't break the other leg.  I remember all that I could do was wiggle my toes.  

• Posted

Thank you. It’s nice just to hear someone else say it. I’ve been sore since my fall but hoping when I wake up in the morning it’ll feel as good as it did today. Crossing my fingers anyway. Didn’t swell so I think that’s a good sign. I actually have a pretty big range of motion in my cast the last week. I’m sure it feels like I’m moving much more than I am but I’ve been moving my ankle up and down a bit to work out some of the stiffness. Im sure when I’m freed from this darn thing and allowed to stretch it out it’s not going to be pleasant.
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer 48411,

After my surgery I also fell using crutches. Also was concerned that somehow my ankle was affected. But thankfully when the drs. wrapped my ankle so well that there was no damage.

Hang in there.

txdap

• Posted

Thank you. It’s feeling a lot better but I think I’ll still be on edge a bit until I see that X-ray in a week. I’m soooooooo close to being able to walk some I just don’t want that delayed!
  • Posted

I would go to A&E or your local fracture clinic . I wouldn’t wait  it’s not worth the risk if it healing incorrectly and you needing surgery afterwards ...

I broke R tibia. And L fibula,  both operated on.  And I wouldn’t risk it .... 

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I was sore last night but now it’s been about 24 hours and the soreness seems to be gone already and I either didn’t have swelling or not enough to put pressure against my cast.  The pain wasn’t anything like those first weeks so I think at worst I may have set back the progress but I don’t think there’s any chance I went back and displaced it. I do plan on calling my ortho doctor Monday morning and letting him know I fell on it to see if he wants to move up my appointment to earlier in the week or if he’s not worried about it. I’m supposed to see him Friday anyway. I’m hoping that at just over 4 weeks I had healed enough for it to hold up with the support of the cast.
    • Posted

Well today was the big day! No harm done by my fall thank goodness. Cast came off and I graduated to a boot and the interesting chore of learning to walk again. Permission to start weight bearing using pain as my guide. I think I’m doing pretty well for my first day but very curious how long it will take to work up to full weight. More than that though I worry how long it will take to work out my locked up ankle. I’m starting the back and forth movements my doctor wants me to start with but I don’t think I can even move it an inch yet. Yes.....patience.......🙄 I so don’t have those lol

• Posted

Glad you had no harm after your fall that is good news!

I am currently working through the locked up ankle and have the same worry about how long it will take. I have done the stretching that the physio told me and have already noticed an improvement although the exercises are painful I have pushed through a little bit as don't want to go too far.

I have reached a stage where over the last week it doesn't feel like it has increased and now trying to walk without the boot is really highlighting it which is depressing but still trying to press on.

as you say patience.... If you find it in a shop could you let me know as I would love to buy some as I seem to have run out!!!! lol

• Posted

Haha! I’ve been looking for patience my whole life! I’m hoping to not have to go to physio. My doctor hasn’t brought it up. Right now he’s just having my work my ankle up and down. Just point and flex. I see him again in a week and I’m betting he adds some other stretches. I’m still using my crutches as I’m not up to full weight yet but it’s so much easier to get around since I’m walking through the crutches instead of hopping so to speak. There are moments when I feel like I could do full weight but I’m still too chicken. I think I’ve worked out most of that pins and needles feeling in the bottom of my foot But I’m now in the stage where my leg muscles are screaming at me they’re so sore. I know it’s good because it means I’m using them but sometimes it’s hard to Determine if it’s just muscle pain or is my break hurting too. Best of luck to you in your progress! I know it’s frustrating and slow but we’re getting there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.