fell on my fibreglass cast need advice asap

Posted , 6 users are following.

so i had surgery 3 weeks ago. plate and pins put in. i just got up and lost my balance with my walker and fell. i put my leg out and put a bit of weight on it for 1-2 seconds and then just slipped back onto my bum. it’s not too sore at the moment, i put my foot up on pillows and put some ice on my toes. it just feels a little tight in my cast, but i think im over exaggerating the pain a little because i’m so worried. it’s 10:57pm and i don’t have my licence and have a 8 month old so i can’t get to the hospital. i called the hospital and told them my symptoms and they said it sounds okay at the moment but if the pain starts crazy then call them back or call a home doctor. anyone have advice? i’m just feeling sort of like a stinging feeling on & off but not too much. oh & by the way at the moment i’m non weight bearing for 3 more weeks, get my cast off & an x ray to see if everything’s healing properly 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had quite a nasty fall 5 weeks post surgery - crutches and washing the tiled kitchen floor not a good combination.  Anyway it was agony - my daughter was ready to call an ambulance and i screamed blue murder.  It settled enough that I could sit quietly with my leg up and as I had a hospital visit a couple of days later I didn't go in.  By the following evening it was fairly comfortable only hurting if knocked sideways. When I went for my regular appointment they xrayed it because I'm part of a clinical trial for a removable cast and physio.  It was absolutely fine - the physio said that the ankle is strong with the metal work but will react violently to pain because of fear and what its been through.  I know of a few others who have done similar and have also been fine.  I think if its not fine your body will soon let you know as its already on edge so unless you are struggling with pain or extra swelling you are probably ok.  If in doubt at any point go get it checked

• Posted

I did exactly the same I wouldn't worry see how it is tomorrow, mine was fine. I did it a few times to be honest

• Posted

First of all, God bless you going through this with a baby! I too stumbled, a couple times right after surgery, and of course the natural thing to do is to catch your self with the other leg. Mine swelled a little but is all good. If it's stressing you out, you should get it checked for a peace of mind.

• Posted

Gosh ..poor you..but if you are in a cast you probably were protected from damage ..just not protected from pain. Any slight jolt seems to signal PAIN to the brain after a fracture. Even many weeks down the line. I have struggled with myself (partner has been helpful) Really don't know how I would have coped with baby too...you are doing amazingly well. Hope you have supportive family/friends around you.

• Posted

i know this is an old post and hopefully you are nowfully recovered but great reassuring advice as i hurt my wrist whilst in cast and was really worried. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.