Felling of having a blocked esophagus

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys, please has anyone experienced this? I do have acid reflux and ulcer too. But anytime I take any ulcer drug for some days, my esophagus will feel like its getting blocked and I will find it difficult to belch out the gas which I constantly do. The worst of it is that if I take any fruit like banana, papaya, watermelon, etc, I get the same feeling of my esophagus being blocked or clogged up, and if I stay under the fan or Ac, or drink something cold, the feeling becomes worse. Even drinking ordinary water without making it warm gives me the same symptom. This has made me not to be able to take any ulcer treatment fully as recommended, because after the second or third day, my esophagus will start feeling like its clogged up to my throat and I wont be able to breathe or get air into my lungs. Does anyone experience this? Thanks for your replies.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, definitely. I have almost the exact same issue. I take a PPI daily and haven't had any success trying to wean off of it. I was clinically diagnosed with an esophageal ulcer and probable hiatal hernia that caused a blocked esophagus. The first time it happened the food didn't pass for maybe 3-5 days. It felt like I swallowed an entire apple whole and there was this heavy knot in my upper abdomen. I actually felt contraction pains, like my body was trying to squeeze it through but couldn't. I ended up fasting for 3-4 days just drinking liquids and it eventually passed thankfully. I'm super careful about what I eat now, making sure I really pay attention to chewing well and eating foods I know will leave low residual - things like simple carbs, bread, rice, beans, corn. Drink plenty of water with meals too. I took sucralfate for 3 months for my ulcer, along with once a day PPI and it got better.

• Posted

Hi Alex, thanks for your reply. But mine does not actually block completely that food cannot pass, it just makes me so uncomfortable and unable to breathe well. But am grateful for the tips, hope it helps.
    • Posted

I get this! I started getting symptoms like this after I took a course of antibiotics. I had a weird heart palpitation one night that made me freak out, I ended up throwing up since it felt like everything was coming up my throat. I've honestly worried about it being everything under the sun, from panic attacks I now suddenly can't control to cancer, brain tumours, all sorts. When I get really freaked out by it I sweat and get a bit dizzy, this doesn't happen too often but it's horrible when it does.

I'm getting an endoscopy next week to find out what's going on.

I'm terrified and tired by all this. My symptoms are different daily but I definitely get this burping thing!

• Posted

Hi Mj, the experience is always terrifying, cant even explain mine or the cause because I have been to the docs and none of them seem to know what's wrong. Hope u get a solution soon.

• Posted

what kind of symptoms do you get and how long have you had them? On a good day these days I'll get nausea about an hour after I eat, the doctors think this is related to anxiety about the acid reflux though. My first and only symptom for 6 weeks was a feeling food wasn't going down (this turned out to be thrush) and a weird feeling of wanting to gag or retch, especially in the morning. It usually eases at night but as my anxiety increases it's becoming more difficult to get my mind off it. I'm so sorry they can't find a reason for yours. Let me know your symptoms and I'll try to help - some things do help me. Though I'm worried I'll be stuck with this forever. On bad days recently I've been waking up feeling sick which is new and definitely related to anxiety!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.