Fellow citalopam takers please help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Taking citalopam 10mg for 5 days and then onto 20mg and on the 4th day now. Took citalopam few years back and worked then swapped over when it stopped doing its job to sirtaline which did nothing at all so here I am again I've not got insomnia and anxiety is crippling at times plus the odd scary suicidal thought isn't helping either... I know it's very early days but have I got this for months yet.. Gonna be hard and long few months if it is

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anglo,

Hopelessness IS also a side effect. Our brains aren’t producing enough serotonin, as I’m sure you’ve heard. I’m on week 4 on 20mg and I constantly have suicidal thoughts. I know I wouldn’t ever do anything, but at times I feel super vulnerable. 

I’ve taken advice from others, and they say the thoughts will gradually lessen. Stay positive and make sure you let the people around you know exactly how you feel. That way, you have people to turn too if you ever feel like the thoughts are too much. 

I know this will get better, I’m staying so positive and just remember there is so much help available for us! 

Stay strong and don’t give up! 

• Posted

No one knows how long it will take. For me, so far, the side effects have gone within 2-3 weeks. I had a hard time concentrating with 10mg yet when I was upped to 20mg I got stomach side effects yet motivation and concentration was back so it depends.

I think these side effects may be because you upped to 20mg very quickly (only 5 days!). Just stick with it for a couple of weeks and if you find it difficult then contact your Dr. and they'll advise you. It might be that you need a higher or lower dose. Good luck!

• Posted

From your post, you sound as though you are a fighter and willing to get through this. & that is the first step to recovering -  knowing you will! The second is patience.

As your body gets used to the medication, it will take a few weeks. I did a similar thing a while back, started on 10mg for a few days, then up to 20. It took a few weeks for my brain to regulate itself and the chemicals! 

Unfortunately with this illness, it does take a few weeks, before we feel better with the medication. Try to think of it as a broken leg. If you had a broken leg, you would feel fed up and unable to do the things you normally would. Just like a broken leg heals... so does the mind- the brain is much more clever and complex than the bones in our legs and will bounce back.

Just give it time to readjust to the Citalopram smile

Take care .xo

• Posted

yes the first month or so is the hardest. socialization and physical activity I have found helpful. task based activities can help take your mind off the anxiety. swimming is very good as cool water has a calming effect. 1mg atvian tablets are helpful for immediate response to anxiety attacks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.