Felodipine started having knee and joint pains

Posted , 5 users are following.

I startd having knee and joint pains in my legs. At night I found it very difficult to sleep because of the pain in my knees. I was on 5mg then went to 10mg and it seems that this has worsened my joint pains. Also find that when I am lying down at rest, I end up having to go to the toilet. I feel miserable at the mo.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

O'h my goodness, I've been on Felodopine 1.25 mgs (I cut my 2.5 mgs in half) and my knees and ankle are really giving me problems. I enjoy dog walking and have never had probs with joint pain. My left knee in particular is stiff and my right ankle is painful on walking. I've also put on weight in next to no time on this drug. Earlier I was scolded by the gp for cutting my pill in half so dutifully obeyed and took a whole table for all of three days. I had severe chest stabbing pains so stopped for three days. Re-visited the doctor who resumed me on them agreeing to 1/2 tablet. As days pass feeling more groggy and joint pain is worse. I think I will need to stop again and have a rethink.
    • Posted

Come off them. Your GP should prescribe something else. I am still suffering agonising knee pain after coming off them 2 weeks ago. I couldn't take any more. The joint and muscle pain was dreadful. Never again!
    • Posted

Hi Sally, I came off Felodopine two months or so ago, and started on Indapamide 1.5 mgs diuretic, suggested by a pharmacist at Boots as having the least side effects from her experience. My gp doesn't seem all that knowledgeable on BP meds so was willing for me to try them. Have been on these now two months and already I'm at the end of my tether again with side effects, mainly worsening fatigue. Also, the last BP reading I took was 118/77 which I consider to be too low personally. Are you taking anything for your BP at all?
    • Posted

Hi Jane I am on Losartan which seem ok. My BP Is a bit high but the doc wants me to have a break from any others for a few weeks. I am trying to do more exercise (difficult with sore knee) and cutting down to try and lose a bit if weight which will help. I have to go back in August for a decision on what I may have to take next! I have tried bendraflumethiazide which are water tablets but after a few years on them my kidneys were affected so am now just on the Losartan. You probably need to go back and try possibly another doc... Hope you find a resolution.
    • Posted

I've sympathy for your sore knee as it's what I had being on Felodopine. It took a good while to resolve but I continued walking it thru. I'm on the minimum dose of Losartan too but gp said she wants a two prong attack on BP. I think your suggestion to see a different gp is a good one...it's something I do anyway as they all have different approaches. I think I'll return to swimming and step up the exercise to shift a bit of weight, and in the meantime, book to see a different gp. Thanks for your reply and good luck with your exercise!
    • Posted

Thanks Jane! Oddly enough I am starting aquafit tomorrow! It should be good for the knee as no weight bearing involved as tge water supports the body! Hope you find a solution too!
    • Posted

I got in to see a different gp this morning. Advised to stop taking Indapamide due to side-effects - mainly worse fatigue, and have BP monitored over 24 hrs wearing a cuff. These blessed BP meds are problematic in every sense! I'm going to have to investigate alternatives; diet, exercise, supplements! I suffer chronic fatigue as a condition, and having to take other BP meds I might as well just give up and stay in bed!!
    • Posted

Don't give up! Guess what..my knee was feeling better today and I fell over my bike!!!! Now it's Blummin painful again 😠😠. Had done ibuprofen should help! I am still going to persevere with the diet and exercise. BP is a pain!!! Hope you get something sorted soon. 😊
    • Posted

Have just read this post Jane , i know it is about 2yrs since you were on here but i am having so many problems with tablets for B/Pand also think i should just stay in bed ! I also have Chronic fatigue which does not help , have tried over 10 different medications and still cannot find one i can take , i would be interested to hear if you have now managed to find one ?
  • Posted

O'h no....that's a pain! I hope no mechanical damage done, i.e., with knee. There are two exercises I'm going to be starting with; cycling and swimming. I live in the countryside so not much traffic....as hard that's to believe these days! - so I'll get and dust down the bike and ride (not push) IT!! Yoga meditation is also recommendable, and I'm looking into doing this. Swimming three times weekly is what I'm aiming to do. I used to be tubby as a teen, and taking up swimming helped shed the weight and completely changed my shape. What diet are you going to follow Sal? 
    • Posted

I'm going to use the Slimming World diet. I always lose weight on that and they are very good. Loads of tasty recipes too. I used to go every week and I lost 2 stone in 6 months. I don't know that I would lose that much again but at least it will help if I can lose a bit each week. My knees are both sore at the mo as I managed to bash both of them on my bike!! Clumsy! I have never tried yoga but believe that the health benefits are good on that. I haven't dared to look at my BP today since I hurt my knees as pain can make your BP high. Hopefully they'll be better tomorrow. Let me know how you get on with the bike riding. It does help with weight loss too. I love in Shropshire so nice quiet roads here too 😊😊
    • Posted

Have just remembered to tell you....don't take oral ibuprofen as it increases BP. Don't stress if you have already, just for future reference, paracetamol is best or pain relief gel or arnica cream. Thanks for the tip on the Slimming World diet, always best to use expertise and proven diets. I just need to lose weight from my middle...it's amazing how that suddenly happens in menopause!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.