Felt so weird for 9 weeks CFS??

Posted , 9 users are following.

I honestly don't know if I have CFS or what. But nothing like this has ever happened to me in my life.

Before 27 March 2018 I was a fit healthy person for my age (64) I went for long walks, loved my food, chopped firewood, optimistic attitude etc.

27 March, was using the log splitter when I suddenly didn't feel well with:

Weird malaise,

slight nausea

slight headache over right eye

weak & trembly

heart palpitations

wanting to burst into tears!

I was OK the next day but the following day it came back.

After 3 weeks of this I was sure it had been flu. But all the tme I slept OK and had no fever. Took Echinacea and raw garlic which often made me feel a little better. (That combination even cured me of an adder bite once, and a rose thorn infection!)

But every day the symptoms came back.

I became exercise intolerant, alcohol intolerant, completely caffeine intolerant, weakness in my legs, wobbly feeling, nauseous sometimes, inner trembly feeling. (no history of depression or anxiety. And no history of headaches either)

At first it felt like flu, but there was never a fever, never a sore throat or any respiratory symptoms. But felt like the day you're really coming down with flu for sure, every single day. I guess that's called "malaise". Had to seriously rest. Couldn't do anything much.

So, the 3rd week with this same thing every day, I went to the doctor. He ran urine tests (4 altogether at different times of day), a complete blood analysis and said he'd check for everything incl. thyroid, and sign of any systemic infection, anaemia, vitamin deficiency....etc as well as all the usual things checked for organ function or any other imbalances.

He listened to my heart and took blood pressure. Both were normal.

The urine test was normal, & blood results came back all normal too.

He said he thought it had to be a virus, and recommended all the usual things one does for flu. They didn't help one bit.

By the 4th week I got GI symptoms. Nothing horrendous, but a very "uneasy belly". Couldn't eat properly for a few days, but managed something. (no history of tummy troubles either!)

That went.

5th week....Meanwhile the weary fatigue wouldn't go away at all, and neither would that slight nagging headache. Not a bad pain but enough to drag me down.

Bouts of nausea at random times -usually passed in an hour or so.

Still no fever -at any time of day. Kept feeling so very cold. Horribly cold. Sometimes would get hot flushes but mostly cold. Took temperature during these bouts but never up or dreadfully low either. Worst was 36.0 degrees.

Now it's the 9th week, and I still am getting these feelings but the main one is this debilitating fatigue -so unlike me. And weakness and some internal shakiness. I could hardly stand up in a queue when in a shop today. I had to lean on the counter. It felt like my legs were horribly tired.

Okay I know you can't be diagnosed with post viral fatigue until -is it 4 months? -have passed. So I'm on the 2nd month now, an have tried everything including Astragalus tea for the immune system. Nothing is making a blind bit of difference. Plus I do still keep bursting into tears.

This all is not like my normal self which I have been like or years and years. Seems like my life the way I knew it is over. Can't even get my firewood in for next winter and can't go for much of a walk.

Does it sound like Post viral syndrome? Can anyone advise?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

just curious as to what you hemoglobin and ferritin levels were on you blood work?
    • Posted

Well the report I heard about my blood panel which I asked to include "everything imaginable", and took much longer for results than usual....was that everything was completely normal.

My doctor is on alert for my hemoglobin because 6 years ago I went to him for nerve inflammation in my arm. The blood results then showed some large immature red blood cells. I had another test a month later and they were all okay again. So he said he'd check all that again.

• Posted

I recommend grabbing a copy of all your results since the start of your cfs symptoms. That way you can check for anything that was flagged by the labtechs that may have been brushed off by your doctor and will give you the chance to do some investigative work for yourself.
  • Posted

I haven't checked in here for ages. Anyway I thought I'd post an update.It's now July 10. This started on March 27. In the last few weeks I have been feeling much better. There have been a number of days when I have felt normal. But there have been days when I have felt a sort of "echo effect" of the original symptoms but much fainter.

I'm not sure at this point if it has been true CFS/ME or what. I was getting some post-exertional malaise a few weeks ago.

But now it seems I am no worse if I exercise.

I kept a food diary and temperature diary and nothing seems to be related to anything!

But for one exception (I think) I had been using salt with sodiumhexacyanoferrate. I bought that salt two or three days before I first became unwell.

I have no idea if it's connected, but about week 5 I suddenly became suspicious of that anti-caking agent -though I have never had any sensitivity to any food additive in my life before. So I bought grinder salt instead. Pure rock salt.

I started to slowly feel better from about then, with recurring symptoms.

And then gradually better and better though it took some time.

Okay last week I ran out of salt so used some of the old stuff to add to my potatoes while they boiled.

Hours later all the awful symptoms rushed back.

Woah!....did that show me something?

My doctor, in the 3rd week, was curious about whether I had some form of poisoning actually but neither of us could pin it down. And I hadn't thought of the salt then.

Since that incident last week I have been back on the "gradually getting better" curve.

I honestly don't know with proof, if this is a post viral syndrome akin to a milder dose of CFS or if it was chronic poisoning from the cyanide based food additive.

We live and learn. I never read labels before but I do now.

• Posted

These symptoms are exactly like mine, not only that but the progression is very similar to mine, and like you all my test results were fine...I was diagnosed with CFS a few weeks ago after suffering for nearly 9 months!

I'm so sorry you're going through this. The best thing you can do is try to avoid exertion as much as possible. If you start to feel better when you do less, it's very likely to be CFS. This illness forces you to slow down and be kinder to yourself, which is hard for many of us...but if you're lucky you can learn to value that experience, too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.