FEMALE ARTIFICIAL URINARY SPHINCTER

Posted , 2 users are following.

HI

I had my first Artificial Urinary Sphincter(AUS) implanted when I was 12 years old. I am female. There is very little knowledge (research) out there on female AUS. There is even less on children AUS. I had excruciating pain on the side of my AUS implanted for over 25 years. I had constant visits to hospital for pain relief. Once the AUS was removed, so too had the pain. The doctors never looked at the AUS as the cause. It affected the delivery of my child and the ability to function and exist.

I currently have a new one in its place. Although placed on the other side. I have little issues, apart from constant infections and some incontinence.

After some research, the AUS is not considered the gold star treatment and doctors need to be mindful of issues arising from AUS use in females and in particular - children.

I also believe mine was left in much longer than expected.

If you have experiences regarding female AUS implantations, Please post.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.