Female Cystoscopy ~ DON'T worry!!!!!

Posted , 99 users are following.

I had a Cystoscopy yesterday afternoon. I've known for about a month that I would have to have one and I have been worried sick about it. Found some awful posts on the net about it, and then fortunately found many reassuring posts on this forum! Trust me that when the ladies on here say "Don't worry"....DON'T! I've been so anxious, that I've lost sleep and my appetite over it. I was in and out of Theatre in 7 minutes!  I asked my husband to time it as I knew I wanted to do a review on here to help others, as it has been this forum that got me through it yesterday! 

You are in the position for a smear test for the procedure. Knees bent and apart and feet flat and together on the couch. So no stirrups (which I was glad about, as I hate that restriction, and I had expected that!) First they swab the area down, then insert the local anaesthetic. That just feels slightly cold, but not uncomfortable or painful. Then the camera is inserted, and again, that didnt hurt either. The nurse holding my hand told me it was in and then let me watch on the monitor. Whilst the camera is in, the surgeon fills your bladder with water so that he can see it all clearly. Within a couple of minutes, it's all done! I honestly wouldn't even say it was uncomfortable. You are aware something is going on, but certainly no pain. And if the surgeon told me he was going to do another Cystoscopy on me, I wouldnt lose a moments sleep over it!  I was given a cup of tea after the procedure, and sat and rested for a while, and once I had passed urine the nurses discharged me from the ward. I've been passing urine normally and it hasn't even stung, so I guess Ive been lucky. I had no pain until a couple of hours after the procedure, when I guess my anaesthetic had worn off. It was just like Period Pain. I took a couple of Paracetamol and it eased off, and today I am fine. 

So trust my post here! I am the biggest softy ever! And if I can do this you can too. Don't lose sleep over it, it's just not worth it! Ignore the horror stories you might come across on the net. It's easier and much less uncomfortable than a smear test! I am happy to help anyone I can over this procedure. If I've missed anything out and you have a question, just post on here and I will get back to you ASAP. Jackie 

21 likes, 377 replies

377 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Im not trying to freak my self out, it just happens. Ive been looking all over the internet for symtoms. Ive been dealing with c.f. request urination. Ive been dealing with it all summer. I only just turned 16 so life is pretty hard at this time. Im afraid therewwon't be a solution to my problem, they've done many tests and anibiotics.I only have some blood in my urine. Microscopic blood. I have to push amd strain to pee, and my urethra is in constant pain almost all the time. I seem fine when i go pee though. And I can only wait less than an hour before I have to go again and I won't go that much! Im loosing sleep, and im beginning to have all these phobias of how im sick with something disastrous. My doctor said that I might have something called Bladder Pain Syndrome. And I dont want it to be that becuase they say it affects you for life. But I am going to try and be strong during the cynically because I know that it may lead to some kind of answer, and I will keep your advice in mind. IM constantly praying. If any of you would, I would really like some prayer for me. I need to stay strong! Despite what im going through!
    • Posted

I will (as I am sure most of us will!) be happy to pray for you, Tess!  I will add you to my list!  Your faith will sustain you...it is good that you rely on Him for He will listen to your needs and help you!!  You sound like a very strong young woman!  Please let us know how you progress!

May God bless you and keep you safe,

Patty

• Posted

I have to say what a blessing this site has been.

I was scheduled for a cystoscopy a month ago and was terrified until I read all of your experiences.

Please let me share mine:

I went into the procedure room, signed my consent 

, was asked to disrobe from the waist down, sit down on a table/ chair device, I was covered, and the nurse cleaned the area with a betadine solution, place some numbing agent in the urethra, and then covered me again exposing only the area to be worked on.

When I went in for my initial consult I asked him how long the test would take, he said 30 seconds.  I told him, Doc, I'm gonna time you! LOL (I'm such a coward!)

So when he walked in the room this morning I said, your nurse said this was

gonna take 3 minutes...he looked at her and said 'no way!  Time me!'

I'm telling you, maybe 1 minute, barely felt it go in and they had to tell me it was out!!

I am the biggest baby in the world and trust me ladies, this is no big deal!  By the way, the reason I had this done was frequent UTI's and trace blood in urine.  He gave me a clean bill of health and all is well.

i know it's easier said than done, but please don't worry...it's a breeze!

• Posted

So glad we've all been of help Kathy! And thank you for posting such another positive experience for everyone! Glad to hear all is well for you. Jackie 😊
  • Posted

Hi Jackie I had this done on Friday and I would like to thank you, as I kept thinking what you said to me and it wasn't to bad.  I was in and out in 5 mins had a bit of stomach ache that night took a couple of tablets that night and all ok next morning so a big thank you 

Rachel xx

• Posted

Aww that's great Rachel. I had a slight stomach ache in the evening too and took a couple of Paracetamol. I was fine the following morning when I woke up. Glad all went well for you. I stressed myself so much over this, and for nothing! It's really not as bad as it sounds. X
  • Posted

If people read what you put it should put lots of people at ease many thanks again xx
  • Posted

Hi!  I am scheduled for a cystoscope in six weeks, and I am so scared that I am thinking of canceling.  My male cousin recently had one and he scared me with the details.  He said he would never have that test again unless it was under anesthesia.  My test will be in the Dr's office with a numbing agent.  Is this test more painful for a man than a woman?

Jackie, your words are easing my worries some.

Susan

• Posted

Susan, please don't cancel your appointment. You will end up worrying more about your health if you do. I've said it before, but I'll say it again.....I am the biggest baby ever. I had myself in knots before my procedure. I was not sleeping, crying and panicking about it, and all for nothing!!!!!! Try to push it out of your mind Susan. If you've ever had a smear test......it's not as uncomfortable than that. I never even felt the scope go in! It was a very quick and totally painless procedure for me. I can only hazard a guess that it probably might be more uncomfortable for a man. (((HUGS))) Jackie x feel free to PM me if you need to Susan. 
    • Posted

No worries, Susan!!  Please know that Jackie and I speak the  truth!!  We are here for a reason and that is to help all who are having a cystoscopy to not be fearful of this procedure!  Here in the U.S. And with the doc I had, he put me in "lala land" right after I was positioned for the scope.  I didn't remember anything and was just a little sore the rest of the day when I peed after the drugs wore off.  ASK YOUR DOCTOR QUESTIONS!!   See what kinds of med(s) he is going to use and then put into your mind that they are going to make you pain-free when you have it done....you will be fine, trust me and Jackie!!  You are worrying for nothing...please write back to us and tell us your experience so that others will be encouraged to not be fearful, too 😀

blessings to you Susan in all that you do!

Patty

• Posted

I know this is an old discussion but, thank you so much for posting. I go in next month and I have been freaking out. So you have helped calm my nerves.
  • Posted

Hi Jackie

Have just read your post and feel somewhat reassured. I had surgery on 15 December as I had acute pyronephritus. The surgery was successful - part of my kidney was removed and the blockages in my uretera was corrected by inserting a couple of stents. I received the letter on Christmas Eve informing me that I have been booked in for a cystoscopy on 6 Feb to remove stents. I looked this up on the internet and OMG I am terrified! The thought of what they are going to do fills me with dread. Not least how embarrasing to have to subject yourself to this procdure. Any reassurance gratefully received.

• Posted

I was told I needed one and the Dr told me it was to be uncomfortable and painless. I was nervous and slightly panicked. The nurses were so polite and reassuring when I got there. But when it came to put the tube in, I cried. It reminded me of a bad past and being forced to do things. I calmed down and they continued (embarrassed to the extreme) For me, being nervous and not being able to relax, it was quite painful. It hurt for me. I'm not sure why. Maybe they were too rough or maybe it's because I was so stiff and rigid. I regret 100 percent doing it. It wasn't worth the pain, embarrassment, and uncomfortable situation. I did bleed some after it. I've heard many say it's painless and worse than it is. But mine hurt and I'm not sure if I'm being a baby or they were just not so good with doing these things. I was also having odd smells from down there and may have had an infection b4 hand. But I was so nervous I just wanted it over with and didn't mention it. It's the 2nd day and my bladder just feels, off. It doesn't hurt to pee anymore but it just feels uncomfortable. The procedure (in my case)didn't tell me anymore than I l ready knew.
  • Posted

You have no clue how happy I am to have found your post. I will be having my done tomorrow afternoon, and I am super scared.
    • Posted

That's great Missclyde. I remember how relieved I was when I found positive posts about the procedure. You'll be absolutely fine, so don't waste any time getting into a complete panic like I did! I'm sure all will go well. Please come back tomorrow evening and let us know how you got on. X
    • Posted

Am having mine Tuesday next week am scared too hope you got on ok 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.