Female Cystoscopy ~ DON'T worry!!!!!

Posted , 99 users are following.

I had a Cystoscopy yesterday afternoon. I've known for about a month that I would have to have one and I have been worried sick about it. Found some awful posts on the net about it, and then fortunately found many reassuring posts on this forum! Trust me that when the ladies on here say "Don't worry"....DON'T! I've been so anxious, that I've lost sleep and my appetite over it. I was in and out of Theatre in 7 minutes!  I asked my husband to time it as I knew I wanted to do a review on here to help others, as it has been this forum that got me through it yesterday! 

You are in the position for a smear test for the procedure. Knees bent and apart and feet flat and together on the couch. So no stirrups (which I was glad about, as I hate that restriction, and I had expected that!) First they swab the area down, then insert the local anaesthetic. That just feels slightly cold, but not uncomfortable or painful. Then the camera is inserted, and again, that didnt hurt either. The nurse holding my hand told me it was in and then let me watch on the monitor. Whilst the camera is in, the surgeon fills your bladder with water so that he can see it all clearly. Within a couple of minutes, it's all done! I honestly wouldn't even say it was uncomfortable. You are aware something is going on, but certainly no pain. And if the surgeon told me he was going to do another Cystoscopy on me, I wouldnt lose a moments sleep over it!  I was given a cup of tea after the procedure, and sat and rested for a while, and once I had passed urine the nurses discharged me from the ward. I've been passing urine normally and it hasn't even stung, so I guess Ive been lucky. I had no pain until a couple of hours after the procedure, when I guess my anaesthetic had worn off. It was just like Period Pain. I took a couple of Paracetamol and it eased off, and today I am fine. 

So trust my post here! I am the biggest softy ever! And if I can do this you can too. Don't lose sleep over it, it's just not worth it! Ignore the horror stories you might come across on the net. It's easier and much less uncomfortable than a smear test! I am happy to help anyone I can over this procedure. If I've missed anything out and you have a question, just post on here and I will get back to you ASAP. Jackie 

21 likes, 377 replies

377 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Ok, I am getting so nervous again.  I just read a post about it not being pain free and now, my head is spinning with terrible thoughts.  I'll just be glad when it is over.

?Mine will be done in the dr.'s office w/ numbing gel.  I've thought about calling his nurse and letting her know my anxiety level is off the charts.  I get migraines and have held off taking Excedrin f/ Migraines because I'm not sure if it will make whatever I have flare up again. 

• Posted

My cystoscopy is this friday, and I am like you, but it is probably worse in our heads. Stop reading the internet! That's what I have done.

• Posted

I have just spoken to a friend she has assured me it's fine she said the local anaesthetic just feels cold and you don't feel a thing she said it was over and done with in no time so I think the thought is worse than the deed 

• Posted

I agree with you about it being worse in our heads. Your mind can start imagining all sorts of things.  I've had 2 frozen shoulders and feared getting the steroid shot from what I read.  I finally gave in and got one.  I hardly felt a thing!  No pain and no soreness the next day.  My orthopedic dr. couldn't believe it when I asked f/ one in the other arm!  Thank you for your reply and I'll be thinking of you Friday.  Be sure to let us know how it went. 

• Posted

Does the procedure last about five minutes from the numbing to finish or after the numbing has taken place?  As you can see, this is still on my mind!!!!! 
    • Posted

Hi good morning according to the info I received from the hospital the whole procedure only takes a few minutes and that includes putting the anaesthetic gel on so 5 minutes all in all I think 
  • Posted

I 'm feeling very uncomfortable about having this procedure done in the doctors office with no anasthetic other than the local one you discribed. I'm 70 years old and my utereus was removed when I was 29.....hence no periods. Just had the bladder sonogram done and I'm thinking maybe I should wait until I hear what the results are.I'm having alot of bladder infections and I'm fearing bacteria that could add to my problems. These all sound like excuses and they probably are. I'm embarrassed and just don't want to put myself in this setting.

• Posted

I felt a little embarrassed at first Donna, but remember theses Dr's and nurses are doing this procedure day in day out. There was one nurse who sat with me the whole way through and held my hand. And they do cover you with a sheet as much as possible. I'm sure it'll all be worth it in the end for you. Just to get an answer for your constant infections. 

• Posted

I am also having a sonogram and cystoscopy next Thursday.  Like you, I hope the dr. looks at the sonogram before doing the cystoscopy.  However, I don't want anything to be missed by not doing it.  I just don't want to do it!!!!  I realize it is to help me and if it weren't done, I'd probably worry something was there.  This is one of those situations you would rather not be in but realize it is for the best.  I'm sounding brave, but I am so scared.  I'll be having the local, too.  The whole ordeal just freaks me out!  I sure am glad I found this site.  Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing this. I'm to have my test on Weds and I will report my experience. I too am so glad for this site. I was very close to canceling my app't. I need to get this done .

• Posted

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow holding good thoughts.  I have come so close to either cancelling or rescheduling.  Doing that would only make the agony of waiting worse.  We can do this!  Best wishes.

• Posted

Just back from my procedure afew hour ago. I'm sore as I was told I would be. I had no numbing gel . I was informed while on the table "we don't do that as it only takes afew minutes" Glad they didn't tell me before hand as I definetly would have canceled. It felt like a pap smear that lasts longer,not painful, just pressure. I would of liked alittle numbing but honestly it wasn't needed. To anyone who is afraid of the procedure..don't be. It's the doctors staff and the doctor who make the experience a bearable oneor not. Ask questions before hand. They gave me a antibiotic for one day ...just in case???? Thank you all for sharing your experience. It helped alot knowing I wasn't out there alone. 

• Posted

My procedure is now over!  You were so right about it being similar to a pap smear.  Nothing unbearable or teeth clenching!  The only discomfort (if you want to call it that) was the moving around of the camera.  It didn’t hurt just gave a “sore-like” feeling.  When it was removed, I felt no  pain.  The first few times of going to the bathroom burned, but now it is fine.  I have drank water and cranberry juice.  I was given one Cipro and 2 packages of Uribel.  Every once in awhile I feel a little twinge in that area but nothing bad.  My ultrasound was good along with that once dreaded cystoscopy.  I am thankful for the good news and that it is over!  Thank you for sharing to ease my mind.  It does help knowing you are not alone and others understand the anxiety
  • Posted

Hi there

Just back from having the procedure. I am going to be honest with my review as I don't want to give false impressions.  I am sore now but they told me I would be sore, and have cystitis/UTI symptoms for the first 24hours. Was very nervous, got there early, had to give a sample, answer questions, sign consent form and then got into gown. Positioned like a smear test, no dignity as people kept coming in and out of the room!,  then lubricant was used, not numbing gel! Lubricant was injected into my urethra and then camera was inserted which was uncomfortable but I was very tense and not helping, only took seconds and it was in the bladder. About 3 or 4 minutes inside the bladder with the doctor taking great pleasure in pointing out all the different features to me and then out. Not sore coming out.

All in all took about 10 mins, the whole lot. I have inflammation in my bladder and have now to have my scan then see the dr in clinic. 

It's not a nice experience but it's not painful, until afterwards, right now I feel like I have a full blown UTI, but I expected that. Have to drink like a fish for 3 days. All in all it is not worth the worry, but we all worry. Not a great experience but worth having done.

Good luck to you both going for it.

• Posted

Hi Anne glad you got on ok and hope your uti clears up quickly.Having mine done Tuesday and the scan on the same day so will report how I felt on with both afterwards 
    • Posted

I hope all went well with your tests.  Mine are both Thursday.  I wish it was over!!!!  The anxiety of waiting is horrible. 
    • Posted

Hi there yes went for my tests yesterday had the scan first which was fine have had them before when pregnant and then came the dreaded Cytoscopy I was called in and cried all over the nurse and the doctor they were great and very used to nervous patients I was the second nervous wreck of the day ! The whole procedure was absolutely nothing to worry about and over so quickly it really was fine it felt a bit weird to have a pee afterwards as the cold stuff they use came out and it feels as if you have no control over it a bit like when your waters break when you have a baby although not as much liquid. First couple of times I had a pee it stung a bit but not as bad as a uti I was told by the nurses to drink loads of water to flush it out which I did and it worked today less than 24 hours afterwards no ill effects at all. On the way back I did treat myself to a big sticky cake high in calories  though as a reward . No amount of reassurance from anyone will take away how you feel I know but it is ok no worse than a smear test you will be fine just tell them you are nervous they are used to it . The reason they do the Cytoscopy as well as the scan is it gives them a better view of the bladder than the scan I asked thinking I could get away without having it done. Best of luck but it will be over and done with before you know it and then go and treat yourself to something nice x
    • Posted

Thank you so very much for taking the time to let me know how your test went.  I am so happy for you that it wasn't bad and was over quickly.  I am also glad to hear that three are no bad effects the day after.   I like the idea of treating myself afterwards!  Thank you for reassuring me and giving me an idea of what to expect.  x

• Posted

Good glad it helped let me know how you get on x
    • Posted

My procedure is now over!  You were so right about it not being worse than a pap smear.  Nothing unbearable or teeth clenching!  The only discomfort (if you want to call it that) was the moving around of the camera.  It didn’t hurt just gave a “sore-like” feeling.  When it was removed, I felt no  pain.  The first few times of going to the bathroom burned, but now it is fine.  I have drank water and cranberry juice.  I was given one Cipro and 2 packages of Uribel.  Every once in awhile I feel a little twinge in that area but nothing bad.  My ultrasound was good along with that once dreaded cystoscopy!  I am thankful for the good news and that it is over!  Thank you for sharing to ease my mind.  It does help knowing you are not alone and others understand the anxiety.​  By the way, I treated myself to Mexican Food! 
    • Posted

Well done glad it's all over and all clear but also that you treated yourself ??Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.