Female Severe Abdominal Pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

About 2 years ago, my 19 year old girlfriend began suffering severe abdominal pain. It would come and go every week or so, and last anywhere between 10 - 30 minutes. She's been the doctors numerous times and had tests, endoscopies, etc performed. They still can't figure out what the problem is and ended up dismissing her. The pain went away for about a year, but has recently begun to come back (less frequent than previously however).

I'm a Biomedical Science student, with some basic medicine knowledge/experience, and I can't think of anything, based on what professionals have said.

I'm starting to seriously worry about her now, as the pain is so severe it puts her to tears, and doctors can't figure out what the problem is, and simply give up with her.

Any information would be much appreciated!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Another note: she was diagnosed with Raynaud's disease when she was younger
    • Posted

Well the obvious possible answer is that she's got Raynaud's in her Abdomen, she's suffering transient ischaemic events neutral
    • Posted

Hmm, if its obvious how come the doctor couldn't pick it up? rolleyes
    • Posted

Also- do TIA's even occur in the lower body? It's due to blocked vessels that supplies the brain.
    • Posted

Look if someone came to me saying I exhibit Raynaud's phenomenon and my Abdomen is randomly in agony and they can't find anything I'd say oh you have Vascular Disease, go and have a CT Abdominal Angiogram to confirm cheesygrin
    • Posted

Transient ischaemic "events" are TIA's?
    • Posted

Someone came to you? Are you a doctor?
    • Posted

Here's what Google says :

Transient = "lasting only for a short time; impermanent."

Ischaemic = "an inadequate blood supply to an organ or part of the body, ..."

Event = "a thing that happens or takes place, ..."

• Posted

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was actually asking if you were a doctor. But thanks for your help, even if it was delivered patronisingly sarcastic.
    • Posted

No of course you weren't cheesygrin There are no Doctors here (hence the place being called patient.info). Sorry you feel that way about my replies sad

As far as I can see my replies / suggestions were sensible given the impression you gave of your partners condition and the lack of progress in finding a diagnosis despite the numerous tests...

But then again I'm bound to say that aren't I lol

Anyway I see (from your post below) something that can be blamed has been found. I hope this brings an end to your partners problems neutral

• Posted

Hi ash, I too suffered with severe stomach cramps and diarrhea for over 4 years, I would get up in the morning and have to dash to loo about 5-6 times then I would be ok for rest of day, sometimes I would eat something and within 20 mins bang stomach cramps and dash to loo. I had loads of tests done all came back fine, I began to think it must be something I am eating and drinking so for over a year I started to notice after eating certain foods it triggered stomach cramps but it was a wide range of foods and usually high in salicylates, after about another 6 months I thought long and hard about what I had changed in my diet when it all started and it was about the time I wanted to improve my diet and I had changed to olive oil for cooking. I cut that out of my diet immediately not holding out much hope and hey presto no more stomach cramps and dashing to loo and I am able to eat and drink anything I want the olive oil must have been reacting with other stuff causing me to not realise what the culprit was. My point is if all tests are coming back fine it has to be something in her diet. Good luck x
    • Posted

That's a possibility, thank you for your help x
  • Posted

Update: it's been confirmed that she is suffering from peptic ulcers, and has been prescribed Omeprazole to reduce acid secretion.

When she first displayed her symptoms, peptic ulcers were what I initially thought becayse she used to pop painkillers like they were sweets, however her first endoscopy didn't confirm this. Until her second today.

A predisposing symptom for peptic ulcers: severe abdominal pain that comes and goes, mainly when the person is hungry. Stress is also a contributing factor.

Before we both moved away to university, she used to work shifts and live off 2 peices of toast a day (she was very tired and stressed with work), and this was when her symptoms began. Since moving to uni, she eats properly and doesnt go to work, this is when her symptoms stopped for a year. And since moving back home for summer, she has begun going to work again, and coincedently her symptoms have come back, although milder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.