Femur pain in metal plate location

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a metal plate and screws implanted 17 months ago after breaking my femur. I do still get some pain but it's manageable. I did some side leg exercises yesterday and this morning I have sharp pain along the side of the leg where the plate is. I assume it's because of the exercises and hope it will subside after resting today. Has anyone else had a similar issue.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi there!

i fractured my femoral bone almost 20 months ago but i had IM nail with screws. i started gym like three months ago and at the beginning i also had pain, mostly at the place where the fracture occurred. I also get pain when i walk long period of time and when its extremely cold, mostly during the winter.

Try to notice when does the pain is more intense, is it provoked by any physical activity or it just appears at any time?

In my opinion i wouldn't worry alot as the broken bone will never be the same, but if the pain is somehow troubling you and affects your daily activities then there is no harm in booking a follow up with your physician and make an xray.

All the best!

• Posted

Thanks. It did feel a bit better yesterday but this morning is stiff around the bend in my knee which is pretty normal for me. I suppose it is a constant reminder of the surgery and implants. I had a PKR 6 weeks ago on the other leg so it has been a trying time again and different exercises for both legs are possibly making it a bit harder.

• Posted

I compound fractured my right femur one year ago today. Plate in knee and hip with round bar

threw femur. I am 62 years old and worked hard to get back on golf course and played first round

4 months and 17 days after accident. And with min insurance did my own rehab on treadmill and

stationary bike any side to side work is still hard to do not sure why but when I over did it my knee

and hip would hurt for a few days. I could not lift my foot off the bed for 75 days and could not make

the bike go around for 110 days, but was on tread mill going slow after 90 days. I would work out every

3 days and still do, BUT SIDE TO SIDE work out I do not do. And only can play 18 holes of golf with a

cart and then have to rest the next day and when I golf I do not hit the gym for 3 days and only play golf

about 3 times a month and have lost over 30 yards off the tee, was a 10 handicap now 14. A SUV left a

stop sign and I hit it in the drivers door at about 40 mph totally his fault.i Just workmage

• Posted

Sorry oh I was on a Harley Davidson motorcycle and pics is where femur came threw my

thigh about 7 inches above knee. I was on computer a lot reading about others and found

out everyone is different so work as hard as you can but do not over do it. Your body will

let you know if you do. I wish you the best.

BJM

• Posted

wow that was a bad one! good for you in getting back to fitness. I think the side exercise agrivated the plate and screws so I will avoid these types of workouts in future. They say it can be a couple of years for full recovery so I just have to go easy. The muscle waste in my glutes etc is obvious so I try to get some strength in them to help my knees. Thanks for your good wishes, same back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.