Fentanyl 12mg

Posted , 9 users are following.

Please could anyone help on this please, I have been using Butrans 10mg for back and shoulder pain for the last 5 months and due to very bad itching and soreness of this med the doctor has changed my med to fentanyl 12mg. Is there a huge difference with fentanyl than butrans. The new patch will be on the skin for 3 days as opposed to 7 days with the butrans. I have read so many mixed reviews about fentynal and i'm going to be on the lowest dose but also very scared. I'm due to start the new patch on Saturday. Your earliest reply would be most appreciated, Thank you in advance Karen x

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen, my wife (78) had been taking Co-Hydramol for months and months but with very little respite from her back and hip pain.  This last Tuesday (26th Aug.) her Doc suggested she should try a Fentanyl Patch 12mg.its only been on for 1 day, but!  She was actually  virtually pain free, she also needs to change her 'patch' on Saturday.  She is hoping she has turned the corner with regards to her pain. We wish you luck with your pain. Regards John.
    • Posted

jojomd42!  Great News that we are three on here who will be putting on our patches today! DO be sure it goes on unsoaped skin as it must not go on skin that has any film or cream on it. I am so glad your wife is having some pain-free time like me. I was originally on tramadol which did not suit me at all. I am happy with Fentanyl 12mg and that your wife is feeling the effects too.  Best to you both.
  • Posted

Hi Karen. I started FENTANYL 12mg last week. I have had NO side effects and my only problem is opening the sachet to get to the patch! It says not to cut it and then to cut it just below the arrow! I just spent an hour peeling it off! Useless effort and I shall now continue to cut it open. Otherwise if you follow the directions contained in the Note for Patients, you should have NO problems. Do not be afraid to use it! I drive and still enjoy the odd vodka every evening at home. Don't be put off by tales of side effects. Those are often in the mind. The one thing to remember is to always stick this tiny patch to the upper body! I was putting it on my knee where I have the pain! Wrong! It must be placed on washed (no soap!) skin on upper arm, chest or on your back. Press down for a few seconds. NO hair on the skin and washed thoroughly with warm wated and dried thoroughly. Go ahead! The position of the patch is VERY important as this places it nearer to the brain when a signal is sent that you have pain and the morphine then reacts to alleviate it. I am putting on my third patch today so will think of you doing the same thing!  Good luck. Enjoy your Fentanyl.
  • Posted

Karen, my wife has  been using the Fentanyl 12mg. Patch for about 24 days (she has used her 9th. patch) today.She changes her patch every 3rd day. No ill effects up to now (fingers Xed) John.
    • Posted

jojomd42.  I can second that comment. I have now been on the 12mg patch for 12 days using a new patch every 72 hours (3 days). I have no adverse reactions whatsoever. I believe if it is going to create any severe reactions, it would have already done so. I just find it difficult to release the patch from the protective plastic. Have you found out how to best do this?  Karen and I are lucky this works for us as we are all different. Best to you both.
  • Posted

I am finding the easiest way of removing the patch from its pouch is Amy's follows - with the pouch facing you,at the top right corner there's a 'cut', holding the pouch in your left hand,tear open the right side of the pouch,then stretch open the pouch,then with a pair of tweezers,gently remove the patch from its pouch.                                         

Then remove either of the patch backing,then hold on to the patch using the tweezers,then remove the other backing,and then still using the tweezers gently apply the patch onto the chosen area of the upper arm or upper body.

• Posted

Fentanyl is a generic name for slow release morphine which is where HEROIN comes from.... I'm on it myself, no wonder you are feeling no pain - just wait until they make you stop, you will feel worse than you ever have in your whole life, plenty of people end up on street corners buying the real thing.
    • Posted

timslide  Interesting your comment on Fentanyl. I believe it is morphine or opium based.  I started it last week and frankly have found little difference on my bone-on-bone pain. However, since I have been having stem cell treatment that was not in a rush to work.... I asked for Fentanyl patches so as to avoid heroin going through my digestive system. My pain at times is quite unbearable altho' I do my best to keep a smile on my face. NOBODY knows your pain except you. I have a high pain threshold but bone-on-bone takes the breath away at times. I had been on Tramadol, drops mainly but one low dose worked on me for over 10 hours leaving me in a near stupor when the next dose was due. Stem cell treatment can take over a year. The injections are very painful. However I am the sort of person who won't give in to pain when it becomes unbearable and when it threatens to change my personality towards others. That's why I asked for Fentanyl. Of course 12mg is nowhere near sufficient to deaden this pain. But I am wary of becoming addicted. Having suffered dreadful pain, it is a godsend to have the little relief from it I get from Fentanyl 12mg. I find it ludicrous that cannabis can be found on the streets when someone like me in such pain, cannot have it prescribed. Something wrong somewhere.
  • Posted

Karen pls forgive me if I'm repeating myself. My wife started using 12mg.Fentanyl patch on the 26thAugust 2014. Tomorrow Tuesday 23rd.Sept. She will be applying her 10th. Patch,and has'nt suffered any "side effects" up to date. Her pain is still there,but,not as intense.  Are you ok in getting the patch out of the pouch ?  My way of opening it is as follows-- On the top right hand corner of the pouch is a slit, tear this off away from the main pouch, then I use a pair of tweezers to remove the patch from the pouch,it's also easier using the tweezers to apply the patch.  I hope Karen,that this has helped to assure you in any way ?  Kindest regards. John.
    • Posted

longmasterjohn.  I would write identically to what you comment about Karen your wife. I am on my second box of Fentanyl 12mg and I too find no side effects whatsoever. I also agree the pain is still there but at a much lower intensity. The medication in the UK obviously has a different outlook to that on the continent. There is no slit at the corner of what we have here. So I snip a corner with scissors and manage then to open like a book. However even with tweezers its a pain to get to the patch without touching it. Is Karen using the SANDOZ product or another one? I began using it on 10 Sept so not far off from Karen. It is most interesting we are on a par with this drug and its good to be in touch about it. I find counting the 72 hours is about right but yesterday inadvertently went 75 and knew it later on!  This morning I am ok again but Fentanyl 12mg does work. Best wishes to you both.
  • Posted

My wife began her Fentanyl treatment with a 12mg patch,she has been on this dose since late August,and has had no side effects so far.Last Thursday the 2nd. Her Doc. increased her dose to 25mg. Still changing it every 3rd day. OK up to now. Will keep you informed if you wish ?  Regards. John
  • Posted

Karen I've been on fentanyl and my life is he'll yes it took the pain away but try get off it absolute hell I'm.still on it cos its that bad the withdrawal I'm actually frightened to stop having it x
  • Posted

Hi All. I've just been prescribed fentanyl 100mg patches, to treat my chronic pain problem. Prior to using these patches, I was prescribed 90mg Zomorph, but I found that I wasn't sticking to the right dose & started to over use, so I went to see my GP who is the absolute best & together, we agreed to try these patches, which seem to work very efficiently & I find myself pain-free for longer periods, which is such a relief. I've tried all other pain killers, but unfortunately, only the opioids give me the relief from this damn pain which I'm in 24/7. Convincing other Drs that I am genuinely in excruciating pain, has been a total nightmare, with some practices, ending up treating me as an addict, instead of a chronic pain sufferer. Those same practices even told me, that I was a drain on their budget, because the meds were so expensive. I couldn't believe what they were telling me. I've worked all my life & have never, ever been jobless, yet the very people, who I pleaded with for help, decided to treat me as a nuisance, so I left the practice & joined another, only to encounter the same, budgetary problem! I couldn't believe it, so I left the practice & joined the one I am with now & I have found a GP who is prepared to listen to me & who has gone out of his way to help me, resulting in the prescribing of these patches. Obviously, this is just a temporary measure, until my Consultant at the local hospital, can get me in to perform an operation, that will give me a more permanent & opioid free result, which Ian looking forward to. I have been in pain for 53 years & that's long enough to suffer. I advise those who have been prescribed Fentanyl patches, to welcome the relief that they give & not to worry about any side effects or addiction. If you are in the right practice, then your GP will be looking after you. If not, move to another one.simple as. Good luck all.
  • Posted

Hi Karen

I have just started to use these patches, I have terminal bowel cancer in the liver, I have not been able to take any form of pain killers, not even paracetamol however my pain in the liver was so bad last week that I reluctantly tried one of these patches, I am due to put my thered patch on in about five minuts, They are just starting to work which is a relefe, the only side effect I seem to have at the moment is I have just felt a bit sick and a bit sleepy so I hope this keeps on because this time last week the pain was so bad it just made me cry, and I was as scared as you are the good thing is that you can take the patch off if you have problems, one thing I haven done is to uae any breakthrough pain killers these might be slow to start off with but I would rather have that than use others as well, I hope this helps you

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service .

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.