Fentanyl advice...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been on the 100 patch for about two years...I'm prescribed to change patch every 36 hrs but lately I've found myself needing to change it sooner then time...I believe I've built up such a high tolerance that sometimes I feel as if I'm withdrawaling while wearing patch and we'll before time to change....Been thinking of going to 150 and exstending it to 48 Hrs rather than the 100 @ 36 hrs. Any suggestions would be much appreciated...thx Chris

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris.....have you lost weight recently or are you lean and muscular? If so, the patch performs differently for thin, muscular people than it does for people who are a wee bit "fluffy"wink The standard U.S. protocol is 72hrs. NOT 36 or 48....your doctor will soon find himself in hot water and feeling the unwanted attention of the DEA should he continue to prescribe this way. The patches are designed to last 72hrs., but slight variances will occur due to body composition. It would be better for you and WAY better for your doctor to go up in the dose and leave them on for 3 days. Because the patch has to build up in your system and is stored in your fat cells, a higher dose will take a little longer to dissipate --- hence, it's ALSO the reason thinner people often feel the patch wearing off sooner than chubbier folks. Due to high profile cases like Prince and Tom Petty, it is going to get more difficult to obtain this medication--- the sooner you find a solution, the better off you'll be. The pharmacists, DEA, FDA, etc. will all be recommending and then setting new criteria for doctors and their patients in order to justify a prescription for that medicine. I'm sure that anything less than 72hrs. will eventually be strictly prohibited as will certain conditions that they feel don't meet the standard for pain and application of Fentanyl. I hope this helps you and that you will find an answer soon! Mj

• Posted

I agree with mip123! 

I began tapering almost one year ago. Withdrawals lasted a few weeks but I do feel better. The pain is still present, muscule relaxers help. There is hope! 

• Posted

Well for me the patches have never lasted 72 hrs...I wish I would have never started taking them... Insurance want even pay for 10 -100's anymore. Paying for 20 outta pocket is expensive...I'm definitely going to go to 150 and go to 48 hrs.....I'm not skinny by any means, about average for my height..I sent my doctor next month and defentley gonna make some changes. Just don't understand why at 24 to 26 hrs I'm already ready feeling withdrawals...

• Posted

I understand....some people just hypermetabolize medication. All I'm saying is that the 36-48hr option will not be available to you forever and it would be better to go up in dose for a longer "wear time", than changing a lower dose more frequently. If you think that insurance is balking now, wait until the new criteria is established. I'm sure, once you go up, you'll feel better, longer. I'm just suggesting you find a different solution besides changing more frequently than recommended protocol.

• Posted

I Definitely agree with you. I go to doctor on the 9th, like I said in earlier post I'm on the 100 every 36, so gonna go to 150 every 48hrs for maybe 90 days. Then next maybe go to 175 or 200 every 72 hrs. . I get 20 100's a month but I think going from 100 to 200 is to much..does that sound like a god plan to you? I want to have a good safe smart plan when I see my doctor. He is a great doctor and I've been seeing him for 20 plus years so I know he wants what's best for me. I have new insurance with United Health Care and they have denied 20, then 15 and now im in a appeal process to just get them to cover 10 a month.. Insurance doesn't want to lay for them at all anymore but I'm preparing to lay outta pocket ...I appreciate your input very much, I just want to feel better and control my pain..thx again Chris

• Posted

Hello Chris 

It’s your liver eating up the drug faster. It’s what happens when you’ve been on pain drugs for awhile. Your body metabolizes it faster as time goes by. 

I had the same thing when I was on Fentanyl for 15 years at 75-200mcg. 

Changed patch every 48 hrs, I noticed about 6 hours before I changed the patch, I would start to feel the withdrawal. I’m off Fentanyl for 2 years now. Feel better even though more pain. 

Hope this helps. smile

Karen 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.