Fentanyl and a 78 year old

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband  has had his patch increased to 25 mg with liquid morphine for breakthrough pain. 

Is it usual for this to be perscribed for oesteoarthritus? Does it mean he will have to be on the patch forever? I have asked about a steroid injection but apparently this is not possible.

To be fair the GP has worked through other options including Tramadol so I guess if it improves his 'quality of life' it will be ok?

I just wondered what side affects other elderly people had being on the patches long term? We are still struggling with the constipation but getting him to take the Cosmocol is not easy.

I guess the possible side affects do worry me but then this has tobe weighted against quality of life?  

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I believe 25 mcg is a pretty low dose. For Me at 54 the choice being not enjoying life and being in pain all the time..I choose to live. I do watch how much I take. I don't know how severe your Husbands condition is but it's Everybody own choice. You don't sound like You want to watch Him in pain all the time. Good luck!  Sherri

• Posted

I have osteoarthritis in my knees and I get Hyalgan shots that helps so much..  I also use Volteren which is a anti-inflammatory gel ..  I use Celebrex (anti-inflammatory)  at times, if I am having an extra bad day.   I have taken Tramadol, however, since I am on a fentanyl patch for my neck, I feel that I'd rather not add more pain killers.  I just try to just use anti-inflammatories and exercise.. Swimming is something that my doctor has recommended for me..  A lack of movement can accelerate the degenerative process!  Weight loss will also help.. (I have lost over 100 pounds!!)

As far as 25 Fentanyl .. That is a pretty low dosage. _(I am on 75)..  You can always get a second opinion on what he can take or do to relieve his pain.   As far as side effects.. I am 55 and find I don't notice any side effects at all.. My doctor would rather me use a Fentanyl patch because he says it doesn't go through your liver and other organs so he feels it is safer.

Anyway.. I hope you all find a good solution.. Keep us posted!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.