Fentanyl Rollercoaster One good day, No sleep for two, then crash.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was on 25 mcg patch change every 72 hours Fentanyl for 5 years. Then my tolerance flew the coop. 1 year ago the doctor increased me to 50 mcg /72 hours. It lasted 6 months the 3rd day fall out was awful. At the 6 month problem time the doctor increased me to 75 mcg Fentanyl patch change every 72 hours.  Since the increase things have been a nightmare. I shake like someone with Parkinsons, I am up for two days with no sleep after putting on a new patch and the 3rd day I sleep for 24 hours. Day 2 I am foggy and feeling crappy to where I don't feel like I am alert enough to drive due to mental fog. I want my life back. I am on the patch for severe back pain, chronic pain syndrome, and fibromyalgia. I have previously been on all types of opiates and even had a pain pump which malfunctioned and was then removed. The patch was a good option as maintenance was better and less stress on my organs. I am wondering if I went to the matrix patch , instead of the gel patch,and cut it into thirds and put on 1/3 of the patch each day for three days, and then repeated the cycle for each months useage would this work to alleviate the symptoms of day 2 & 3 burnout? ( Because I would have a fresh patch on each day) I also feel that maybe day one is too strong?  My body seem to absorb & deplete the patch quickly. My doctor absolutely will not prescribe the patch to be replaced every 48 hours. If I cut the 75 mcg patch into thirds and used 1/3 per day would I be getting a dose of 25 mcg each day or a dose of 75 mcg per day? I just can't figure that out. Any advice   on both questionswould be greatly appreciated. I want some semblence of life back. I feel like I am living in a bad nightmare Thank you!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry I can't give you any advice cutting it in 3's.  I was on Fentanyl 100 for 12 years and have spent the past 9 months in hell getting off of it.  The problem with Fent is that a tolerance builds up and up and up and then what?  The doctor will only increase it so much, so what happens when the doctor is at the limit? Or, as in my case, my doctor decided that he was no longer going to prescribe narcotics to any patient for any reason.  I slept pretty much all the time when I was on it and it wasn't until I got off of it that my family realized just how drugged I really was.  Because I'm now more alert, more active and generally feel alive.  The problem is, Fentanyl has left me with Restless Leg Syndrome, anxiety (NEVER have I had this before), nerve pain and scars from blisters that formed initially during acute withdrawals.

I honestly wish you the best and wish I could help.  I taped my patches so I could taper a little at a time, mine were the type that couldn't be cut.  The best advice a lot of us would give you is to find something else that will actually work and get off the Fent as soon as possible.  Those of us who have been through the withdrawal journey feel that this drug should only be used for end of life situations.  Oh, and the doctors that prescribed it many times have no clue how to get you off of it.  If it wasn't for this group I would never have made it.  I've been up almost 4 nights now because my legs won't stop, and it 's not just my legs, it's my arms too and I finally took myself to a neurologist who prescribed the latest and greatest medication for RLS but it isn't working.  Fentanyl is 70-100 times stronger than heroin and it doesn't discriminate.  Experience shows that pretty soon you'll reach your tolerance and your doctor won't give you more.  Please be careful, and if you ever need us, we'll be here to help anytime.  Good luck and let me know if you have any questions I CAN help you with vs. unsolicited advice.  Take care!  I'm praying you get the relief you seek.

Melissa

• Posted

The brand APOTEX is a matrix patch the medicine is in the adhesive. The patch feels like a shiny helium baloon and is about as thin. I cover it with a piece of a Duragesic patch cover. I discussed with my doctor first and she thought it was a brilliant way to wean off. I have been doing it for almost a week now. I cut a 75 into 3 pieces which gives me according to my dr 25 each day. So it takes care of the 3rd day fall out. I am trying to wean off and the withdrawals started quickly but are not as intense going slower.  Eventually I will cut each patch into 6 pieces taking it down to 12.5 and so on. There is no gel in the matrix patch so no danger of overdose or accidentally getting too much at once .Thanks going out to everyone for th prayers and support. I send the same back to each of you.
  • Posted

I am not sure you are able to cut a patch..  What type are you on?  The Watson brand is like a big pillow that has all the fentynal in the pillow.. You can even put the gel around.. There was someone in houston that had their patch burst and they got all of it at once and passed away.   The mylan brand looks like it has individual bubbles that perhaps open at different times.. but if you cut it, you will definately cut the bubbles open and again, you may get too much.. I would definatelly talk to your doctor before you do anything.  Do NOT play with your patches.. Talk to your doctor and explain what the deal is.  You may be able to put a lower dose. If you want to try the 25 mcg, they can give you a script for it.. NO cutting of patches.. I would never cut one up.  It could be dangerous!!
    • Posted

See the reply I made above. smile A matrix patch has no gel. I did have it approved thru my doctor first. The medicine is in the adhesive It is thin as a mylar helium balloon thats actually what it looks like on the side that touches your skin. This is a far safer form of the patch and cannot be as easily abused nor accidentally overdosed unless Iimagined you put a heating pad on top of it,. The brand I am using is calle APOTEX look on line for conversations about the difference betwen a gel reervoir patch and a matrix patch, sometimes e ven our doctors have to be educated. Mine always welcomes my research.

• Posted

I agree with CHERYL - don't cut the patches. I taped little strips on my patch but that was because I had to get off completely.

• Posted

If you are still trying to get off your patches ask your pharmacist to get you a matrix patch. You will see what I mean. It can be cut as there is no gel reservoir. Best of luck to you Melisa . Together we can all do this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.