Fentanyl Withdrawal

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am currently on 100mcg every 72 hours and have been on it for 11 years. The doctors here in the U.S. and more specifically in Florida are getting to where they won't prescribe narcotics anymore. My dr told me a month ago that he won't be giving out narcotics anymore, SO, I've decided to get myself off the patch. The reason I'm on it is for Lupus and Fibromyalgia. Even though I've never abused it, I know I'm addicted to it because I feel the withdrawal if I'm late or miss putting in a new patch. The plan: In Sept, I'll go to 75mcg, then Oct 50mcg, Nov 25mcg then Dec 12mcg. I should be off by January. Can anyone give me advise? Do you think this plan will work? I'm VERY VERY scared because I know how I feel after missing ONE DAY! I'd love to hear from anyone for any input. Thanks!

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Melissa,

I just picked up your post.  Hopefully you are well on your way off Fentanyl,

I know the withdrawals are beyond words.  This is how I successfully went off Fentanyl 75mcg every 48 hours patch.  It took 2 months, and I did

not have any withdrawal symptoms.    I did not change the dosage of the

patch, but each time I put on a new patch I cut a very small amount off.

After doing this for 8 weeks I was down to a sliver and weened with no nwithdrawals!  I tried other ways to going off the patch, however the withdrawal were too severe.  Taking 8 weeks and tapering slightly with each new patch worked great!  It feels wonderful being off the Fentanyl! will never go on that medication again.  It feels like a new lease on life without it,

i didn't realize how much it was making me feel drained all the time.  I had no energy to do things I used to enjoy.

Good luck and best to you!

Cassie16

• Posted

Thank you SO much for your reply! It's so encouraging! I'm going to start taping a little bit off (mine can't be cut) so I'll let you know how it goes. I'm starting tonight.

Melissa

• Posted

OK EVERYONE ~

I've started taping. Tonite was my third patch that I taped and I increased it just a smidgeon. The only problems so far is an increase in pain, and gosh it just about knocks me to my knees. But other than that, so far, so good. After talking with so many of you I decided to take it in my own hands and start taping NOW instead of waiting til Oct doing 25mcg drops per month. I want to thank everyone that's been so inspirational to me. 2Leigh65923, SUSAN, Deb and oh most recently 1Cassie16 and too many more to mention. Please stay in touch and let's keep helping each other get off this poison!

• Posted

Awesome news.  You may need help with your pain as you go off.  I do physical therapy three times per week and walk daily.  I also do exercises at home and make adjustments to my bones to keep them in correct alignment.  I still take some break thru meds but nothing as powerful as fentynal.   Keep us updated on your journey.  You are not alone!  Ask for help with your pain.  
    • Posted

Thank you so much Susan.  I wish I could walk and exercise.  I was a college athlete and now I can barely go to the gricery store.  I have Systemic Lupus.....it is what it is.  I have a LOT of hope for getting off the Fent and seeing where life takes me.  Im so fortunate to have a wife that supports me in every way.  Thanks again!
    • Posted

As the Bible says Jesus paid for our healing by his stripes.  I read healing scriptures and claim my healing daily.  I also thank God for it.  Even on days I don't feel it I chose by faith to continue to claim it and it is happening.  Ii pray you know him like I do and more abundantly.  When I first got hurt I asked my Pastor what should I do and he said sing praises to God.  I thought he was nuts.  I was hurting and he was telling me to sing.  I can't carry a tune in a bucket.  I finally played my praise music as loud as possible and started singing along.  It was amazing how much better I

• Posted

That is a very good plan, Melissa. That is what I did. A Dr wanted me to do doses further and further apart and it was just too hard. Cutting the dose gradually worked. BUT I was not able to do it without taking percocet at the same time. You have pain receptors in your brain that will be screaming to be fed. You will need something to calm them and will need something for the pain you havn't really felt in a long time. Print off some good info from reputable medical websites and bring to your Dr. Additional meds are necessary for easy and complete withdrawal. If he/she won't give them to you, seek someone else. Share your good step down plan to show you are serious and not just seeking more drugs. Much love and luck to you!

• Posted

I do have Lortab for breakthrough pain, but a very limited amount, and once I use them up - dr is not going to prescribe more....Soooo I very rarely use it, only if im at my breaking point coming off the Fentanyl.  Gosh Idon't know what I would do without y'all!  Thank you so much for your support....

• Posted

I was on 75mcg every 48 hours and I had enough. I weaned off faster then i shold have but i wanted off now not in 6 months lIke others and my doctor suggested. Against my doctors advice I went from 75 to done in a month. The RLS was the worst part and insomnia. Tomorrow will be 17 days without the patch or any pills at all, besides my pain being back worse then ever before it's been ok but I still have trouble sleeping. You can do this, don't let these patches or doctors dictate your life.

• Posted

I can't imagine how you suffered doing it that way.  The RLS makes you want to shoot yourself thats for sure!  That's what I dread the most - RLS.  BUT - should I need it, I have a medication called Requip thats for RLS should it start.  Thank you so much for your encouraging note.  I always welcome any new ideas and I love success stories like yours.  Today I'm feeling a little bit of w/d, shaky and restless but its def on the mild side so not complaining.  Thank you again!

• Posted

only just saw your post. Did you manage to come off fentanyl successfully? I am curious because I have been on 75 mcg for a few years now. It no longer does a lot for pain relief, I came off it a few years ago, and the process was horrible,...a bit like having a really bad dose of flu and some more....shaking and shivering etc. then I went back on it a while later, and now I tolerate it, but I'm not happy. Pain still bad, but I will not up the dose.. I would rather be off it!

• Posted

Yes ma'am. I've been completely off for 4 months. Still having a few issues but doing much better. I'll never subject myself to that again. Coming off Fent was the most horrible thing I've ever experienced. Thank you for asking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.