Fentons procedure

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi ladies I've been offered a Fentons procedure. I'm worried after reading that it opens up your vaginal opening. Is this true? I don't want to all of a sudden become loose. I've had 4 children and work hard to stay fit. Just an old tear keeps tearing. Any thoughts

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Annie, I don't know what a Fentons procedure is, and I don't know your exact conditions, but before you try a procedure that you're worried about, have you tried going the natural route (baking soda baths, Borax (sodium borate) treatments, various oils, dietary changes, and slowly stretching your vagina with a dilator)?

If you have LS and haven't tried these things, and there's no rush, it might be good to try them first.

Anna

• Posted

Never heard of this you should ask the doctor that offers you this in the first place if your tearing it mute help stop that
  • Edited

A fentons procedure will cut the skin which keeps tearing and then stitch it up.....   It doesnT affect your internal muscles, but should  help stop the tearing.    

Theres an alternative procedure, called the plymouth procedure which looks like it might make a neater job.....   Look up dr  Frappel and the plymouth procedure and there is a video which you can watch.....

i watched it with my eyes mostly closed.....  Eek!        dr frappel has retired now, but there must be other doctors who perform it.

good luck!

• Posted

I had the Fentons procedure 3 years ago and it failed, have just had the Z plasty as performed in Plymouth procedure. My wonderful doctor even managed to divide the area hiding the clitoris.

Hoping for a great result, will keep you posted.

Regards

Elizabeth

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth. I've just googled the plymouth procedure. This looks much more suitable for me. I don't have insurance so will have to pay privately. Do you have any idea how much the procedure costs? Thanks for your help. I didn't want to go ahead with the Fentons.

• Posted

Hi Annie,

I was lucky to have private insurance so only cost me $500 Australian plus some extras. The Plymoth procedure or Z Plasty is a technique they use for burns victims to remove the scar tissue, so sounds a lot more promising, so fingers crossed.

My doctor also tried a procedure called the Mona Lisa Touch, a series of three laser treatments that repair the damaged tissue, unfortunately this was not enough for me, but could be worth trying if the Lichen Sclerosus is not too advanced.

My operation was only two days ago, so will keep you informed,

good luck

Kind Regards

Elizabeth

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

Just wondering how you are getting on after your Z plasty? I'm currently looking into getting this done after a failed Fenton's.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Summer,

The Z plasty is truly a miracle. I have had this condition for 14 years and the last 5 have been a struggle.

The Z plasty has totally repaired the skin where it always tears and my surgeon has also divided the labia that was covering my clitoris.

My husband and I have been able to have intercourse and I cannot tell you how wonderful I feel.

It has given us our intimacy back and I can never thank my wonderful surgeon enough. I know it it early days, but so far everything is amazing.

Please look up a procedure called the Plymoth procedure by Dr Johnathon Frappel. It is virtually the same operation, maybe try Googling Z plasty and see who you can find.

I will keep you posted, but so far so good.

Also, make sure you get a biopsy, as I never had one and the Lichen Sclerosis was diagnosed by sight only. I had a biopsy during the Z plasty and it is acutally Chronic Ezcema. If I had the right diagnosis earlier, maybe there would have been a different outcome.

Best of luck,

Kind Regards,

Elizabeth

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

My condition doesn't sound as though it is as bad as yours was. I have never been diagnosed with lichen sclerosis, just a chronic tearing which lead to a build up of scar tissue that was removed in the Fentons but it has not made any difference. The tearing has been going on for probably around 9 years now, but it has been in the last 2 years that it became so unbearable I couldn't have sex at all. At 29 and with no children yet I really worry about the possibility of ever getting my sex life back and having children, but it sounds as though there is hope!

Really glad to hear that the z-plasty has worked for you. I have read about the Plymouth procedure which sounds like a good option.

Do keep me posted on your progress. I hope all goes well.

Thanks again for sharing.

Summer

• Posted

Do they do this for rectal fissures too?

• Posted

Hi Annie,

I have tried everything after being diagnosed with Lichen Sclerois 12 years ago. Three years ago I had the Fentons procedure and sorry to say it made absolutely no difference.

I live in Melbourne Australia and was lucky enough to be sent to a wonderful women's health physiotherapist. She put me in touch with a Doctor who does the Mona Lisa Laser treatment., which helps repair the tissue and skin around the vulva area.

Unfortunately, it did little for me, however the same Doctor performs a procedure called a Z plasty, a procedure used on burns victims to get rid of scar tissure etc. he does not have a lot of faith in the Fentons procedure, saying it fails most of the time.

If you look up Dr Johnathon Frappel he does a similar procedure to the Z plasty and there is a video you can watch.

I will let you know how it goes, fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Kind Regards,

Elizabeth 68553

• Posted

The procedure done by Dr frappell  is called the Plymouth procedure.  The video is still on his website but Dr Frappell retired in July of this year.

Suggest you look at the video and then be very choosy about which  consultant you see.....

good luck

xx

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth

I know you posted this many years ago but wondering if you still check this?

I am in Melbourne and have had a failed fentons. Now looking for the next option.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,

Fiona

• Posted

Hey Fiona,

Wondering if you ever did seek further treatment for your failed Fenton's procedure? I am currently seeing a pelvic floor physio who has given me dilators and exercises to do. I just don't have much hope at this stage that I will ever be back to normal, sexually. I'd love to hear your experience since this post.

• Posted

I would not advise Fentons procedure except as a last resort. I had this done six years ago. I was not informed of any complications. in fact, I was told there were none! I was not told that it might not work which it didn't. It took a long time to heal, badly, and is worse than before. I am now wondering whether the trauma may have actually triggered lichen sclerosus? Maybe the Z-plasty is more successful or maybe I made a poor choice of surgeon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.