Ferinject

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, 

Just had my first infusion. The doctor ordered the maximum dosage, 1000 mg, and he wants to do it  every Wednesday for three  consecutive  weeks.   I got a headache on Friday and it has lasted through today, which is Saturday.   From what I read, that’s a common side effect.   

1.   Can anyone give me an idea how long until it disappears?  

2.  Also, has anyone else ever had three consecutive weekly infusions of 1000 mg? I’m new to this, but it seems like a lot in a very short time.    And I f I have such a headache today, and I have another infusion in just four days, I dread thinking what I’m going to feel like. 

(A quick bit of background: I’ve just moved to 1.6 miles above sea level,  which means we have 25% less oxygen up here – – I suppose that’s why the symptoms of my anemia finally made themselves known.  My hemoglobin is 8.6, hematocrit in the mid-20s, and iron 25.    I’ve struggled just to get a flight of stairs, my heart slamming and pounding, and then  over the past week I started blacking-out if I stood up quickly.  I was taken to the hospital and diagnosed, and had the infusion the next day.  And yes, I’m thinking I might need to move back down to sea level.)

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

HI Trish....sorry for your problem with your iron levels. You didn't mention what is causing the problem, has your doctor investigated that or is he just addressing the symptoms. It's important to know what is causing that because depending on what is causing the low levels you may need to take supplement as maintainence. Iron infusion is very intrusive and will certainly cause a gambit of side affects. Just a suggestion....get your doctor to determine what is causing the deficiency and if you can supplement with a tablet there will be no terrible side affects and it is far safer to increase your levels at a slow even pace rather that hit the body hard with infusions. 

As an aside, I have Celiacs therefore my ability to absorb nutrients is diminished so I do have to supplement with iron tablets, there are many reasons why people's levels are not adequate and it's important to know why.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.   I have coeliac disease as well.  I can’t do the tablets.   I also have a bone marrow failure disease, so that may be causing it. We’re doing tests to figure out what caused it, but initially he’s just trying to get me to a level of iron that I can live with. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.