Ferritin a 4! Can supplements alone raise it??? If taking injections, best advice to ease effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, my ferritin just continues to drop. I have extremely heavy periods that I don't feel I ever get caught up before the next one hits.  Not sure what's going on with me!!  I have a few questions....

1:  can ferritin be raised with supplements alone??   If so, how much?

2:  for those that have had injections. What's the best form with the least side effects?  Any suggestions to ease side effects?  

3:  with a ferritin of 4, should I see a hematologist?  My cardiologist(I went to for crazy heart rate) says to just take a supplement once a day?  

Thanks so much for any help you can give me. I'm tired of suffering with insomnia, lightheadness, tingling lips, arms, legs, horrible anxiety, funny mouth issues around period, major brain fog, being exhausted, major spots, just crazy stolid that I think being anemic is causing!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

you need to get a prepscription for iron tablets from your gp.. 

because the dose of iron in over the counter supplements is too low ..

if you take prepscription iron daily 

your ferritin will rise 

your gp May refer you for an iron infusion ..to get your ferritin up quickly 

but you need to get your ferritin up it’s dangerous as it puts a strain on your heart .. 

youll be surprised how quickly your iron levels will go up .. 

• Posted

I'm just seeing your reply. Thanks so much for replying. I will ask for prescription strength. I kinda thought the same thing. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.