Ferritin down (a bit) but TS% up

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've looked before posting but I can't find much about this..I got my latest results today.8 weeks and 4 treatments ago they were: SF 486,TS 65%.Today SF 408,TS 86%.I haven't had any infections that I know of and I know that the amount you drop goes down when you get lower.But can anyone account for why my TS% should jump back up like that?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi eric, I think we have discussed this before.  I have the same problem although I my ferritin has been <50 for years.  I personally spoke to Prof Pierre Brissot of Rennes, France who I have found is the only researcher who addresses TS% to any degree.

I was worried because Prof Brissot refers to high TS% as being toxic.  I came away none the wiser really, although Prof Brissot suggested I have more frequent venesections with a lesser quantity draw.  He did speak on TS at the conference explaining that the TS% does not reduce till ferritin has been reduced to <50.  He demonstrated that with a graph by showing ferritin line coming down at a diagonal line, but the TS% stays horizontal at the top till the ferritin values were completely at the bottom of the graph.

Not that we stay at a straight line for either of course.  As our TS% is the result of our serum iron divided by our TIBC, then really the cause is behind those two results.  E.g. I have a result recorded wherein my serum iron was 47H and my TIBC was 44L resulting in a TS% of 107%H and my ferritin was only 57, another result in same order: 25 - 50 - 50H - 67, and another 30 - 58 - 52H - 24.

So it just does not seem to make any sense.  The only thing I can think of is that I had 9 years of severe symptoms before I was diagnosed and treated, and not all damage done by that is reversed.

My notes show that the lowest TS% I had was when I was being venesected 2 monthly after bad results when haemotologist tried 4 monthly.  I had two results of 42% and 44%.  Everything was low then except for the TIBC which rises when the serum iron is low.

For curiousity, they read in the same order as above:

27 - 63 - 42 - 18

26 - 60 - 44 - 36

• Posted

Thanks Sheryl.You're a mine of information.The only irony is that after 6 months of fortnightly venesections I have started to feel slightly less fatigued in the last few days.I know from the past,however,that this seems to be a cycle and the tiredness can come back just as bad.

• Posted

Unfortunately, it seems all that we can do is keep up those venesections and live a healthy lifestyle.  And wait impatiently for it to get better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.