Ferritin drop drastically after iron infusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

I experienced ferritin drop drastically after iron infusion. My ferritin drop from 512 ug/L to 75 within 6 weeks after iron infusion. Iron deficiency symptoms appeared but my Hb was ok 12.4. Hematologist advised to go for 2nd iron infusion and continue to monitor.

Anyone experience such huge drop of ferritin in short period?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes! Million dollar question. I am 42 yo female with Grave's and Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid diseases). Thyroid ablation 5 years ago. At age 30, had ferritin level of 13. Normal hematocrit and hemoglobin. My ferritin has hovered between 7-14 the last 12 years. I have profound 24/7 lightheadedness and fatigue. Finally got insurance authorization for iron infusions this year. First infusion took ferritin level from 7 to 119. It dropped to 26 in 2 months. Second infusion took ferritin level to 248. It dropped to 82 within 3 weeks and then 4 weeks later was 54. After the first infusion, the first 4 weeks was pure torture with exacerbated symptoms. The next 4-6 weeks were AMAZING - my lightheadness was improved and I was functioning better than I had in 15 years. The second infusion was hard to tell because I had bronchitis - which I believe comes on from low ferritin (I get it frequently). I did not notice a significant, sustained improvement. My doctor has approved one more infusion. He says if no significant improvement again, I cannot do them anymore because the ferritin level drops so fast and he is concerned about potential side effects. Have you made any discoveries?

• Posted

46yo female referred to hematologist for low ferritin (11) suspected IDA. Hematologist states my level should be in 100s (confused why lab ranges are 10-200 if that is the case). I have been chasing my TSH and Hashimoto's symptoms since diagnosis in 2001. Hematologist just informed me that TSH impossible to regulate w/ low ferritin. Attributes low ferritin to VSG weight loss surgery in MAY 2016, but have labs where ferritin was 11 in JUN 2015.

About to start 1st of 5 infusions tomorrow. Hematologist states if ferritin drops after, it would indicate problem elsewhere and I would be referred to gastroenterologist to check for bleeding. Hope to feel better soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.