Ferritin less than 1.5, normal range 15-158 for women

Posted , 3 users are following.

I did not expect my anemia to be that bad. Got results, Ferritin less than 1.5, normal range 15-158 for women. Is it possible to fix it with oral supplements or do I need an infusion? I was diagnosed with anemia 2 years ago and was hoping to fix it with dietary changes, but obviously it did not work.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure as I'm still trying to figure it out myself. My ferritin is a 4 and I was told supplements alone will not bring it up at this point?  I then see where supplements alone do help people. I just started a iron pill about three weeks ago. I decided to try that first. I will retest in another month. If there's no rise in my bloodwork, I will look into injections. 

Do you know why your ferritin is so low?

• Posted

Hi, have you tried Bisglycinate iron supplement?, I used it, I opened up the capsule into half a glass water with effervescent vitamin C tablet in it, vitamin C makes absorb much better, with Bisglycinate iron you get far less side effects, gut issues, I took 1 capsule in a morning and 1 at night.
  • Posted

it has been somewhat low for a long time now, I think because my diet is not very rich in iron, I don't eat very much meat and my periods are quite heavy. However lately I started to exercise much more, and probably my body uses much more iron when building muscles, so my ferritin dropped even more. I do not see other reasons or symptoms of internal/intestinal bleeding.

• Posted

Hi, that is extremely low, you can buy a supplement call Bisglycinate iron supplement, you get it in capsules form, I used it and my ferritin level rose from 39 to 138 in 8 weeks which I thought was pretty fast, Iron supplements take time to raise the ferritin level, the good thing about Bisglycinate is far less side effects, gut issues, I had none, what I did I opened up the capsule into half a glass of water with effervescent vitamin C tablet in it, vitamin C helps the Iron to absorb a lot better, I don't think diet alone will raise your ferritin level fast enough, you would need to eat things like chicken liver or other animal liver that contain Heme iron the best absorbed, plants have none Heme iron, does not absorb well, what does your GP say.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.