ferritin level - at what level do you get symptoms ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I am a 42 old male. I have a healthy life style ( sport , diet , ... ) . For 2 months now, I have the following symptoms : fatique, muscle and join pain, occasional headache. 2 blood tests indicated that I could have haemochromatosis. Additional tests ( echo, mri, ... )  and blood work do not show any sign that could explain the elevated ferritin level. My iron is 162, TIBC is 249, ferritin is 610 and saturation is 65 %. My hematocrit, Hb and all other parameters are normal. Genetic test was done and it was negative for the usual mutations ( C282Y and H63D ) but also for S65C. According to the internist, it could still be a rare genetic mutation. I'm now having weekly phlebotomy to bring back my iron levels to normal. My internist however is not really convinced that the symptoms ( joint pain, fatique, ... ) are related to this because my ferritin level is elevated but not very high. However my GP says that it is  possible to have symptoms with even slightly elevated ferritin level. Are there people on this forum that also experience symptoms even with "mildly" elevated ferritin levels ( e.g. 600 ) ? Also can I expect that these symptoms go away once I'm back to normal ferritin levels ?  Also I'm having some symptoms that appear not to be the usual problems associated with iron loading (e.g. occasional headache, muscle pain, occasional tinteling sensation ). Anybody experiencing some symtomps  that do not match with the "usual" suspects ? I also had a extensive neurological exam ( MRI, EMG, ... ) to indicate any neurological problem. All were negative.

Regards,

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dear P36240,

I had a similar situation recently (posted several months ago - regarding Niacin).  The basis of the post was that I am heterozygous for C282Y (carrier) and had similar symptoms to those you describe.  I had been taking 2000mg of Niacin for several years for cholesterol.  The prolonged use resulted in liver toxicity which caused the issues.  I ceased taking the Niacin and returned to normal within a few weeks.  You didn't mention if you had liver function tests (LFT's).  Mine were elevated because of the toxicity.  If you are taking meds, supplements, etc. I would suggest you get LFT's and speak with your physician to see if that may be the issue.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

• Posted

Hi,

I'm not taking any meds or supplements and my LFTs are ok. I also had an echo to check for fatty lever or cirrose and both are negative. Thanks for you response !

• Posted

Even if you did have haemochromatosis, you would have to find effective  treatments for your joint pain and fatigue.  Venesections and reduction in ferritin do not always alleviate these problems - not for everyone.  I am C282Y/C282Y with aggressive loading but have been de-ironed for many years now (<50) and now have 3 monthly maintenance vx, but still suffer from fatigue (very short days), bone and muscle pain (had to have both hips replaced because of osteo-necrosis) and had to give up work which alleviated these issues among others.

But each issue has to be treated as if I did not have HH anyway.  My heart pain (including arrhythmia) dissipated with vx, but comes back if my ferritin level increases to 80 for some reason.  For me, this is the only issue that resolves with vx.  I did not have liver problems but a whole lot of other issues which are worked on independently. 

Hormones can be affected by HH and it sneaks up on you, and low testosterone can cause some of your symptoms.  This generally does not come good by itself even with vx.  Ask for your pituitary gland hormones to be checked too, as well as Vit D and Vit B12.  Deficiencies in these can have a major effect on your health.

My husband is H63D/H63D and his testosterone went very low, he is unable to absorb Vit B12 and has to have injections.  He had a lot of problems until this was discovered.  I can't absorb Vit D and tablets do not help at all.  I was put on to a practitioners' brand of Vit D3 drops.  Blood test showed an immediate increase.

So ask your dr to continue his investigations on your health issues, and regardless, donating about 500 mL every 3 months is usually good for people anyway.

• Posted

can i please ask my dad has very high serum ferritin at 749, and also vitiman b12, should be under 771, and is 810. He was diagnoised with prostate cancer and wondering if this could have raised it?

• Posted

As you are querying this on a haemochromatosis forum, can I assume he has been diagnosed with haemochromatosis? After googling acceptable levels of B12, 810 is within that range. Any form of cancer can raise serum ferritin as does inflammation.

I have a B12 injection everything 3 months to help increase the volume of my blood to aid venesection as, now after 30+ years of venesections, my blood is difficult to remove.

My husband was found to be very B12 deficit after suffering 2 years of severe depression after Hodgkins Lymphoma which anti-depressants would not help. A B12 deficit causes neurological problems. My husband's well being was improved considerably.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

Symptoms can vary some people even after treatment when in maintenance phase which is under 50 experience awful effects but if going by guidelines they state 1000 is place you will get damage or have side effects.

In your case it sounds like you have some form of illness some people can have a cold and it makes them like as you described also colds can last for months in some people without the nasal type symptoms.

I hope they did the usual tests kidneys/liver thyroid these all can cause those symptoms you have mentioned even diabetes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.