Ferritin levels.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I have high red blood cell counts but very low ferritin (iron storage) my ferritin down to 15.I do have a blood disorder but this should not be happening. I can not take iron because it brings up hemo hemocrit etc.I have to bring red blood cells down. All doctors say oh take a chemo pill ( side effects anemia)what can I do to just bring up the storage. The anemia is making my condition worst. Doctors don't seem to really care😢??

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Dear Carowel, you won't believe my ferritin was as low as 3 and also had vitamin d deficiency but fortunately my haemoglobin was not so low. I was so dizzy and that made me psychologically so depressed. But now it's been almost two months that I have been taking iron pill that is 100mg and I am already feeling so.muh better and I also eat very healthy food with lots of iron contained food. I wish my iron was 15 as yours. Don't worry you will be fine. But let's see what other says. If your doctor is not serious means that you're not seriously ill. Even I wasn't taken seriously by doctor but one of the doctor said she had never see any one with such a low iron level as mine. You will get back to normal if you keep on eating healthy food as I have mentioned above.

Love Pema

• Posted

HI Carol....you didn't say if your condition is hereditary or if it's secondary. If it's secondary your doctor should investigate that as it is important. Your ferritin is definitely low and sadly you aren't in a position to take a supplement, not to mention ferritin levels are very slow to increase even with supplementation. If you don't know the reason for your increased RBC it would be a good idea to find out. 

Chemo would not be my choice however if you decide on that get the doctor to tell you each and every ingredient in the chemo, investigate those ingredients and then make a decision. The side effects of the chemo may far exceed the effects of low ferritin.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.